Stuph

Smart phone doing dumb things

Some of you may have noticed (only the two of you that follow faithfully) yesterday that I posted a boatload of articles yesterday.  Five, to be exact.  Only one of which I wrote.

I was reading through my blogs last night on my phone.  I reblogged the first article from Matt Robert’s Official Page to help promote his book give away contest that he’s holding this month.  From there on every post that I read and “liked” was reblogged, as well.

I only found out this morning as I again was checking WordPress on my phone from Lorre over at Articles of Absurdity that I had reblogged a post entitled: 2 Days Late: Not pregnant, just Friday Frenzy (6/29/12).  Nice.  When her comment suggested it might turn off some readers I didn’t immediately understand what she meant.  After a bit of research I discovered what had happened.  Oy vey.

I was going to delete them all, but by the time I’d figured out what happened two of the authors had already thanked me for the reblogs.  Now I feel like an inadequate idiot instead of, you know, just a regular idiot.

I also received roughly 60 texts  yesterday from no number (yeah, no number – it didn’t even say unknown – where there should have been a phone number there was just empty space) that read as follows:

Om�y�Af��W��v���tѧ�
<��A�N�3`���bT\�m�r ͳ~�0�ˇ���eǭ����A�.M8W [:�0
��

What the hell is that?  They all said the same thing.  I think my phone is malfunctioning.  Or dying.  Or hates me.

I’ve had nothing but problems since I switched to Sprint.  Ugh.

13 thoughts on “Smart phone doing dumb things

1. It appears that might be a message from the Mother Ship..let me know when they’re coming..I’ll start packing now.

Posted by Life With The Top Down | July 2, 2012, 6:42 pm
  2. The fact that this happened to you, an IT person, makes me, I’m sorry to admit. Happy. Now I know I am not an idiot. Now I know that it can happen to anyone.

Then again, Tops above may just have a point!

Posted by Elyse | July 3, 2012, 7:50 am
    • The mothership cast me out pretty quickly. I doubt it would come back for me.

I don’t know what happened. I pressed like. It said “liking”. Then it said liked. I think it’s just time for a new phone…

Posted by twindaddy | July 3, 2012, 9:34 am
  3. Great work on this one, my friend!

Posted by The Hook | July 9, 2012, 1:58 pm
  4. Hey – I’m getting the same text messages. I found this page by searching for that string of random characters. How did you get them to stop? They are coming every 5 minutes! also on sprint…

Posted by Ryan | July 18, 2012, 6:20 pm
  5. My boyfriend is having the SAME issue. If you put the “test” into the search bar…it comes up to the google main page…this leads me to believe it’s a google issue– maybe a “notification” problem which would explain why there is no number associated with it…if anyone fimds a slution, please let me know! (he’s also on Sprint…)

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2012, 2:25 pm
  6. Get the same messages, also with sprint. I really want to know what these are!

Posted by Rob | August 4, 2012, 6:20 pm
  7. Well, It seems as if y’all aren’t alone, We also have sprint and this is just ridiculous the text are going to three of our five lines so far. They need to put a stop to this quickly or their going to lose a lot of customers unfortunately, us, being some of them. These seemingly encrypted text have become a nuisance of our time. Perhaps, if it continues someone is going to get legal because we doubt if they are going to just let people out of their contracts without paying the fee for dropped or early cancellation on contracts or,at least not without a fight. please report any news on this problem so we my find a solution. We haven’t had any problems with sprint up until now. I hope they get this issue fixed.

Posted by TARI | August 19, 2012, 2:34 am
    • I really haven’t had a problem with it since I posted this. I get one every now and again, but nothing like what happened that day.

I still plan on leaving Sprint but I’m dealing with some personal shit right now that’s postponed my decision.

Posted by twindaddy | August 20, 2012, 8:04 am