Daily Prompt

Happily Ever After?

I’ve taken a break from the Daily Prompts for a few days because, honestly, I’ve been in a bit of a funk and haven’t been inspired by them.  Although Sunday’s was interesting and I may go back and do it.  I just didn’t have a chance to do any blogging on Sunday.  I feel especially bad for not doing it since I found out that my buddy Melanie suggested the topic.  Shame on me.  Bad form.

*sighs* Moving on…

“And they lived happily ever after.” Think about this line for a few minutes. Are you living happily ever after? If not, what will it take for you to get there?

I don’t know if there is such a thing as “happily ever after.”  There’s always something.  Some drama.  Something to detract from happiness.  A death.  A separation.  A divorce.  A lost friend.  Finding out your life has been a sham.  Life is always throwing curves and handing out lemons.  Why can’t life ever throw a nice, easy to hit fastball?  Why can’t it hand you the lemonade, already made?  Why is  nothing ever fucking easy?

Calvin peeing

I am most definitely NOT living happily ever after and at this moment I have no idea how to get there.  There are certain things I know I want.  I want to be able to continue to provide for my children.  I want stability in my life.  After six months of raging turbulence I can’t really take much more.  I need to settle down and focus on me and my children.  I need to get back to enjoying my hobbies and doing things that make me happy instead of trying to please someone who will never, ever be pleased.  I need to find a way to spend more time with the twins.  They sometimes feel like strangers to me because of our current living arrangements and  I, quite frankly, am pissed at myself because of that now.

I will be rectifying some of that very soon and will be spending more time with them.  I’ll need to figure out the rest by trial and error.

I also need to figure out how to make myself happy.  For my own sake.  For the sake of my children.  For the sake of my writing.  I’ve written a lot of depressing shit lately and it’s kinda irritating me, but that’s how I feel right now.

Before I end this not so Unshitty™ post (which I guess would make it shitty), I’d just like to tell life to fuck off.

fuck you stormtrooper 2

Double barrel fuck off.

Other great Daily Prompt posts

1. Where’s your ambition? | Right Down My Alley
  2. Ilya Fostiy. Prophetic Dream | Philosophy & Photography
  3. Yes I am… Maybe. «Natalie Elizabeth Beech Natalie Elizabeth Beech
  4. Daily Prompt: Happily Ever After | Loading…
  5. Daily Post: Happily Ever After | tel-uh-vizh-uh-ner-ee
  6. On Happy Endings | Never Stationary
  7. The cake is a lie | The Nameless One
  8. Ones upon a time. | ayimas
  9. Right now… | Hope* the happy hugger
  10. Fairytales | Spunky Wayfarer
  11. Fairy Tales | Spunky Wayfarer
  12. Daily Promp: Happily Ever After | LooknWalk

96 thoughts on “Happily Ever After?

1. I hope some big can of happiness lands in your lap as soon as possible. You’re a good guy, Daddy, you deserve to be happy and share that feeling with your kids.

Posted by Polysyllabic Profundities | February 26, 2013, 9:19 am
  2. Unfortunately, life does not easily provide us with “happily ever afters.” We just have to keep plugging away the best we can.

Posted by The Cutter | February 26, 2013, 9:22 am
  3. How would anyone know what happily ever after was? It’s a concept that is just waiting to make people feel bad about their lives. It’s like saying let’s be happy all the time! That’s crud – people have to have ups and downs (and I do understand that sometimes things seem to be permanently going DOWN)…and like love songs (which I loathe) they give us an unrealistic goal for which we will never attain and thus feel like perpetual losers.

How about peace & serenity? How about coping with the situation we have and working on how to adjust to make changes or adapt? How about people stop always trying to ‘improve’ everything and just live in the now?

Um… I’m ranting, aren’t I?

I know there’s an argument for bettering our lives – I don’t deny it…but it seems that we are always having to change everything b/c we are suckage if we aren’t trying.

Posted by Rutabaga the Mercenary Researcher | February 26, 2013, 9:28 am
  4. I wrote a piece on Tryst called ‘happily ever after!!’ I’d give u link here but I’m on my phone.. haven’t busted open my LT yet.. (use my search bar if interested) as always, I love the way you write!!

9500 ppl w/o power here now… things are crazy here… omg!!

Posted by jenlefeverwood | February 26, 2013, 9:30 am
  5. Here’s my philosophy on happily ever after: unless you go through a ton of plot twists to get there, you don’t appreciate is as much. Own your struggle, I say. Your happy ending will only be that much sweeter if you do.

Posted by Katie | February 26, 2013, 9:33 am
  6. I want to say something to make it all better. A wave of a magic wand, something, anything. But I can’t. All I can say is that I’m with you telling life to fuck off.

Posted by MissFourEyes | February 26, 2013, 9:46 am
  7. It should say ‘Happily Ever After except for those occasional patches of sadness or sickness, anger or frustration, and fear and loneliness which pop up in everyone’s landscape from time to time.’ I really hope you can find a way to spend more time with your boys.

Posted by happyzinny | February 26, 2013, 9:57 am
  8. I am sorry, I am there with you for different reasons. It took some effort for me to not write a very similar post today, which is pretty much all I write anymore. So I skipped the prompt today. Site stats be damned.

I am going to pretend your DBFO at the end is toward my life too, if that is cool.

Posted by sortaginger | February 26, 2013, 10:22 am
  9. I wish I could help, but just know you have my moral support whenever you need it.

Posted by The Hook | February 26, 2013, 11:06 am
  10. I don’t believe in Happily Ever After in the fairytale context. I think the best we can do is Happy as Possible. Hugs to you, brother.

