Editorials, News

Deputies shoot, kill innocent man

Deputies shoot, kill man after knocking on wrong door | Watch the video – Yahoo! News.

Hypothetical situation.  Someone starts pounding on your front door in the middle of the night.  They fail to identify themselves.  You have a gun in the house.  Do you take it with you to see who’s at the door?

I would.

Turns out this situation happened the other night.  Deputies knocked on the wrong door looking for Jonathan Scott, a murder suspect.  They did not announce that they were police, which as far as I know they are required to do.  Andrew Scott answered the door with a firearm in  his hand ready to defend himself if the need arose and the police opened fire on him, killing him.

As far as I’m concerned, this is gross misconduct on the part of every officer involved in this situation.  You can’t just pound on someone’s door in the middle of the night and not identify yourself.  Hell, you don’t do that at any time.

To top it all off, during the video a police spokesman says, “It’s a bizarre set of circumstances but the bottom line is if you point a gun a deputy sheriff or police officer you’re gonna get shot.”

A bizarre set of circumstances?  Riddle me this, douche.  How was he supposed to know it was police officers on the other side of the door if they never told him?  For all he knew there were criminals with malice aforethought on the other side of the door and he was taking the precautions he deemed necessary to defend himself and his home.

Furthermore, this “bizarre set of circumstances” was propagated by the deputies involved in the shooting by NOT identifying themselves as law enforcement.

The officers responsible for the shooting have been placed on administrative leave.  That’s far too kind a punishment for what they’ve done.  At the very least they should be charged with involuntary manslaughter as the entire situation devolved because of their negligence.

18 thoughts on “Deputies shoot, kill innocent man

1. Unbelievable on so many levels. Clearly this wasn’t a “good neighborhood” considering they were looking for a murderer. I’m not a big fan of guns, but I get why this guy was answering the door with one. I can’t help but think what would be going down if this ended with the officer killed…it wouldn’t be pretty for the home owner.

Posted by Life With The Top Down | July 17, 2012, 12:32 pm
  2. This is just insane, TwinDaddy. You’re right. He had every right (especially, say, if there was a murderer loose in his neighborhood) to defend himself.

And it makes me even more uncomfortable with the attitude being taken towards policemen and firefighters — to do what Scranton, PA did and pay them only minimum wage. Because that will guarantee that there will be fewer bright cops than we have today.

What is our country coming to?

Posted by Elyse | July 17, 2012, 1:02 pm
    • Minimum wage? I hadn’t heard that. I bet everyone in that town feels safe.

Posted by twindaddy | July 17, 2012, 5:06 pm
      • Yes. That’s what happens when folks adhere to Grover Norquist’s policy of no taxes.

I read after posting this comment that the town had somehow gotten a waiver on this — temporarily — due to public outrage. But still. I can just hear the thought process w hen deciding what job to take: “Hey, I can risk burning my fingers on burgers or getting shot…”

Posted by Elyse | July 17, 2012, 5:19 pm
  3. As a single woman living at home, and if someone knocked on my door in the middle of the night, especially with my hater’s death threats, of course I would have my gun in hand!!!

Posted by rantingrebel | July 17, 2012, 4:04 pm
  4. The officers screwed up and the poor man should have left the door closed and asked who the heck they were BEFORE opening the door. I ALWAYS ask people or look out the window/peep hole first.

Posted by southerndreamer | July 18, 2012, 1:31 pm