Daily Prompt

Daily Prompt: Through the Window…What Window?

Go to the nearest window. Look out for a full minute. Write about what you saw.

To whom it may concern,

I’m writing to voice my complaint about today’s Daily Prompt, uh, prompt.  I find it rather presumptuous to assume that everybody who participates in the postaday challenge has a window through which they can look.  I work in a server room.  I am encaged in a windowless area, breathing manufactured air, lit by flourescent bulbs.  Nothing is real in here except for boredom.

A stunning replica of what I’m looking at currently.

On the improbable chance that a window may have sprouted somewhere within these confines I glanced around the room.  Much to my chagrin, there still was no window.  Even were there windows in this room, they would merely look into other rooms.

Another room? How exciting! Yay!!!

You want to know what I saw instead of some picturesque view through my phantom window?  Filthy Walls.  Servers.  Laptops.  Desktops.  Dirty floors. Disgruntled coworkers.  Dust-covered shelves.  Boxes filled with peripheral equipment.  People who desperately need to shave, including myself.  How dreadful.  I hate shaving.

But wait, I can glance ever so slightly to the right and see something that makes my heart melt.  Pictures.  Pictures of my children.  Pictures of Baby A, Baby B, and Baby C together.  Pictures taken by a professional photographer of all of my children.  A sketched picture of all of my children from when the twin’s grandmother took them all to Chuck E. Cheese’s right before Christmas.  Baby C’s newborn picture.

Windows?  I don’t need no stinkin’ windows.

Besides, Windows™ sucks.

What about you, dearest reader?  Are you fortunate enough to have a window through which you can peer?  What do you see?  Rub it in, why don’t you?

97 thoughts on “Daily Prompt: Through the Window…What Window?

1. Where is my picture? I thought for sure my picture would be up there too!!

Posted by Polysyllabic Profundities | January 29, 2013, 11:41 am
  2. A man is peeing outside mine. You aren’t missing anything

Posted by MissFourEyes | January 29, 2013, 11:44 am
  3. Through the mist and water drops on the inside of my window, I see the side of an ginormous fifth-wheel travel trailer. Their door is front and center (it’s a bit yellowed, as are their vent covers, one of which is cracked) with the word HitchHiker emblazoned on. The rain is coming down steadily, making a quagmire of the ground between us. Their blinds are closed and no lights show inside. Park etiquette demands that I not try to peer through their windows…

Posted by Sofia Leo | January 29, 2013, 11:46 am
  4. this was an excellent prompt!!!!!! you said it all exactly as it is. thanks for the ping back

Posted by terry1954 | January 29, 2013, 12:24 pm
  5. I like the new banner by the way. It may have been up for a bit but I have just seen it and it looks cool. On the subject of windows I do have the fortune of working in a cube placed near some window on the second floor of my employer’s building. I look out it when I hear rain or some random event. When Obama came to Wisconsin last time I was able to see his motorcade drive by. Other than these sparse events I do not bother with the window. I have my kids pictures and geek figures to adore while I work the day away.
    Now, about this server room you work in. Good lord man! Do all server rooms look like that? I have been in two of them in my life and the most recent one was with my current employer. That one is super clean, like eat off the floor clean. It also has the freshest air in the building. I got a tour from a friend and he pointed out that they have all cables piped in tubes and everything is mapped out with detail. To be honest it is the most well organized facility in the company and we have six buildings.

Posted by Animockery | January 29, 2013, 12:25 pm
  6. If it makes you feel better, it was raining so hard this morning all I really saw was rain so I had to use my imagination as I claimed my back yard and it’s contents…water beating on a window would have been a boring post… Thank You for sharing your views.

Posted by TammyeHoney | January 29, 2013, 12:59 pm
  7. Microsoft Windows are magic. They show me whatever I want to see and fades quietly to black when I want to see nothing. I want to replace every window in my house with one of these magic windows. Imagine, I could live anywhere.

Posted by sha'tashari | January 29, 2013, 1:20 pm
  8. The stupid window I looked thru once at school was into the Computer Lab full of pimply faced youth, fat balding men that used to have good jobs but are now so fat,,they are learning a “new” job where they can sit on their fat asses all day. There is also the returning to the workforce mothers,,who think that there is a “receptionist” job for them at the end of their business admin courses, (no one’s told them yet that these have almost all been replaced by computers out there, now).
    Oh and we can’t forget the Law Enforcement students who are studying so hard to be glorified Mall Cops.
    P.S. Most of them all are also coughing, sneezing and spreading germs like no tomorrow.

Posted by Just Another Canadian Gurl | January 29, 2013, 1:47 pm
  9. Could we draw a comparison between the frames around the pictures you’ve got adorning your desk/working area and the frames the would hold the windows we are supposed to be looking out? Both frames hold the passage way, the portal, in place for us to peer through (into)…

Posted by djmatticus | January 29, 2013, 2:01 pm
  10. I have both kinds, but don’t go thinking I am lucky now. One looks into another room that is filled with 50 year old, stale cigarette smelling, 4th grade drop outs desperate for jobs. The other looks to the outside, where I can see a disturbingly boring bush and a Ford billboard. I don’t look out either very much.

Posted by becca3416 | January 29, 2013, 4:43 pm
  11. I have no window at work either. I hate it. I have a wall, and a wall, and a wall, and a wall with a door. Sometimes people come through that door, but it’s always with some vague request for words that they can’t figure out for themselves. I shouldn’t complain. All this focus on math and science in schools is job security. It’s a rare worker bee that can put two words together.

Posted by Melanie | January 29, 2013, 8:22 pm
  12. Cubicles, weird people (oh wait that was me), some more cubicles, ceiling tiles that were falling apart from the water that exploded into our conference room, and yes, that is it. No window :( I’m windowless! THE HORRORS, THE HORRORS!!

Posted by Not Quite Alice | January 29, 2013, 8:26 pm
  13. 3 months ago I would have gloated and said I have a most magnificent view of a beautiful city as I looked out the window…common window, no corner office. Now in bfe, if I get to a window, I see corn!

Posted by 1jaded1 | January 29, 2013, 9:23 pm
  14. I’m still not past the fact that you are some sort of IT person. You are way too creative to be trapped in a windowless room with wires. I love that you have the pictures of your kiddies to keep you sane amongst the machinery. No doubt those faces make brighten up that room more than those fluorescent bulbs.

Posted by Life With The Top Down | January 30, 2013, 6:27 am
  15. My new office does not have a window. And unfortunately, it’s no easy task for me to even look out a window. It takes definite effort. It’s kind of sad.

Posted by The Cutter | January 30, 2013, 10:10 am
  16. I’ve been home sick today. So I was in my family room surrounded by windows. I looked out at my two crepe myrtle trees that the birds love so much, and the bird feeders which attracts cardinals, woodpeckers, wrens, finches and occasionally a hawk looking for a quick lunch.

You asked for it TwinDaddy. But I didn’t enjoy it.

Posted by Elyse | January 30, 2013, 7:33 pm
  17. Haha so good. I shall enjoy my window at work for as long as I can before we move locations in a few months and get relocated to the dungeons of the building.

Posted by vyvacious | February 6, 2013, 5:04 am

1. Pingback: Daily Prompt: Through the Window.. .where is the Southern Cross? | Fasting, Food and other musings by determined34 - January 29, 2013

My Cause