Daily Prompt, Life

Daily Prompt: Flawed

What is your worst quality?

This is a tough one.  Not because I can’t think of one, but because I can’t think of which one is actually the worst.  We’ll call it a tie, I guess.  There is no clear-cut winner here.

Hello, my name is Twindaddy. And I’m impatient.

I have absolutely no patience.  When I want something I want it now.  I cannot wait.  I don’t know how to wait.  For example, my regular readers (all two of you !) know that my wife and I are living separately now in an attempt to get our finances straightened out before we get our own place again.  This is absolutely killing me.  I can’t stand being apart from my wife on a daily basis and I can’t stand the wait while we try to get things back in order so we can resume our life together.  Luckily I have plenty of other things going on to distract me from thinking about this 24/7, but occasionally the impatience overwhelms me and I just sit there and fret.

I also have no patience for people, which unfortunately sometimes extends to my wife and kids.  Especially the twins.  They are at an age now where they have all kinds of questions that I don’t necessarily have the patience to answer.  And it’s really, really maddening to me when I sit back and reflect on it.  They are innocent questions and asking questions is how you learn.  I have no idea why I get so agitated when they ask me questions.  Sometimes, yes, the questions are stupid (hey, kids ask stupid questions sometimes), but a majority of the time they are innocent questions.  And it irks me for reasons beyond my comprehension.

Thankfully, I’ve realized in the last few months what I’ve been doing and I’ve been getting much better at it with the help of medication and being conscious of how I react to things.  Every once in a while I still get in a mood where the things they do just drive me mad, and they shouldn’t, but those times are few and far between now compared to just a few months ago.  Hopefully they’ll disappear entirely.  Soon.

I’m always right.  At least, in my own little world that I live in.  This, too, has always been a problem with me that has gradually lessened over time.  I used to think my way was the only way.  That if you liked something I didn’t then you were an idiot.  That if you listened to music I didn’t like you sucked.  And so did your music.  And if you had an answer that was different from mine you were most definitely wrong.  If you had a source to prove you were correct I questioned the integrity of your source, no matter how credible it was.  You were going to lose no matter what facts you threw at me.  I would deflect your facts with exuberant pride like a Jedi would deflect blaster bolts with a lightsaber.

I’ve largely outgrown that mentality.  Except during an argument.  In the heat of an argument, when the dark side anger consumes me, I always, ALWAYS, have to be right.  Even if I know I’m wrong.  Pride comes with anger and during those moments I’m not able to admit that I’m wrong or that I’ve made a mistake.  Luckily, when I calm down and I’m able to think and see things rationally I come to my senses and act like a normally human being who can admit that they made a mistake.  Most of the time.

So there you have it.  A two-way tie for my worst quality.  They are neck and neck at the finish line.  Even a photo-finish couldn’t determine the winner.  They are equally the worst.

What is your worst quality?

30 thoughts on “Daily Prompt: Flawed

1. Patience is something that comes over time and is achieved through trial and error. If you are a person who learns from mistakes then it will come sooner. By stepping back and taking a look at the situation and asking yourself if it will indeed make a difference in one year, five years or ten years, you can determine if it is worth being upset over. Some things have a way of working themselves out by nature if you nurture them and give them time.
    Tammye Honey

Posted by TammyeHoney | December 13, 2012, 9:42 am
  2. I’m going to go with impatience too. The things I would give to be a little more patient.

Posted by MissFourEyes | December 13, 2012, 12:10 pm
  3. How can we both be always right? We can’t be so by default you are often wrong! See, now you have only one fault.

You’re welcome.

And my worst fault? I always think I’m funny ;)

Posted by Elyse | December 13, 2012, 12:16 pm
  4. If it weren’t for the lack of mispelled words, I would swear my husband wrote this piece. His patience can wear very thin quickly, especially without medication. I however have a abundance of patience, which usually drives those without any crazy…are you getting the picture? It will get better Twin it really will and one day (hopefully soon) you’ll look back and appreciate how far you’ve come. You’ve already come a long distance.

Posted by Life With The Top Down | December 13, 2012, 12:36 pm
  5. Re: Anger – My husband, who’s from England, calls it the “red mist.”
    Re: Always having to be right – Are you my mother???

Posted by honeydidyouseethat? | December 13, 2012, 7:41 pm
  6. Nice that you can admit you have flaws. Most people are perfect ya know? My lack of a filter will get me every time. Things will POP out of my mouth as I’m thinking oh fuck did I just say that?…yeah I did.
    My old boss could never be wrong. That made it difficult to be her employee…so I honed my tact skill and shut the fuck up when I knew she was digging her hole..hey, you gotta start somewhere…then transferred to another area.

Posted by leah | December 13, 2012, 10:45 pm
  7. Twindaddy the comments and pictures could not realy say it any better. After many years of pain anger and loss, all while insisting on being right, I recently took the opportunity to give up (tentatively) being right. And then it became evident that many of the deepest struggles personally have resulted because of an attitude of refusing to give up being right. Hope some things can change because fighting to be right all the time is a hard way to live. Sometimes it goes as far as blaming other people who are happy because they obviously got their immorally.

Posted by Anonymous | January 10, 2013, 7:52 am