Random Thought Of The Day

Random Thought of the Day: What is the bee’s knees?

So I was Facebook stalking perusing my Facebook feed yesterday when I came across the following post…

The Bee's Knees

Not many people use this expression any more, but when they do it’s in regards to something they think is great.  The greatest thing since sliced bread.  Or some other such nonsense.

I just don’t understand why this expression has come to mean what it means.  What exactly are the bee’s knees and why is this a good thing?  I wasn’t aware that bees even had knees.  If they don’t, is anything that is the bee’s knees nonexistent?  If so, why would you say anything is the bee’s knees?  I’ve thought about this entirely too much.

So I’m turning to the ever omniscient Google.  Google has all the answers.  Whether they’re right or wrong is debatable, but it has all the answers.

My first search result led me here.  This page explained the origin of the saying, but ultimately couldn’t explain its current meaning.  The second result led me to a diner in the Boston area.  I just can’t imagine eating at The Bee’s Knees.  The third one led me to a restaurant in Augusta, GA.  What’s with naming all these restaurants The Bee’s Knees?  My next result let me to Urban Dictionary.  One of my favorite sites.  Surely some answers can be found there, right?  Right?  Wrong.  Dammit.

Urban Dictionary has two definitions for The Bee’s Knees.

1. adj. used to describe something in a positive way, c. 1950’s.
    Duh…
  2. When You get so high that you feel youre[sic]knees vibrating like bees, and your legs tremble on their own.
    This is quite possibly the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard.

Okay, I’m done with this.  I had this random thought and wondered what the hell this expression meant and all I got was a big, fat ‘I don’t know’, two restaurants, and one of the dumbest definitions in the history of dumb definitions.  Fuck you, Google.  You suck.

And fuck you, too, bee’s knees.  You make no damn sense and I find it inconceivable that there was ever a time that bees knees were so fucking fantastic that we had to invent this idiotic expression.

What a pointless post this turned out to be.

Outtakes (explanatory post coming later):

• Typed reslut instead of result.
  • Had to check if it was omniscient or omnipotent that meant “all-knowing.”
  • Typed reslut instead of result.  Again.
  • Made fun of La La (la la la la la la la la) on Twitter
  • Got entirely too distracted with Edward Hotspur and GingerSnaap on Twitter.
  • Tweeted like Yoda.

63 thoughts on “Random Thought of the Day: What is the bee’s knees?

1. LOL as soon as I saw on Facebook that you posted this, I knew it was about my post. I have no idea where it came from but I do know one thing… this blog post is totally the bees knees.

Posted by beefybooyawn | January 11, 2013, 12:14 am
  2. Every time I see a bee, I freak out and never bother to ask. Things that make throat close, avoid I do.

Posted by 1jaded1 | January 11, 2013, 12:18 am
  3. Huh, how would’ve thought. I figured people thought bee’s knees were cute? And hairy? The new wordpress blogs have “this site is the bees knees” as the default tag line.
    Sometimes I accidentally type orgasms when I really mean organisms.

Posted by MissFourEyes | January 11, 2013, 12:37 am
  4. The Bee’s Knees is kinda like a Cincinnati bowtie.

Posted by Adam S | January 11, 2013, 12:48 am
  5. Cracking post. The dogs bollocks mate….

Posted by Simon | January 11, 2013, 3:16 am
  6. Remove the helmet and get some adequate oxygen to your brain – I think you might notice an improvement.

I think people just like rhyming stupid things in the 50s – there wasn’t much else happening in the way of entertainment…

Posted by Rutabaga the Mercenary Researcher | January 11, 2013, 8:59 am
  7. Do I have to say it? This post was the Bee’s Knees!

Posted by The Hook | January 11, 2013, 10:35 am
  8. Perhaps the bees in question were having a private orgasm when someone stumbled upon them….lol…

Posted by TammyeHoney | January 11, 2013, 11:02 am
  9. Lmao. This post is the bee’s knees.

Posted by Nicole Marie | January 11, 2013, 11:33 am
  10. DAMNIT, I DIDN’T SE THAT I WAS BEATEN TO IT EITHER. HULK SMASH

Posted by Nicole Marie | January 11, 2013, 11:34 am
  11. SEE*!!!! I’m blinded by fury.

Posted by Nicole Marie | January 11, 2013, 11:34 am
  12. See, I keep being about to just get it over with and get on Twitter, and then I see the swamp of tags and ampersands and so on and it suddenly feels like learning Esperanto.

Posted by The Byronic Man | January 11, 2013, 12:28 pm
  13. Warped, but funny…..just like you.

Posted by Polysyllabic Profundities | January 12, 2013, 2:18 pm
  14. What the hell were we talking about on The Twitter? I don’t remember..

Posted by GingerSnaap | January 13, 2013, 4:02 pm

1. Pingback: “You’re an ass!” – Terms of Endearment | wordsandotherthings - January 11, 2013

2. Pingback: ENGLISH SOCKS! « happyzinny - January 13, 2013