Daily Prompt

I Don’t Wanna Grow Up

It’s been awhile since I’ve participated in the Daily Prompt (again), but in my defense I’ve been moving and going through life changing events.  SO BACK OFF!  Hahahahaha.  Just kidding.  Not really.  Back off.  Now.

But I’m getting back into a routine now, and that means participating in the Daily Prompt as often as I can.  Or at least as often as my laziness allows.  On to the prompt!

When was the first time you really felt like a grown up (if ever)?

There are so many directions I could go with this.  I could tell you that it was when I inherited two stepchildren at the age of 20.  Or it could’ve been when the twins were born when I was 22.  Maybe when I got married the first time.  Or perhaps when I bought my first house just months after the twins were born.

I could go back even further.  When I bought my first car?  When I got my first paycheck ever?  Could it be the first time I got laid?  The first time I paid a bill?  The first time I moved out of my parents’ house?  Maybe when I graduated high school?  I know, it was the first time I had to go to the drug store and buy depends for my grandma.

It really all depends on your perspective.  How do you define being grown up?  Is it handling responsibilities?  Raising children?  Reaching a certain age?  Being mature?  I really don’t have a concrete definition of what it means to be a grown up.  What I do know is that I’m not one and I hope to never be one.

*gasp* But Twindaddy!  You’re 35!  You have to grow up some time!

Ahem, excuse me while I politely tell you to fuck off…

fuck you stormtrooper1

Seriously, do I look grown up to you?

I have not and will not grow up.  I handle my responsibilities.  I pay my bills.  I go to work.  I raise my children.  I do my job to the best of my ability.  You know what, though?  I like to play.  I love playing with my children.  I love playing video games. I love making childish jokes.  It’s fun.  I like being goofy.  I love to make people laugh.  If you live without love and laughter, you’re not really living.

So while a part of me is indeed “grown up” and handles the adult things it needs to handle, the rest of me is enjoying everything it possibly can and not taking everything so damn seriously and not stressing out about shit out of my control.

You only have one life and I’m not going to waste it doing grown up things, whatever those things are.  I’m going to continue to be goofy.  I’m going to continue to play with my kids and love every minute of it.  I’m going to continue to play video games.  I’m going to keep making perverted jokes and innuendo because, hey, it’s funny, don’t care who y’are.  I’m going to continue to make an ass of myself just to get a laugh out of people because I love making people laugh.  I’m going to go out and get drunk and sing badly because it’s fun, dammit.

You guys get the point, right?  I can stop now?  Good.  I’m in one of those moods right now where the caffeine is in control and I’m rambling like an idiot.  But a fun idiot!  It’s what makes me so damn endearing.

So we’ve come to the end.  The end of the post.  And I can’t let it go.  Wait.  Shit.  Those are the lyrics to a Boyz II Men song.  I can’t believe I just did that.  Anyhow, audience participation time!!  Woohoo!!  What is your definition of grown-up?  Do you consider yourself grown up?  If so, when did you start feeling that way?

Check out these other great Daily Prompt posts!

1. Daily Post: All Grown Up | tel-uh-vizh-uh-ner-ee
  2. 20,Alone and Becoming a Woman. «Natalie Elizabeth Beech Natalie Elizabeth Beech
  3. DP: All Grown Up | Life of Me and Mine
  4. Daddy’s little girl, all grown up | Right Down My Alley
  5. Somethings (Most Things) Are Best Unsaid | The Jittery Goat
  6. All Grown Up! | Misifusa’s Blog
  7. A proper grown up decision! | Random Encounters of an Inquisitive Mind
  8. Daily Prompt: All Grown Up | onmonruecha
  9. All Grown Up | The Nameless One
  10. “Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again” C.S. Lewis | F. scribbles
  11. Daily Prompt: All Grown Up | Mostly Just Fiction
  21. Adulthood in Black and White | Short and Feisty
  22. The ticking crocodile | The Daily Dilly Dally
  23. So What’s For Dinner? | The Cutter Rambles
  24. Our Last Days As Children | das Nicht-zuhause-sein
  25. Daily Prompt: All Grown Up, Maybe Eventually | Lines by Linda
  26. I Don’t Wanna Grow Up | Stuphblog
  27. Narcissus. | Share, My Dad Says.
  28. All Grown Up – or am I? | Happy Monkey Land and Other Musings on Life
  29. The Quintessential Quarter-Life Crisis Blog Post | Share, My Dad Says.
  30. Daily Prompt: All Grown Up | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
  31. Am I there yet? | Now Writing Every Day
  32. Daily Prompt: All Grown Up | Basically Beyond Basic
  33. I’d never grow up «Pigments of Life Pigments of Life
  34. Do I have to? | jaycee68
  35. I Grew Up | So You Think You Can Think
  36. Growing Up or Just Getting Older? | Adventures of an Aussie Girl in London
  37. Daily Prompt: All Grown Up | still waiting to feel like a grown up… | don of all trades
  38. Growing up | thelissachronicles

