Daily Prompt

So Long, Money

Today’s prompt was suggested by my good buddy Rarasaur!  I just wanted to give her a quick shout out and to tell you guys that if you’re not following this feisty dinosaur that you should.  Rara is caring, compassionate, funny, and entertaining.  I love reading her stuph™ and you will, too.  Now get on over there and check her out!  No, not like that, perverts!  I mean read her blog!  Ugh.

Now, on to Rara’s wonderful topic.

If you could un-invent something, what would it be? Discuss why, potential repercussions, or a possible alternative.

Wow, this is a tough one.  I’m not quite sure why you’d want to regress at all, but let me put my thinking cap on.

Winnie the Pooh Think Think Think

I got it!  No, wait.  Never mind.  It got away.

Nope, I got it again!  Okay.

Money.  That’s what I would un-invent.  Money.  It’s horrible what people do for it.

Honestly, take a look at all things wrong in the world today and you can trace a majority of it back to the insatiable lust for money.  Robberies, murders, blackmail, deceit, dishonesty, wars, deforestation, and many other things all trace back to the almighty dollar.

The rich continue to get richer while the poor get poorer.  Those with money make the decisions for damn near everyone who doesn’t have money.  Look at the oil companies and the monopoly they have on energy.  It seems they’re all in cahoots.  When a gas station raises their prices so do all the others.  Look at the medical insurance and costs in this country.  A visit to your primary care doctor costs $120.  $120 for the doctor to walk in, listen to you bitch about your symptoms, and then prescribe you an antibiotic.  What the fuck?  Watch your TV commercials.  Lawyers clamoring for you to sue somebody, anybody who has ever wronged you so YOU can get the money YOU deserve.  Pathetic.

I can’t answer the second or third parts of the questions because I have no idea what the potential repercussions would be and I certainly don’t have a suggestion for any alternatives.  I’m no economist and I’m certainly not qualified to make decisions such as these, but I just get sickened when I see what some people will do for money.  Obviously a barter system would never work since those with money control almost everything that happens they obviously wouldn’t agree to it.

Sorry.  This kind of turned into a rant, didn’t it?  Oh, well.  I’m sure I’m gonna get a lot of nasty comments about this one, but this is what came to me while I pondered what I would un-invent and this really was the only thing I could come up with.  Money equals power and too many people want it and destroy others in the process of trying to get it.  As for myself, as long as I have enough to provide for my family and have a few nice things I’m fine.  I don’t need to hoard millions or influence world events.  Oh, well.

What about you, dearest reader?  Would you un-invent something?  What would it be?

Check out these other great Daily Prompt posts:

1. Undo – I’m Afraid Of The Dark
  2. Undo « Natalie Elizabeth Beech
  3. Daily Post: Undo | tel-uh-vizh-uh-ner-ee
  4. Control Z Uggs, Please « Q the Adult
  5. Daily Prompt: Undo … Speed Cameras | Fasting, Food and other musings by determined34
  6. Ilya Fostiy. Is There a God? | Philosophy & Photography
  7. Chocolates, Anyone | The Jittery Goat
  8. Un-invent…hatred, violence, weapons … | Hope* the happy hugger
  9. Delete and undo « Spunky Wayfarer
  10. Udo – The Facebook Ad Excess | Kansa Muse on Micro Farming and More
  11. Let’s Try This Again… « Sorta-Ginger

59 thoughts on “So Long, Money

1. Great choice!! Money is the root of all evil.

Posted by Polysyllabic Profundities | February 21, 2013, 9:57 am
  2. You alaways do so much with these prompts, buddy!
    Good for you!

Posted by The Hook | February 21, 2013, 9:58 am
  3. Oh so true.

Posted by 1jaded1 | February 21, 2013, 10:07 am
  4. I posted about nuclear bombs..but well I think Money seriously comes first in line.
    4 weeks ago a 19-year old (only child) was murdered for 600 INR roughly 12$. I mean WTH? There are millions of stories like this but this one happened in my extended family so I feel even worse about it.
    Un-inventing money will remove so many problems and crimes from our world!

Posted by Ritu KT | February 21, 2013, 10:19 am
  5. Between this and wabi sabi, Rara is making us actually think this week. I took the shallow approach to this prompt, but I like your rant…er, post…too.

Posted by sortaginger | February 21, 2013, 10:26 am
  6. I’d uninvent hydrogenated oil.
    And Superstation UPN.

