Daily Prompt, Poetry

Ode to My Children

I was afraid today’s prompt would include Valentine’s Day in some way.  I can’t stand this fake holiday.  Let’s celebrate love?  If you aren’t celebrating love every day then you’re failing at life.  But retailers make money on this holiday so I’m afraid it’s not going anywhere.  Oh well…

It’s Valentine’s Day, so write an ode to someone or something you love. Bonus points for poetry!

So I shall bang out an ode to my children because, you know, I love them and stuph.

Ode to My Children

Love at first sight?
I didn’t believe
Such a thing existed
I could not perceive
My heart would fill
With such strong emotion
Upon meeting someone
What an inane notion
But then you were born
And my heart grew bigger
I was unaware my heart
Could love with such vigor
I looked upon you
And knew right away
That I was in love
In my heart you would stay
With each new day
My love for you grows
Where it will end
Nobody knows
My doubting heart
Could never perceive
A love this strong
Now its out on my sleeve
I will always be there

6. Cupid’s Arrow: Daily Prompt for Valentine’s Day | steph’s scribe
  7. Daily Prompt-Cupid’s Arrow « The Cheeky Diva
  8. Love for Women Everywhere | a day with depression
  9. Daily Prompt: Cupid’s Arrow | I really just pretend to know stuff
  10. It Was Just A Matter of Time | littlemisswordy
  11. My very first poem « Front Porches and Candlelight
  12. An ode to two of the most precious people in my life | Random Encounters of an Inquisitive Mind
  13. Daily Prompt: Cupid’s Arrow « DiaryCube
  14. Love’s Melody – Love, Sex & Poetry (Daily Prompt Post – Cupid’s Arrow) « Linda Long Writes!

40 thoughts on “Ode to My Children

1. You have this one in Feb and Sweetest Day in Oct. Your children are so fortunate to have you as their dad.

Posted by 1jaded1 | February 14, 2013, 9:28 am
  2. Love your poem. Love is love – it need not come from Hallmark. Every holiday is fake in the sense that it has a monetary angle. But it’s lovely to acknowledge love; my son’s school has pajama day and love of reading ~ I like that. We should always love everyday – but it’s ok to have a special day for it. We don’t have to succumb to the commercial side of it. It just is.

Posted by Rutabaga the Mercenary Researcher | February 14, 2013, 9:36 am
  3. An ode to your children is an excellent celebration of love, on any day.

Posted by El Guapo | February 14, 2013, 9:41 am
  4. Just beautiful! I came across this photo the other day and thought of you. It’s perfect for this post. :-) http://costumecontumely.com/?p=1454

Posted by littlemisswordy | February 14, 2013, 9:45 am
  5. That is so SWEET. For me, a guy that loves his kids is really sexy. That’s why I selected my husband – partly. He was like this pied piper with kids. And I was right. He is a great dad. But even he wouldn’t mention dad in a username. A car, maybe.

Posted by aliceatwonderland | February 14, 2013, 9:48 am
  6. That was so beautiful!! I got a little weepy.

Posted by Polysyllabic Profundities | February 14, 2013, 10:08 am
  7. I love your poem. It’s the sweetest
    Happy Valentine’s Day!

Posted by MissFourEyes | February 14, 2013, 10:20 am
  8. And the bonus is that they don’t expect roses! Well done, TD. I hate this holiday too.

Posted by Elyse | February 14, 2013, 10:21 am
  9. “If you aren’t celebrating love every day then you’re failing at life.” Truer words were never spoken. I love your poem like whoa. Incidentally, this is the first Valentines Day in what feels like ten years that I feel like I’m really celebrating something. No offense to my husband, but he knows I kinda like him so we don’t usually do anything for V-Day. However, having a child around for V-Day this year has really opened my heart and made me remember how special love is.

Posted by The Waiting | February 14, 2013, 11:38 am
  10. Brilliant. I think you captured the essence of unconditional love for your kids completely.

Posted by djmatticus | February 14, 2013, 1:24 pm
  11. I don’t have kids, and usually sniff at overt expressions of affection (well, I am English), but that was pretty super lovely :)

Posted by beckysaysthings | February 14, 2013, 3:58 pm
  12. Very nice!

Posted by Life With The Top Down | February 14, 2013, 4:32 pm
  13. Ah, that was… beautiful. Such lucky children, and such a lucky dad. :)

Posted by sarahneeve | February 15, 2013, 2:26 am
  14. Great job, Daddio!

Posted by The Hook | February 15, 2013, 2:22 pm
  15. That’s a very good ode to your kids. Thank you for sharing!

Posted by faithhopechocolate | February 17, 2013, 11:01 am

1. Pingback: Daily Post-Cupid’s Arrow “IN YOUR ABSENCE” | soumyav - February 14, 2013

2. Pingback: Daily Prompt – Cupid’s Arrow – Poem / Poetry – “Feasting on Feral Feelings” | toofulltowrite (I've started so I'll finish) - February 14, 2013

3. Pingback: UNENDING LOVE « hastywords - February 14, 2013

4. Pingback: Daily Prompt: Cupid’s Arrow … in the Southern Sky it flew yesterday!s | Fasting, Food and other musings by determined34 - February 14, 2013

My Cause