Editorials

Happy Holidays vs Merry Christmas

The last few years there’s been a cyber-uproar over the fact that businesses, TV commercials, and people in general say “Happy Holidays” instead of “Merry Christmas.”  I’ve received chain emails, seen chain posts on Facebook, and even comedian Jeff Dunham has included it in his Christmas Special show.

The beef is that CHRIST is in CHRISTMAS, or, if you prefer, Jesus is the reason for the season.  Well, I have a few problems with this logic.

I will start by saying that I was raised a Christian, and I celebrate Christmas.  I am not, however, under some ignorant illusion that everybody does or should celebrate Christmas.  Not everybody is Christian, nor does everyone believe what I believe.  Quite frankly, I doubt anyone else believes what I believe personally.

My first problem with the “pro Christmas” crowd is that they assume “Happy Holidays” is somehow some kind of code for saying “Merry Christmas.”  This is sheer arrogance on the part of the “Christians” who peddle this stupid shit.  Christmas is NOT the only holiday we celebrate this time of year.  There is Thanksgiving and New Years Day.  And depending on what you believe, you could celebrate Hanukkah or Kwanza. Imagine for second that you’re Jewish and people just keep saying “Merry Christmas” to you all the time.  The intention is good, but that doesn’t mean anything to you since you don’t celebrate Christmas.

Since there’s no way to tell what someone’s beliefs are just by looking at them, it’s just easier to say “Happy Holidays” than take a poll before making any wishes.  The intent is the same whether someone says “Merry Christmas” or “Happy Holidays.”  They are wishing you well.  Why some of you Christians want to get bent out of shape about this is beyond me.  People mean well when the say “Happy Holidays” so don’t get pissed about it.  Take it in the spirit in which it was given.  Do onto others…and such.

Another thing you Christians need to realize before forwarding that email or reposting that Facebook status is that this country was founded on religious freedom.  That means that you are free to believe what you want to believe and that there is no official religion here in the USA.  So I don’t have to believe what you believe and if I want to say “Happy Holidays” instead of “Merry Christmas” I can do that and there’s not a damn thing wrong with it.

Please people, stop getting pissed about every little thing.  Stop forwarding your crap to me.  Stop posting stupid chain posts on Facebook.  I know exactly what Christmas is all about.  And whether someone says “Happy Holidays” or “Merry Christmas,” that person is wishing you well and you shouldn’t be offended or go off on a tangent.

19 thoughts on “Happy Holidays vs Merry Christmas

1. *claps*

I wholeheartedly agree. What annoys me is that, as a Catholic, I don’t celebrate Christmas until it’s Christmas (seriously, has no one heard of Advent?) and the entire Christmas holiday, for Catholics (and I believe Episcopalians and Methodists), isn’t over until January 6. So while everyone has transitioned out of “Merry Christmas,” I’m just getting started with the celebrating! And it’s just plain rude to assume someone is of the same beliefs as yourself and you’re not doing God any harm by saying “Happy Holidays” rather than “Merry Christmas”.

Posted by Suzanna | November 16, 2011, 10:57 pm
    • Yes, I’ve heard of Advent. I haven’t done it in years, but I remember lighting the candles before dinner every night. The first week you lit one per night, the second week you lit the second…and so on.

I just get so tired of everyone thinking that what the believe is the only way to believe and forsaking those who don’t believe as they do. The truth is, no one really knows which faith is correct, if any of them are at all. I personally believe the truth is somewhere in the middle of all of the religions and that people take this all way too seriously.

Posted by twindaddy | November 17, 2011, 10:16 am
  2. I’m not religious at all. I can’t follow something that preaches love and forgiveness, but is the number one cause of war and death in the world. It’s just a bunch of hypocrites trying to get everybody to do what they say. I’ve met too many overly religious people in my life who hate everybody who isn’t just like them. That’s not what I took from the Bible back when I was a kid and went to church. I just can’t figure it out. I say happy holidays, but I don’t mean it, so it’s like a joke that only I know. I don’t care if their holidays are happy.

Posted by beefybooyawn | November 18, 2011, 2:11 am
  3. I never thought of it that way. Good point!! I have always been one of the pro “merry Christmas” saying. But you make a very good point and I think I will have to rethink what I say from now on…

Posted by Catrina | November 18, 2011, 11:32 am
  4. I think the last sentence says it all. Everyone should take a deep breath and think about what they are getting pissed off about!
    I make my own cards and the last 2 years put Merry Christmas on them because the family that is Jewish I know would not be offended and celebrates aspects of Christmas.
    I think of Christmas as a non-denominational holiday with Santa bringing gifts.
    Great post!

Posted by susielindau | December 28, 2011, 6:13 pm
  5. Reblogged this on Stuph Blog and commented:

I think it’s time for this post again considering what time of year it is.

Posted by twindaddy | December 7, 2012, 10:15 pm
  6. Amen! The anger and non-acceptance of others is the complete opposite of Jesus and they don’t see it.

Posted by Life With The Top Down | December 8, 2012, 7:42 am
  7. I suppose we could always ask someone what religion they are and how they would like to addressed before we wish them Happy Holidays?,,lol,,fuck it,,they are lucky for me to even acknowledge them :)

Posted by nikkix2 | December 8, 2012, 8:09 am
  8. ACTUALLY…. ‘Happy Holidays’ is said to lump together whatever you celebrate in late December (Hanukkah, Festivus, Christmas, Kwanzaa, etc) + New Year’s, as most people do not see each other in between this time. You’re so butthurt and it’s hilarious.

P.S. I would also like to point out that I am a ginormous douche and my reading comprehension skills suck.

Posted by normal human being | December 24, 2012, 11:53 am