Posted by El Guapo | February 21, 2013, 11:06 am
  7. so can’t wait for the universe of star trek to get here where money has been abolished and everyone works together for the betterment of the species :)

one of my favourite quotes: some people are so poor, all they have is their money.

Posted by monika | February 21, 2013, 11:25 am
  8. its kinda like communism but with ray guns and transporters LOL

Posted by monika | February 21, 2013, 11:29 am
  9. That is why I mentioned the bartering concept in my blog this morning…had your idea in mind. Great blog. Thank you for sharing

Posted by TammyeHoney | February 21, 2013, 11:42 am
  10. Don’t know if we’d be better off without money. Seems like there’d just be more plundering.

Posted by The Cutter | February 21, 2013, 11:50 am
  11. Where would we get stuph?

Seriously, this would be great. If not, I vote for better distribution.

Posted by Elyse | February 21, 2013, 12:09 pm
  12. “The rich continue to get richer while the poor get poorer.”

Citation? In my post on “income inequality” (http://thenullspace.wordpress.com/2012/01/18/on-income-inequality/) I cite a leftist BBC article which found that even the bottom quintile in the U.S. had a real after-tax income increase of 18% between 1979 and 2007. Strictly speaking, an increase in income doesn’t necessarily mean an increase in wealth (i.e. rich vs. poor), but higher incomes would suggest higher wealth.

“Look at the oil companies and the monopoly they have on energy.”

The fact that you use “oil companies” (plural) means they by definition do not have a monopoly (which would imply only one company, like a state-owned oil company with no private competitors).

This would be like saying that the college/university system has a “monopoly” on college-level education — but all those colleges and universities still have to compete with each other.

Money is really just a proxy for wealth so the elimination of money would not equalize rich and poor, nor would the evils done for money be eliminated (people would just commit evil for wealth itself). The economy would also suffer overall since fewer economic transactions are possible with bartering: you and the person you are trying to barter with may not be able to divide your goods and services in such a way that the transaction is mutually beneficial, and you may not have any goods or services actually desired by the other person (and vice versa).

Sorry, nothing personal but this would be a terrible idea.

Posted by Null | February 21, 2013, 12:19 pm
  13. Nasty comments? For what? I concur, like a doctor.

Posted by MissFourEyes | February 21, 2013, 12:30 pm
  14. But how would we get reality show people without dangling money over their . . . ohhhh, hey, come to think of it, this is an awesome idea.

Posted by aliceatwonderland | February 21, 2013, 2:05 pm
  15. Fuck money!!!!!! But can I have some more please?

Posted by becca3416 | February 21, 2013, 3:29 pm
  16. Unfortunately we would just barter or find another way to do the same things. We are wretched that way. Quick question, how idd you get all those links on the bottom of your post? I cannot figure that trick out.

Posted by Joe Owens | February 21, 2013, 5:15 pm
  17. Nasty replies aren’t allowed to any responses to a prompt of my making. It’s pretty much a law. I’d totally dino-squish anyone who dared. :) Everything else I would say was said above by others… Star Trek, distribution, evil roots, etc! :D Great post. :)

Posted by rarasaur | February 21, 2013, 10:10 pm
  18. Eh, I’d get rid of religion. More people die over that than money. But I think the two go hand in hand, because they both make people monsters. Good post. And did someone say get rid of Star Trek? I may have to unfollow the blog…

Posted by beefybooyawn | February 22, 2013, 5:16 am

1. Pingback: Daily Prompt: Undo | بيسان - February 21, 2013

2. Pingback: Daily Prompt: What would I reinvent? | My Blog - February 21, 2013

3. Pingback: Daily Prompt: Undo « Mama Bear Musings - February 21, 2013

4. Pingback: 5 Things I Would UNinvent « Cheri Speak - February 21, 2013

5. Pingback: What I would un-invent | Blog of The Imaginator - February 21, 2013

6. Pingback: Chocolates, Anyone | The Jittery Goat - February 21, 2013

7. Pingback: There’s No Place To Hide, Get Lost, Scratch, Or Pick Anymore | The Jittery Goat - February 21, 2013

8. Pingback: Daily Prompt: Undo | Joe's Musings - February 23, 2013

9. Pingback: Daily Prompt – Undo – Rock & Roll It All the Way Back (An Online Mini-Musical) | toofulltowrite (I've started so I'll finish) - February 25, 2013

10. Pingback: Daily Prompt – Undo OR The Right To Live | Beyond Beauty Tips - February 25, 2013

11. Pingback: The Right To Live - Undoing the invention of Nuclear Bombs | Things To Rave About - June 18, 2013

My Cause