Random Thoughts

RTotD: Can you see it?

I’m going to go way, way out on a limb and assume that anyone that has wits enough to read and comprehend these words also knows that when the temperature outside drops to a certain point that you can see your own breath.

As I child I was particularly enamored by this.  While chilling (see what I did there?  I kill me) and waiting for the bus on extremely frigid mornings I would pretend I was smoking a cigarette and thinking to myself how incredibly badass that must look.  That, of course, was before I knew how harmful cigarettes were and that inhaling a lungful of smoke on purpose is just plain stupid.  But I digress.

This morning during the long trek from my car to my office I was purposefully taking in copious amounts of air so that I could watch the “smoke” as I exhaled.  There’s something I’ve always wondered about this phenomenon, however.  You’re able to see your breath because the moisture in the air you exhale is quickly cooled and condenses into fog.  But what I found myself wondering this morning as I “cut the cheese” on my way into work is this: can you see your own farts?

I can never turn my head fast enough to see this.  Does it work the same?  I’m assuming that the air escaping your ass is the same temperature as your breath since your entire body is 98.6 degrees.  But is there moisture in it?  Can you create fog with it?  Can you leave a contrail with an extremely potent fart?

After turning to the almighty Google for assistance, since Google knows everything, I found the answer.  Along with several other things about farts of which I was not aware.  The answer, quite simply, is yes.  I really, really want to see this happen.  Who’s close enough to come over the next time it’s really cold so that we can test this?

41 thoughts on “RTotD: Can you see it?

1. Every time someone mentions wanting to see their own farts, I think of the extra on the move Love Actually. I think I’ve linked you this before, but if not, and if for some reason you haven’t seen it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=GsD-6LHgN90

Good luck with your experiment, haha! :)

Posted by rarasaur | February 21, 2013, 12:05 am
  2. Hahahahaa! I want to see this! Video!

Posted by MissFourEyes | February 21, 2013, 3:16 am
  3. Oh! I’m close enough! I can be the videographer!!

Posted by GingerSnaap | February 21, 2013, 6:56 am
  4. Hahahaha! Oddly enough I also want the answer. I want to see the video and I have no problem getting close, because I’m just that curious.

Posted by Life With The Top Down | February 21, 2013, 7:22 am
  5. I hope whoever helps with your experiment surveys what you ate before they get to close!!

Posted by Polysyllabic Profundities | February 21, 2013, 7:26 am
  6. I tried to interest my son in science when he was little, so I made him do a summer research project on farts. He got all his friends involved and they had a blast. Not a one of them is going into science, though. Sigh.

Posted by Elyse | February 21, 2013, 7:45 am
  7. That’s what drunken comrades are for, Twindaddy

Posted by Rutabaga the Mercenary Researcher | February 21, 2013, 8:27 am
  8. I once worked with a group of people whose habit was to take a brisk walk every day after lunch. One day, I was having some… let us say digestive issues. It was really cold that day… I was walking in front of the others… Yeah. Hilarity ensued.

Well now, thank you for bringing up such a painful memory. Next time why don’t you just give me a paper cut and pour lemon juice on it?

Posted by jaschmehl | February 21, 2013, 8:36 am
  9. You’ve taken me back, buddy! Thanks!

Posted by The Hook | February 21, 2013, 8:40 am
  10. I’m trying to determine if there’s any way to go outside and test this without being noticed.

Posted by The Cutter | February 21, 2013, 11:17 am
  11. Yeah, I witnessed that once. Hysterical. Personally I always liked watching football in the cold months when someone would come off the field and take their helmet off and their head would be steaming. Also I once read that in the arctic it’s so cold that when you breathe you hear your breath hit the ground as ice. Can you imagine an ice fart? Would that be shitting?

Posted by beefybooyawn | February 22, 2013, 5:12 am
  12. This sounds like my dog Trina who each time she farts will turn around and look as if a car just back fired behind her. Some times it is so loud that she yelps as if it has scared her… Just don’t try a bare butt in the cold…you might get frost bite in a place that will not be pleasant…not that frost bite anywhere would be pleasant….

Posted by TammyeHoney | February 22, 2013, 10:52 am