Daily Prompt

Daily Prompt: Gimme

Was there a special gift or toy you wanted as a child but never received? What was it?

I had a bit of trouble finding an answer to this question.  I was never left wanting much as a child, except to stop moving so often but that’s not something you can wrap and put under a tree.  There was however, one thing I asked for for years and never, ever received.

Every year a month or two before Christmas my brothers and I were handed a Sears Christmas catalog to go through and make a list of what we wanted.  Yes, this was pre-internet days.  I’m old.  Shut up.  Anyhow, every year I’d put the same thing on my list.  A Cincinnati Bengals uniform, complete with helmet.

I wanted this so, so badly. It was quite sad, really.

I never ever received it and to this day I have no idea why.  We normally received most of what we asked for for Christmas.  We were spoiled, really.  We had more toys than we knew what to do with.  We had every video game system.  We had plenty of clothes.  I really don’t have anything to complain about in that regard, but since you asked, DP, this is the one thing I never received.

Now I’m all grown up and have spent hundreds of dollars on jerseys only to see the players move on to new teams.  So maybe it’s a good thing that my parents never gave me that uniform.  Oh, well.

What about you, dear reader?  What did you want but never received?

15 thoughts on “Daily Prompt: Gimme

1. I never got my pony, but I know why. We didn’t have the room to keep one or the money to feed it. ;)

Thanks for visiting me, and for the shout out!

Posted by Lynda | December 26, 2012, 8:47 am
  2. I smiled when I saw that you were given a catalogue to choose gifts from. I give my youngest the toy catalogues and we page through it whilst I mentally take note of what she thinks is nice :) Sorry you never got the uniform though.

Posted by thehappyhugger | December 26, 2012, 9:25 am
  3. It’s okay. I haven’t thought about those uniforms in years.

Posted by twindaddy | December 26, 2012, 9:41 am
  4. My nan and I used to flick through catalogues to choose Christmas presents. We had the internet, but the “old fashioned” way was more of a novelty. I loved the smell of the pages. :)

Posted by Simone | December 26, 2012, 10:19 am
  5. A slot car racing set.
    No idea why I never got one.

But the first year I was with my girl, she got me one for my birthday.
    (Just another reason she’s the most wonderful girl in the universe!)
    (Leaving aside thte fact that she usually kicks my ass when we race.)

Posted by El Guapo | December 26, 2012, 10:33 am
  6. Bengals suck anyway (says the Lions fan). :P

Posted by goldfish | December 26, 2012, 1:25 pm
  7. I wanted a kitten. My mother was allergic and hated cats. It was horrible. My daughter wants a kitten. Now I’m allergic and I hate cats. I’m horrible. I can live with that.

Posted by aliceatwonderland | December 26, 2012, 10:01 pm