64 thoughts on “I Don’t Wanna Grow Up

1. http://youtu.be/I-rEHiGf3xI

Peter Pan says we never truly have to grow up and that movie was before my time even…

Posted by TammyeHoney | March 6, 2013, 11:19 am
  2. Accepting that you don’t have to “grow up” is perhaps the strongest sign that you have.

Posted by The Cutter | March 6, 2013, 11:21 am
  3. I can’t remember when I’ve ever felt like an adult. I just blot out the memories when that happens.

Posted by El Guapo | March 6, 2013, 11:21 am
  4. Being grown-up is not giggling when your boss asks you about your ‘duties’. It’s when you refrain from replying that they went quite ‘smoothly’.
    Being grown-up is realizing that you are not the target demographic for kiddie cartoons. It is not about trying to find dirty jokes in Dora the Explorer.
    Being a grown-up is unnecessary.

Posted by MissFourEyes | March 6, 2013, 11:58 am
  5. I can’t help myself from saying “giggity” whenever I hear something even marginally sexual in nature, or repeating “duty” whenever somebody says “duty” Ha, duty! Same with “wood”. So no, I’m not grown up. I’m not completely immature, but not grown up. Great post!

Posted by donofalltrades | March 6, 2013, 12:38 pm
  6. I don’t want you to grow up…..we like you just the way you are! Please continue to tarnish that armor with your perverted sense of humor and sexual innuendos!! Long live the humping Trooper!!

Posted by Polysyllabic Profundities | March 6, 2013, 12:45 pm
  7. No, no. You’re onto something here, I think. Keep going.

Posted by twindaddy | March 6, 2013, 1:31 pm
  8. Ill have to write in this prompt after work.

Completely agree though. Never adult.

Posted by Not Quite Alice | March 6, 2013, 1:45 pm
  9. I don’t meet the grown-up criteria, I maybe meet the standards of an eight year old at best. ;P

Posted by theloneshewolf | March 6, 2013, 2:04 pm
  10. Now i need a banana suit

Posted by theloneshewolf | March 6, 2013, 2:48 pm
  11. Ummmm, TwinDaddy, does it count as a Daily Prompt if you only do them when you damn well please?

I guess I was just feeling a wee bit too grown up there. Just for a minute (or did I mean a millennium?). Sigh.

Posted by Elyse | March 6, 2013, 3:16 pm
  12. I guess I was ahead of the game, I wrote a similar post over the weekend. The consesus was “Don’t Go Changin’”, keep being silly, goofy, unique, whatever.

Posted by sortaginger | March 6, 2013, 3:40 pm
  13. Grown-ups frown upon fart laughter, therefore I am excluded from that group. Thank God!

Posted by Life With The Top Down | March 6, 2013, 5:57 pm
  14. With my kids packed in the car the other day there was a rare moment of silence and I yelled out “vagina!” and hilarity reigned. Once that died down I tried “penis!” , that one’s funny too. As was boobies and bottom face. What do grown-ups do on boring car trips?

Posted by stephrogers | March 6, 2013, 8:40 pm
  15. Welcome back.

Posted by 1jaded1 | March 6, 2013, 8:53 pm
  16. Your response warms my heart, buddy.
    I’ll never grow up either.

Posted by The Hook | March 7, 2013, 9:38 am
  17. I think the thing about getting older is learning when to act as if you have grown up.

Most of the time I’d rather be a kid, it’s much more fun!

Posted by faithhopechocolate | March 8, 2013, 8:56 am

1. Pingback: Some Things (Most Things) Are Best Unsaid | The Jittery Goat - March 6, 2013

2. Pingback: Daily Prompt: All Grown Up | nicksen - March 6, 2013

3. Pingback: When I Woke Up, I Realized I Was OLD! | So I Went Undercover - March 6, 2013