Daily Prompt

What I should be doing instead

Another day, another Daily Prompt.  I’m guessing that’s why it’s called Daily Prompt, but I guess I’ll never know for certain.  Today’s prompt is about self-reflection, and analyzing things you’re doing wrong, or at least the things you’re not doing right.  Like I’ve got all day to do that…

Tell us about something you know you should do . . . but don’t.

There are a multitude of things I should do yet don’t.  Sometimes it’s because I’m lazy.  Sometimes it’s because I lack the time.  Other times it’s because blogging.  Often times it’s because I just don’t care.

Attempting_to_give_a_damn____by_fallschirm_jaeger

This was such a hit yesterday I decided to bring it back again. You’re welcome.

Probably the item highest on the list of things I should be doing is exercise.  I don’t really have much of an option to do so at home as I have a two-year old to care for, but I have time at work.  Unfortunately I can’t pull myself away from my blog long enough to do it.  It’s not even the writing so much now as it is the reading.  I follow so many great blogs and I try to ensure that I read every post but it’s becoming a difficult task to achieve.  Every day I find another blogger whom I want to follow and that only adds to the task.  At last count I was following 106 blogs, so if I haven’t gotten to you that’s why.

It’s about respect, though.  Most of those bloggers follow me and I feel like I should repay the favor in kind if they’ve taken the time to read and comment on my blog.  It’s not that I don’t enjoy it, because I do otherwise I wouldn’t follow you, but I just feel that if you’ve taken the time to pour your heart and soul (or hilarity) into a post it deserves to be read.

Also, I’ve become addicted to WordPress.  The interaction I have with other bloggers is so entertaining I get lost in fun exchanges.

There are other things I should be doing, as well.  I need to eat healthier, especially since I’m sitting on my ass most of the day.  I need to start reading that novel that’s been sitting on my nightstand since November.  I need to shave more than once a week, but I hate shaving.

Ugh, okay.  I’m done searching for my deficiencies now.  This is lame.  I’m all about the positivity now.  I’m a glass-half-full kinda guy!  Thanks, Prozac!

Check out these other great Daily Prompt posts!

1. Shoulda Woulda Coulda – But I didn’t, so I can’t, so I won’t « Q the Adult
  2. Daily Prompt: Shoulda Woulda Coulda | Phenomenal Lass
  3. 22 Questions and Hot New Finds « In Harmony
  4. Daily Prompt: Shoulda Woulda Coulda « My thoughts, My life
  5. The long list…. « Spunky Wayfarer
  6. I Should | Mind of a Mouse
  7. Daily Prompt: Shoulda Woulda Coulda | بيسان
  8. Shoulda Woulda Coulda | Never Stationary

53 thoughts on “What I should be doing instead

1. ” I follow so many great blogs and I try to ensure that I read every post but it’s becoming a difficult task to achieve. Every day I find another blogger whom I want to follow and that only adds to the task.”

Wow! I know exactly what you mean. So much to read, so little time. I think I read more words here than I do in books these days. I share your addiction, and now I am adding your blog to my list… when will it end!?! :)

Posted by jaschmehl | February 13, 2013, 9:39 am
  2. Lent starts today. I’ve given up all unhealthy foods. I should.give up the war between me and insanity but that would leave me bored and well, insane. 106 blogs, wow.

Posted by 1jaded1 | February 13, 2013, 9:41 am
  3. Ah time, the least abundant resource. When we try to do everything it can make it hard to do anything. I admore your drive to read the posts of everyone you follow. I am lucky to do that every other day and there is a bit of guilt I guess. but i relaize the limits of my time.

Posted by Joe Owens | February 13, 2013, 10:01 am
  4. as far as exercise and eating, if you get up the next day, you’re doing alright.
    If you don’t, it’s really not your problem anymore…

Posted by El Guapo | February 13, 2013, 10:03 am
  5. It really is hard to keep up with all the reading. I get email notifications for most of the new posts and it’s a little overwhelming at times. Yours is always the top of my list though, Daddy!!

Posted by Polysyllabic Profundities | February 13, 2013, 10:04 am
  6. It is a problem Exercise and blogging are a tough combo. I put a board across my treadmill and read blogs while I walk. My comments have more typos than before.

Posted by Elyse | February 13, 2013, 10:04 am
  7. You can get an exercise bike – those fold up. I have one now. Haven’t figured out how to balance the keyboard on it yet but they actually have some with desks. Weird. Anyway, I think it’d be great to see a stormtrooper on an elliptical. What should I do but don’t? Everything.

Posted by aliceatwonderland | February 13, 2013, 10:32 am
  8. I guess I am lucky in that there are not that great a number of blogs I follow yet, I am not sure what a comfortable number would be. But as for doing other stuff, there is so much I should be doing but right now, in fact for the last few days, I really cannot be arsed.

Posted by Steve | February 13, 2013, 10:48 am
  9. Some days I have to blog while exercising. It’s looks ridiculous. I’m on a stationary bike pushed close to a table, but the table is too low for my laptop so I use a dozen books to prop it up. Plus side, the stack of books make me look well read. Down side, those books never get read. I wish I could read at super human speed!

Posted by MissFourEyes | February 13, 2013, 11:12 am
  10. I have no idea how many blogs I follow because I don’t know how to find out, but I do know it’s way over 50. I do try my hardest to keep up with them all as I check the reader first thing in the morning and in the evening. That way I can at least give them a read.
    Oh, not sure if you looked or not, but I nominated you for an award, accept, don’t accept it, that’s up to you. ;) http://sarahneeve.wordpress.com/2013/02/13/award-ketchup/

Posted by sarahneeve | February 13, 2013, 11:39 am
  11. Reading blogs taking up more time than writing blogs? Check.
    Playing on WordPress when I should be doing other things? Check.
    Excited to log on every day and see what everyone has written? Check.
    Completely, hopeless, addicted? Check.

Posted by djmatticus | February 13, 2013, 3:02 pm
  12. Hmmmm I understand how addictive it is to read others’ blogs. When I go for a run, I write in my head… Does that help? :)

Posted by honeydidyouseethat? | February 13, 2013, 11:43 pm
  13. Maybe I shouldn’t love this post… But I do!

Posted by The Hook | February 15, 2013, 2:49 pm
  14. I agree with following blogs and trying to read them. I was away from the internet for the whole of Wednesday and when I came back to my email inbox on Thursday lunchtime, I had 71 unread emails, most of which were WP notifications of new posts and comments. I’m glad I’m on gmail because otherwise I suspect with all the comments, it might have been more like 300 unread emails. That’s one problem of following popular blogs and clicking the “notify me of follow-up comments” button.

But exercise is over-rated anyway. Maybe play with your kids instead, take them outside and run around with them, and you’ll get both exercise and love.

Posted by faithhopechocolate | February 15, 2013, 3:06 pm

1. Pingback: Shoulda Woulda Coulda | Yeahthtsme - February 13, 2013

2. Pingback: Daily Prompt: Shoulda Woulda Coulda…The Daily Post | Enchanted Seashells…Confessions of a Tugboat Captain's Wife - February 13, 2013

3. Pingback: Daily Prompt: Shoulda Woulda Coulda … Yes but, No but … | Fasting, Food and other musings by determined34 - February 13, 2013

4. Pingback: Daily Prompt – Shoulda Woulda Coulda But……There’s Always A Reason Stopping Ya! | toofulltowrite (I've started so I'll finish) - February 13, 2013