Daily Prompt

Daily Prompt: Immortalized in Stone

Your personal sculptor is carving a person, thing or event from the last year of your life. What’s the statue of and what makes it so significant?

2012 was a turbulent year for me, and has been since the beginning of August when my wife left me.  So when my personal sculptor arrives, his instructions will be to capture the anguish which crushed me when she walked out the door and shattered my heart into thousands of pieces the size of a granule of sand.

This statue will be significant to me because it was a defining moment in my life.  I realized who I was.  I realized that what my wife had been telling me was true.  I realized that I took her for granted.  I realized that I had been treating her like shit.

This realization, along with being alone and broken-hearted, sent me plummeting straight towards rock bottom.  And I hit it hard.  I was a disaster.  I couldn’t concentrate at work.  I was barely able to keep my composure when the kids were around.  When they weren’t around I was drowning my sorrows in alcohol.  I lost all desire to do anything.  I quit reading.  I quit writing.  I quit playing video games.  I quit doing everything that I enjoyed.  I couldn’t eat.  I lost over 30 pounds in about a month’s time.  I was a complete clusterfuck.

I was able to pull myself together and get myself to a doctor who prescribed me some medication, and I eventually evened out.  I started eating again.  I was able to function again.

This moment needs to be memorialized, because it’s also the moment I realized that I didn’t like who I was.  I didn’t like how I treated my wife or my children.  It was at that moment that I resolved to become a better person, a nicer person, so that I could keep those I love in my life and so that those people wouldn’t resent me.  Or even hate me.  I needed to become a person that I could be proud of.  That my mother could be proud of.  That my children would be proud of.

The statue will depict me fallen to my knees, but looking up with a hopeful look upon my face and eyes filled with resolve.

I will do better. I MUST do better.

30 thoughts on “Daily Prompt: Immortalized in Stone

1. Powerful image, Twin.
    Rock on.

Posted by El Guapo | December 27, 2012, 3:32 pm
  2. So far as I’ve found, the Divorce Diet is the single most effective weigh loss program out there. Massively bad for you, but effective.

Posted by Melanie | December 27, 2012, 3:36 pm
  3. This is huge twindaddy.
    Honest and raw and commendable.
    Glad to see you making your way back.
    I’m proud of you.
    Red

Posted by SocietyRed | December 27, 2012, 5:34 pm
  4. People sometimes forget that men can feel the pain and anguish of seperation, too. I commend your strength and determination.
    Oh, and thanks for the pingback.

Posted by sarahneeve | December 27, 2012, 6:11 pm
  5. This is a powerful post, TwinDaddy. I’m glad you are finding your way back, including to us here on the sphere.

Your sculpture reminded me very much of my very favorite sculpture: The Burghers of Calais. Here is a closeup of one of them (second picture) that came to mind with your writing: http://agathe-verschaffel.over-blog.com/categorie-10939713.html

And the story, like yours, is worth knowing: http://www.rodin-web.org/works/1884_burghers.htm

You’re gonna make it, my friend.

Posted by Elyse | December 27, 2012, 8:29 pm
    • That is a pretty cool story, Elyse.

I have made significant progress according to my wife, and that gives me hope. Our situation is still kind fubar right now, as we’re still living separately due to other circumstances that are beyond our control, but we’re dealing with them the best that we can.

We’re both very determined to make this work and we both know that once we get where we want to be it will all be worth it.

Thank you for your support, Elyse. You’ve always been very kind and supportive of me and I appreciate that very, very much.

Posted by twindaddy | December 28, 2012, 8:41 am
  6. Two stellar posts in one day friend. What a day this is on this blog. So glad I’m a reader. We get to see you as a man on his way back to health and happiness in one post, and the brilliant writer who is returning to the surface in the other. Well done on both, and I wish you all the best and hope that your life will continue to improve as you work on becoming the man you want to be.

Posted by thecheekydiva | December 27, 2012, 8:51 pm
  7. this is very sad. but it’s good that it has enlightened you. may you have a good year ahead.

Posted by Bubu | December 27, 2012, 10:59 pm
    • What’s really sad is that it took her leaving for me to realize these things. It’s really hard to hear that you’re not who you think you are and have to see the vitriol for yourself to truly wake up. I guess the good news is that I actually saw it and didn’t continue to ignore it.

Posted by twindaddy | December 28, 2012, 8:30 am
  8. So honest. This is amazing; best of luck to you on your journey. Last year I went into a pretty deep depression and have (almost) climbed completely out of it at this point. Sometimes it takes something drastic to make us realize how lucky we are.

Posted by Nicole Marie | December 28, 2012, 10:03 am
  9. Wow, great post and I’m sure very difficult to put online. I feel your pain. I went through a very similar thing when I divorced several years ago. It was hell, I too drowned myself with alcohol for a bit and then realized I needed to be stronger. Those are the times in life that mean the most and shape you the most. Being able to escape the abyss or sink farther. That’s what life is all about. I’m glad you are better.

Posted by DUH'Merica | December 28, 2012, 2:40 pm
    • Thanks. It’s becoming easier to talk about. At first I didn’t want to talk about it because I was ashamed to admit what I was. But I’ve gotten so much support from fellow bloggers that I don’t feel so bad about broaching the subject now.

Posted by twindaddy | December 28, 2012, 2:49 pm