Posted by Madame Weebles | February 26, 2013, 11:29 am
  11. I feel like this mood is hovering over a lot of us lately. Life is always evolving at a faster rate than we can keep up with sometimes. Eventually you will get a few moments back in the lead. Just keep moving forward.

There is your Mr. Roger’s inspired comment for the day. ALSO: Happy YouTube Tuesday…

Posted by becca3416 | February 26, 2013, 12:33 pm
  12. I figured you would. But you’ll kick life’s ass soon enough. I know you will.

Posted by twindaddy | February 26, 2013, 12:50 pm
  13. I know there is always this great push, this desire and drive to please the people we love in this life. We want to provide for them and take care of them. But, I’ve found (and read in some books on the subject) that we need to take care of ourselves first – we need to make sure we are provided for (mentally, physically, emotionally) before we can be the provider we want to be for the rest of the people in our lives. So, I say throw yourself back into the hobbies you love, go in search of what you think would bring you back into the happiness fold, and because you are then enjoying things more, somehow, the rest of it will be easier – solutions will be there that weren’t there before, the energy and time will come back into sync, etc… Perhaps this is a naive view, perhaps it won’t work for everyone, but it won’t hurt to try will it?

Posted by djmatticus | February 26, 2013, 12:51 pm
  14. I think “happily ever after” would be boring. I mean, every day where everything goes according to plan, and there’s no challenges or changes? Where’s the fun in that? Where’s the things that stretch you and help you grow as a person? OK, life might be pretty grim now, but you’re working on sorting it, and then you’ll be able to look back and feel pleased that you were able to sort the situation.

It would be wonderful to see a fairy story end “and they all lived happily ever after, at least, until the first child was born, when they were then introduced to sleepless nights and post-natal depression”.

Posted by faithhopechocolate | February 26, 2013, 2:02 pm
  15. I’m still playing around with Sunday’s prompt as well – it would be interesting to see what you come up with!

Posted by t | February 26, 2013, 2:33 pm
  16. This euphoric version of happiness we are supposed to attain looks more to me like a symptom of mental illness. Most people don’t go around skipping and high fiving and swinging off lamp posts with maniacal smiles on their faces, and if they do it’s just straight up annoying. The fact that you spend time thinking about what kind of father you are and how you want to be makes you a good dad. Your circumstances are not ordinary to say the least, but you are doing your best despite multiple challenges. In my more bleak of moods I would say ‘what the fuck is the point? We’re all just going to die anyway!’ But in the mood I’m in today I’m saying if we get to the end of our lives and know that we loved and were loved, that we did the best with what we had and that the world is in some way better than we left it then we’ve probably lived as happy a life as it gets.

Posted by stephrogers | February 26, 2013, 3:35 pm
  17. Happiness is overrated. Depression sucks. A happy medium is where it’s at. If you figure out how to get there, let me know.

Posted by goldfish | February 26, 2013, 4:21 pm
  18. But when you get to the Happy (and you will), you can look back on now and see what you did to get there.
    And then teach the twins to do teh same when they’re in a funk.

Posted by El Guapo | February 26, 2013, 4:45 pm
  19. I’ve done all I can do: I gave you a Reese’s Peanut Butter Egg.

Posted by Revis Edgewater | February 26, 2013, 8:04 pm
  20. I know what you mean. Beyond whatever life circumstances you are going through, depression makes it worse. I’ve had people say it’s worse because it’s winter. There is something to that. Cold sucks. Except when you’re snowed in as we were the last two days. No work, woot. Well, except I was trapped w/ the things and well – there’s a post on it on Friday. We made a photo of Hoth cause we’re geeks.

If you want to talk more privately you have my email. Seriously. Feel better.

Posted by aliceatwonderland | February 26, 2013, 8:17 pm
  21. Roseann Roseannadana was right — “It’s always something.” TwinDaddy, I am late to this post. But I agree with what a lot of your other buddies said, especially the advice to essentially put your oxygen mask on first. It’s good advice.

You will get there. And no life is perfect. We all just do the best we can. Go do something you love — have some fun. And find humor wherever you can.

Drop me a line if you want to chat. OR bitch.

Posted by Elyse | February 26, 2013, 8:17 pm
  22. I’m a big fan of the whole lemonade concept, except that your perspective is not happy to me. :) I love your blog…please just don’t pee in my lemonade….pretty pretty please…?

Posted by Wiley Schmidt | February 26, 2013, 11:33 pm
  23. Ah I feel your pain! Great post as always.

Posted by Jo | February 27, 2013, 5:44 am
  24. The happily ever after idea is just that, an idea. The concept leaves you running on that wheel to nowhere like a hamster. You took the first step by giving the idea the big F-off. Now it’s time to get happy. Since you already have a knack for writing I’m going to suggest you get yourself a notebook and write down one thing each day that you are grateful for each day. (stop rolling your eyes) I thought this was such BS until I did it. After 30 days you might be surprised by the results. I always keep you in a positive light Twin…I’m going to change the bulb and make it a little brighter.

Posted by Life With The Top Down | February 27, 2013, 7:07 am

1. Pingback: Daily Prompt: Happily Ever After | Joe's Musings - February 26, 2013

2. Pingback: Daily Prompt: Happily Ever After « Mama Bear Musings - February 26, 2013

3. Pingback: Did you say “Happiness”? | بيسان - February 26, 2013

4. Pingback: To Be Happily Ever After You Must Be Happily Ever Before. | The Jittery Goat - February 26, 2013

5. Pingback: Getting A Happy Ending – A Daily Prompt Post | Edward Hotspur - February 26, 2013

6. Pingback: Daily Prompt: Happily Ever After Without Migraines | My Blog - February 28, 2013