Things I Should Not Be Subjected To

Things I Should Not Be Subjected To: Incompetent Meteorologists

[en] weatherman weather forecaster, meteorolog...

I have no idea what this guy’s saying.  But I know he’s wrong.  (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

When I arrived at work this morning, I stopped for a moment before I got out of my car.  I brought up the weather channel app on my phone just to double-check what I had seen before this morning:  partly cloudy for some of the day and bright, bright sunshine for the rest of the day.

I wanted to leave my windows cracked.  For much of the last week, the heat index here has been over 100 degrees.  Most of those days I left the windows in my car rolled up as there was a chance of thunderstorms.  Allegedly.  Those storms never came here, though, and when I left work I was boiling for the first few minutes of my drive home.

So having confirmed that no rain was expected at all today, I cracked all four of my windows.  Guess what?  It rained.

I work in a server room.  That means there are no windows (to the outside anyway) in that room.  I had no idea it rained until I walked outside.  Luckily I didn’t crack my windows too awful much, and it didn’t appear that any of the rain got inside my car.  That, however, is beside the point.  I trusted the weather channel’s report that there would be no rain today and they were wrong.  Again.  Lesson learned, though.  I’ll never crack my windows at work again.

This whole ordeal got me thinking: why do people that screw up so often never get fired?  Think about it.  How often is the weatherman right?

I know meteorology isn’t an exact science, but c’mon. They have to at least be right more than never, right? Right? I mean, they said it was going to rain every day for a week and it never did. Doesn’t that guy have a boss somewhere saying, “Gee, Fred, your weather predictions suck?” If not then he should.

If I did my job incorrectly 75% of the time you can bet your ass I wouldn’t have a job any more. So why is it we tolerate this sort of failure on a regular basis from meteorologists?

Does anyone know where I can get reliable weather information?

15 thoughts on “Things I Should Not Be Subjected To: Incompetent Meteorologists

1. I’ve always thought that meteorology is the field folks who are never right should go into. Because nobody expects them to be right.

How about a nearby webcam to check periodically?

Posted by Elyse | July 16, 2012, 9:08 pm
  2. I find leaking up and looking out the window to be most effective. Sometimes I step onto the deck to check for wind. Other than that I have no idea where to go for accuracy.

Posted by Life With The Top Down | July 16, 2012, 9:49 pm
  3. Yeah just become a meterologist, hard to get fired because your right only 50 percent of the time. :)

Posted by rantingrebel | July 17, 2012, 4:12 pm
  4. You know sadly, they are right a lot more now than they were decades ago. I said something once to my dad about it and he said back in the 70′s and before that weather men were horribly wrong all the time. Now at least they get that needle in the hay stack once in a while. I know what you’re saying to be true though, I watch the local weather channel all the time and they’re almost never right. At least they get the “too much humidity” right all the time.

Posted by beefybooyawn | August 30, 2012, 12:12 am
  5. Perhaps this was the wrong post to begin with since I am actively avoiding doing anything that remotely resembles work!!

Posted by Polysyllabic Profundities | January 15, 2013, 12:42 pm
  6. You could add that parking in a sunny area with the windows closed creates enough heat inside your vehicle to damage it eventually. Glues and vinyl begin to deteriorate. Enough reason to want an accurate weather forecast that enables you to vent your car on hot sunny days.

Posted by pointy view | July 8, 2013, 1:51 pm