Daily Prompt

Daily Prompt: 1984

You’re locked in a room with your greatest fear. Describe what’s in the room.

Darkness.  I was surrounded by absolute darkness.  I knew not where I was nor could I recollect how I had gotten there.

“Hello?” I called.  My voice echoed, but for only a second.  From that I deduced that I was trapped in a tightly enclosed space.

I stretched my hands out in front of me in an effort to feel my way around.  The ground seemed solid enough, but I timidly put each foot forward slowly to ensure that I wouldn’t step into some unseen abyss.

Light suddenly flooded into my corneas.  I reflexively brought my arms up to shield my eyes from the blinding light.  My retinas slowly expanded while adjusting to this newfound light.  Eventually, when I could open my eyes without light-induced pain, I lowered my arms.

There before me stood my greatest fear.  An evil so horrid that it could induce wide-spread panic among an entire population, yet so necessary that life cannot be lived without it.  It loomed before me like a like a wraith on a chilling night.  The light which emanated from somewhere beyond it cast a leviathan shadow that completely enveloped me. I began to tremble.  I cowered and prepared myself for the coming onslaught of tears that I would soon be crying.  I knew what was coming.  And I hated it.  There was nothing I could do to stop it.  I, as always, would have to silently grin and bear it as it had its way with me.

The nozzle detached itself from the pump and placed itself neatly inside the gas tank of my car and began pumping high-octane gasoline into my car.  My tears flowed like the very gasoline filling my tank.  My tears flowed like the dollars being withdrawn from my bank account.  I could almost see the dollars bills leaping from my wallet like a flock of children lined up on a diving board at a public swimming pool.  And then, as quickly as it had begun, it was over.

It always felt surreal in the aftermath.  My tank was now full, but my bank account was empty.  As were my tear ducts.  I felt dehydrated.  What a vicious cycle.  I go to work just to earn enough money to put gas back in my car.

It was then that I awoke, but the memory of the perpetrated evil that had just occurred in my subconscious remained.  I was still a bit shaky from the ordeal.  And that’s when it struck me.

I have to get gas today.

Fuck.

26 thoughts on “Daily Prompt: 1984

1. The horror! This was really good, by the way. You’re a great writer.

Posted by La La | January 9, 2013, 10:25 am
  2. I went from driving to work every day to taking the train.
    It was like getting a second income!

Posted by El Guapo | January 9, 2013, 10:48 am
  3. Hahaha! I drove to work on a fume today. I’m hoping it lasts unil Friday when I get paid. Fucking Gas!

Posted by Life With The Top Down | January 9, 2013, 12:04 pm
  4. Haha I loved your intro that led to the gas extortion.

Posted by vyvacious | January 9, 2013, 12:44 pm
  5. Well done!

Posted by Elyse | January 9, 2013, 1:49 pm
  6. I was beginning to think… ‘he can’t be scared of the dark.’ Then it slotted nicely into place. Brilliant — not the petrol prices, which are just as bad over here — but the writing. :)

Posted by sarahneeve | January 9, 2013, 4:03 pm
  7. Haha! Twindaddy, you are a great writer

Posted by MissFourEyes | January 9, 2013, 8:20 pm
  8. So funny so true. Paid 3.48 for the “cheapy” stuff. The pump nozzle should be positioned a few inched lower in that comic to better represent the bufu we all take!

Posted by 1jaded1 | January 9, 2013, 9:19 pm