Video Games

Will there ever be a KOTOR3?

SWKOTR2_intro_large

For years, gamers have been clamoring for a third and final chapter in the Knights of the Old Republic saga.  We all want to know what has happened to our beloved characters.  Where did Revan go?  Did the Exile find him?  What did Revan find out in the Unknown Regions that turned him to the dark side?  What did he leave out there that he needed to go back and fight while abandoning all of his friends?

There actually were plans to produce a second sequel to Knights of the Old Republic, but KOTOR3 was cancelled when LucasArts hit a pretty rough patch in the latter part of the decade.  Why it hasn’t been picked back up mystifies me.  Per game designer John Stafford “we wrote a story, designed most of the environments/worlds, and many of the quests, characters, and items.”  Why not just pick up where they left off now that they are back on their feet?  If nothing else, the early success of The Old Republic should be a sign that gamers love Star Wars RPG.  There are handfuls of online petitions begging LucasArts to produce KOTOR3, yet it still hasn’t happened yet.

There is slightly good news, however, depending on your point of view.  If you are just dying to know the fate of Revan, that wait is over.  No, there are no plans (that I know of) for KOTOR3, but there is now a novel written by Drew Karpyshyn titled The Old Republic:  Revan.  This novel details Revan’s exploits after the end of the first KOTOR game.

While I’m eager to read this book to find what happened to Revan, and perhaps the Exile, at the same time I have a sense that because Revan’s story has already been told, there will be no third KOTOR game.  And that angers me.

LucasArts has been steadily declining in quality over the last decade, and I wonder if mismanagement has anything to do with it.  They’ve reportedly had many layoffs.  But I wonder how something as massive as The Old Republic can get the green-light but KOTOR3 can’t?  LucasArts has put out a steady string of failures in recent years.  The failures have outweighed the successes.  They did great with The Force Unleashed, then release a sequel that offered nothing really new, and a game that I completed in 6 hours.  I could go on and on about other disappointments, but then I’d be here all day.

They bottom line is this:  LucasArts is not listening to the consumer.  We want a KOTOR3.  Many others want a Battlefront 3 (another successful franchise that they abandoned).  Others want another addition to the Jedi Knight series.  I personally would like to see a sequel to Bounty Hunter, featuring Boba Fett instead of Jango Fett.  There are all kinds of possibilities for LucasArts out there, but they seem to be focused solely on making Clone Wars games, which leads me to believe they are getting their direction from Lucas himself, who somehow went from a genius in the 70′s to a senile old idiot in the 90′s who forgot how to create a compelling story.

Please, LucasArts, give the customer what they want.  Starting with KOTOR3.

17 thoughts on “Will there ever be a KOTOR3?

1. Thanks for the heads-up on the Revan book. I’ll be sure to get it.

I agree that LucasArts needs to revisit several of their video games series. KOTOR definitely needs KOTOR3, and I would love to see another entry in the Jedi Knight series (I only played Jedi Academy, but the lightsaber combat — which even included dual lightsabers and lightsaber staffs — is the best of all Star Wars games). Bounty Hunter would also be a good one, and I’d like to see a much improved sequel to Republic Commando (it had some good points, but could use considerable improvement). While I had fun with the Battlefront series, it is not likely succeed in today’s market — Battlefield 3, for example, is virtually identical in Conquest mode alone so LucasArts would have a lot of catching up to do.

Posted by Null | January 9, 2012, 12:09 pm
    • I wouldn’t mind a third Battlefront, but I see a lot of fans clamoring for it. Honestly, I don’t know what else they can do with it. Battlefront 2 included content from all six movies. They’d have to expand into EU to do a third Battlefront. If they did that I’d be pretty stoked.

I tried playing Jedi Academy, but couldn’t get into it. Perhaps I’ll give it another try.

Posted by twindaddy | January 9, 2012, 12:24 pm
  2. I agree with you completely. I am a huge Kotor fan and have longed for a true end to the brilliant story. I just can’t wrap my head around what LucasArts is doing over there, it’s like they don’t want to make money. They run into money trouble yet proceed to make the most expensive game of all time (the old republic MMO) which didn’t come close to their expected sales. I can’t image with the huge kotor and battlefront fan base out there how much money LucasArts would have made if they gave the consumer what they want and expected.

I feel your pain.

I guess we can only hope LucasArts realizes what a huge mistake they have made and fixes it by releasing a true Kotor 3. I hope one day this happens, so much.

Isaac.

Posted by Isaac Cooper | July 6, 2012, 10:43 am
    • I would love for someone at LA to come to that realization, but since it’s been this long I seriously doubt it will happen, especially considering that Revan’s story has already been told in a novel.

Posted by twindaddy | July 6, 2012, 4:46 pm
  3. I doubt they’re gonna make a kotor3 or a battlefront3 even though both would be awesome. I also felt kinda disappointed in the Revan book. (SPOILER ALERT!!) Half of the book was spent of completely unrelated crap just to sell TOR. The rest wasn’t really all that good. The ending was completely disappointing and didn’t bring a conclusive final end to Revan’s story.
    The only genuine success that Lucasarts has had so far is TOR.

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2012, 2:33 pm
  4. Please lucas arts make a KOTOR3

Posted by Anonymous | November 5, 2012, 11:31 am
  5. Please. No one likes Star Wars: The Old Republic. They NEED to make a KOTOR3. It would make tons of money, and it would make people happy…

Posted by Benson Hostetter | November 18, 2012, 1:59 pm
  6. I’ve seen this game, but I haven’t played it. It’s a PC game, correct? What is the game play like? Is it difficult? I have two nerdy girls 8 and 12. I’m wondering if they could get it, or if it is too adult – in which case only Mom could play it. Darn.

Posted by aliceatwonderland | December 20, 2012, 9:20 am
  7. Battlefront is being commissioned for the XBOX One. Hopefully it will be for the 360 as well. I do hope they do a KotOR 3. Apparently Team Gizka have released the add-ons for KotOR 2 including the HK factory

Posted by Alastair | June 28, 2013, 10:05 am

1. Pingback: Star Wars: The Old Republic: Revan – A Recap and a Rant | Stuphblog - May 4, 2013