Daily Prompt

Daily Prompt: Kick It

What’s the 11th item on your bucket list?

My bucket list, much like my New Year’s Resolutions, is nonexistent.  I’m too busy living paycheck to paycheck, raising my kids, working, and blogging to even think about starting a bucket list.  Therefore, the 11th item on my bucket list is the same as items 1 through 10.  Nothing.

Furthermore, I don’t see the point in having a bucket list.  Why bother making a list of lofty goals you’re unlikely to achieve before you die?  Furthermore, why would you perpetually maintain a list that eludes to your death?  Doesn’t this all seem a bit, morbid?

“Hey, Ralph!  What do you wanna do before you kick the bucket?” some idiot may say to his friend, whose name coincidentally is Ralph.

“Well, Joe,” Ralph may hypothetically respond, “I want to live life instead of thinking about all the things I’ll probably never get to do before I die.”

Owned.

Seriously, why are we making bucket lists?  And why have they become so insanely popular?  Why aren’t we living life instead of making a list about the life we want to live?  If you want to skydive, then do it.  If you want to dress in drag and walk the strip after dark, then do it.  Want to travel the world?  Tough shit, you have no money.  Go back to work.  Want to flash your in-laws?  Have fun.  And take pictures.

I turned to Google to obtain valuable insight into this nonsensical phenomenon (enom enom).  I clicked the first link on the list which has a detailed explanation as to what a bucket list is, why you should have one, and a list of 101 things you should do before you die.  Let’s examine this, shall we?

What’s a Bucket List?

If you haven’t heard about the bucket list, a bucket list is a list of all the goals you want to achieve,dreams you want to fulfill and life experiences you desire to experience before you die.

Simple enough.  But there you are thinking about your expiration date again.  Seriously, no one knows when they’re going to “kick the bucket,” so if you want to do something, don’t put it off.  Just do it.  Within reason, of course.

Why Create a Bucket List?

Why have a bucket list? If you don’t live your days by personal goals and plans, chances are you spend most of your time caught up in a flurry of day-to-day activities.

Silly, website.  Even if you do live your days by personal goals and plans you will still spend most of your time caught up in a flurry of day-to-day activities.  That’s called reality.  Please come back to it.

There’s a reason this is a proverb.

The article then goes on to list 101 different things you could or should do before you die, but I’m going to go in a different direction.  I could probably go down all 101 items and discredit each one, but let’s face it.  Neither you nor I have the time for this sort of douchebaggery, as fun as it would be.

Instead, I’m going to pilfer.  I’m going to steal.  That’s right, I’m going to shamelessly infringe upon the idea of a fellow blogger, yet give her full credit for the idea because, hey, it’s hers.

BreezyK, of The Camel Life fame, posted about bucket lists back in June and decided that we don’t need any more to do lists.  She decided, instead that what we need is a Fuck It list.  So, I’m ganking her idea and running with it.  I’m going to make my own Fuck It list.  So here, without further ado (not that there was any ado to begin with) is a list of things that Twindaddy will give zero fucks about:

1. Baby momma dramaSpider-man not giving a Fuck
  2. Work
  3. Justin Biebergive a fuck
  4. What celebrity wore it bestSpider-man not giving a Fuck 2
  5. That nagging itch that won’t go awayAaaand its gone
  6. Creating a bucket list
  7. Any speed limit
  8. Bitches bitching about other bitches being bitches
  9. That stack of collection letters sitting on my desk at home
  10. Scientology

I’ll stop there.  10 seems like a nice, round number.  Besides, I could go on all day about all the things I give zero fucks about.  And again, thank you BreezyK for the wonderful idea.  Also, dear readers, I would encourage you (since you’re not giving any fucks anyway) to visit BreezyK’s blog.  She is a gifted and humorous writer, and her blog always entertains.  Give her a visit would ya?  And tell her Twindaddy sent ya.

And you, dearest reader?  What do you resolve to give zero fucks about?

55 thoughts on “Daily Prompt: Kick It

1. I hate the bucket list concept myself –

So I’m curious – the related articles, I’ve just started seeing that – how does it work? Is it a widget or something or did you do that by hand? TELL ALL, Twindaddy…

And i just noticed that this blog has THREE authors – how doees one know who’s writing what – well, this one was obvious…

Posted by Rutabaga the Mercenary Researcher | January 3, 2013, 10:52 am
  2. And why can’t we be happy living the life we are currently living? Why do we have to jump out of plane if we think we’re going to die? Why can’t being more loving to people around me suffice? How come I have to be dying to do that? I’m so tired of being told at every turn that I need improving and I am not ‘doing enough’ with my life. If I want to spend my days reading – that’s freakin’ fabulous enough. Screw the list – live as you feel you should and do what you can when you can -

Posted by Rutabaga the Mercenary Researcher | January 3, 2013, 10:54 am
  3. The first half of this article felt as if you peeled back the curtain of my mind, peeked in and wrote what you saw. I’ve never seen the purpose. If there’s is something I aspire to do, I do it. Then go look for something else. **shrug**

Posted by Angelyn | January 3, 2013, 11:01 am
  4. Amazing list and great memes! I will now be stealing these from you.

Posted by breezyk | January 3, 2013, 11:08 am
  5. I like how they always add in “before you die.” Like, what, is there going to be a bucket list for after you die? If you believe in an afterlife: I will strum harps and crap. If you don’t: I will decompose.

Posted by aliceatwonderland | January 3, 2013, 11:12 am
  6. The term “bucket list” has always annoyed me. People who do things for the sake of checking them off a list annoy me. Nice read.

Posted by ohiasia | January 3, 2013, 11:20 am
  7. I think you hit the nail on the head. LOL I know, I’m old!

Posted by dmauldin53 | January 3, 2013, 11:48 am
  8. It’s true. Bucket lists have become the crocs of the internet.

Posted by becca3416 | January 3, 2013, 12:15 pm
  9. I think that you will enjoy my pun on bucket lists as I agree with you that God Plans our life not Man and it is great to look to the future and plan however being realistic is different than hoping that we end up in the Costa Rica Islands when your husband refuses to get on a plane… http://layedbacklife.wordpress.com/wp-admin/post.php?post=416 Love your outlook on life.

Posted by TammyeHoney | January 3, 2013, 12:55 pm
  10. Reblogged this on cftc10.

Posted by cftc10 | January 3, 2013, 2:36 pm
  11. I actually get a little nervous when people start taking about Bucket Lists. I feel you’re pushing fate. I am deeply in love with the Fuck It list, especially giving zero fucks at work…ahhh. It’s probably one of the best feelings EVAH!

Posted by Life With The Top Down | January 3, 2013, 6:38 pm
  12. The author recommends that everyone should start a list or maintain the list one already has. Step by step instructions included. My recommendation to the author is unsuitable to print. Love the memes!

Posted by 1jaded1 | January 3, 2013, 9:27 pm
  13. I completely agree with your bucket list opinion.

Posted by thehappyhugger | January 4, 2013, 1:28 am
  14. Haha! I like your Fuck It list :)
    The first thing on my bucket list is to make a bucket list. But of course I will never get around to that, just like any of the things I’ll ever put on it

Posted by MissFourEyes | January 4, 2013, 9:56 am