Daily Prompt

Daily Prompt: Sweet Sixteen

When you were 16, what did you think your life would look like? Does it look like that? Is that a good thing?

When I was 16 I had no idea what my life would eventually look like.  I didn’t have time to ponder it and, quite honestly, didn’t care.  I was as concerned about the future as the 1% is about the poor.

My mother, my stepfather, and I were living in a decrepit, roach-infested two-bedroom mobile home in a ramshackle trailer park in Sugar Hill, Georgia.  I hated my school and hated my life.  I had just been torn (again) from friends, and my brothers, and was living with a stepfather I couldn’t stand, in a domicile that should have been condemned.

Something like this, but surrounded by many more that looked much the same.

My mother worked.  My stepfather didn’t.  He paid the rent by shoplifting high-ticket items from one Wal-Mart and returning them to another for the cash.  If you ever wonder why you’re only ever able to get a gift card when returning something without a receipt, that would be why.  I often went with him on these trips.  I encouraged him with the hope that he would be apprehended and I would no longer have to deal with him.  Sadly, that never came to pass.

We were horribly destitute.  My mom’s check went to the car payment and utility bills.  We seldom had food in the house.  Were it not for my best friend’s parents feeding me, I probably would have starved.  We were only able to do laundry once every two weeks so I often had to wear my clothes twice before washing them.

So, I as  you can see, dearest reader, when I was 16, I certainly didn’t think about the future.  I had no reason to think about the future.  All I could think about was skipping school, if I would have food for dinner, or thinking of new ways to convince my father to let me move back to his house.  Life was that incredibly depressing.  It’s hard to ponder the future when your present sucks.

Outtakes

• Ate a small bag of barbecue chips and got barbecue all over my keyboard.  Greasy keys!!
  • Had a poll amongst my coworkers to see who would handle cigarette smoking duties since my boss called in sick.
  • Argued with a coworker about who didn’t give a bigger fuck.  I won.  The fuck I don’t give is leviathan.  So there.

54 thoughts on “Daily Prompt: Sweet Sixteen

1. I cannot bring myself to click like for that childhood. I’m glad things vastly improved and you are happy now.

Posted by Polysyllabic Profundities | January 21, 2013, 11:27 am
  2. I’d have to borrow Polysyllabic Profundities words, as I can’t up with anything smart to say.

Posted by Doggy's Style | January 21, 2013, 11:44 am
  3. I’m crying for you at 16. Noone should have to go through that. You are proof that people can still turn out decent no matter what.

At 16 I was hoping to apprehend people like your POS stepdad when I became a cop.

Posted by 1jaded1 | January 21, 2013, 11:47 am
    • I was hoping you would, too. But I guess that’s how things turn out when your mother’s a drug addict and a hooker who’s in and out of jail. I kinda feel sorry for him, but I don’t really. He used my mother and turned out to be gay, so there’s no way that he ever loved her. At least, not romantically. He ran away as soon as his secret was out so I never had a chance to confront him about the way he did my mom.

Asshole.

Posted by twindaddy | January 21, 2013, 11:50 am
  4. Thank you.

Posted by twindaddy | January 21, 2013, 12:06 pm
  5. I don’t know what to say, Twindaddy. Like Doggy and Polysyllabic Profundities, I’m glad you are happy now. Lots of hugs.

Posted by MissFourEyes | January 21, 2013, 12:18 pm
  6. Do you know what the best part of this story is? You’re strong enough to share it , which means you survived. No doubt you “grew-up” long before your time.

Posted by Life With The Top Down | January 21, 2013, 12:21 pm
  7. Wow. That is indeed a terrible childhood. But you are right – things could always be worse. Glad things are better for you now!

Posted by CodeForConfession [Kristen] | January 21, 2013, 1:18 pm
  8. My dreams and desires did not mention my past as I never mention that in any of my posts…that was then… I live in the now and my future…I can relate to your past and thank you for being candid and having the balls for sharing. Even though my hubby says that I have a set that are hidden somewhere that are made of steel I do not have strong enough ones to tread back to those days and publish them publicly…. lol…

Posted by TammyeHoney | January 21, 2013, 4:40 pm
  9. Wow. What a rough time you had, TwinDaddy. You’re going to have to tell us all how you got out of that life and became the stormtrooper we all know and love. Because writing is therapy, you know.

Posted by Elyse | January 22, 2013, 9:34 pm