It’s been awhile since I’ve participated in the Daily Prompt (again), but in my defense I’ve been moving and going through life changing events. SO BACK OFF! Hahahahaha. Just kidding. Not really. Back off. Now.
But I’m getting back into a routine now, and that means participating in the Daily Prompt as often as I can. Or at least as often as my laziness allows. On to the prompt!
There are so many directions I could go with this. I could tell you that it was when I inherited two stepchildren at the age of 20. Or it could’ve been when the twins were born when I was 22. Maybe when I got married the first time. Or perhaps when I bought my first house just months after the twins were born.
I could go back even further. When I bought my first car? When I got my first paycheck ever? Could it be the first time I got laid? The first time I paid a bill? The first time I moved out of my parents’ house? Maybe when I graduated high school? I know, it was the first time I had to go to the drug store and buy depends for my grandma.
It really all depends on your perspective. How do you define being grown up? Is it handling responsibilities? Raising children? Reaching a certain age? Being mature? I really don’t have a concrete definition of what it means to be a grown up. What I do know is that I’m not one and I hope to never be one.
*gasp* But Twindaddy! You’re 35! You have to grow up some time!
Ahem, excuse me while I politely tell you to fuck off…
I have not and will not grow up. I handle my responsibilities. I pay my bills. I go to work. I raise my children. I do my job to the best of my ability. You know what, though? I like to play. I love playing with my children. I love playing video games. I love making childish jokes. It’s fun. I like being goofy. I love to make people laugh. If you live without love and laughter, you’re not really living.
So while a part of me is indeed “grown up” and handles the adult things it needs to handle, the rest of me is enjoying everything it possibly can and not taking everything so damn seriously and not stressing out about shit out of my control.
You only have one life and I’m not going to waste it doing grown up things, whatever those things are. I’m going to continue to be goofy. I’m going to continue to play with my kids and love every minute of it. I’m going to continue to play video games. I’m going to keep making perverted jokes and innuendo because, hey, it’s funny, don’t care who y’are. I’m going to continue to make an ass of myself just to get a laugh out of people because I love making people laugh. I’m going to go out and get drunk and sing badly because it’s fun, dammit.
You guys get the point, right? I can stop now? Good. I’m in one of those moods right now where the caffeine is in control and I’m rambling like an idiot. But a fun idiot! It’s what makes me so damn endearing.
So we’ve come to the end. The end of the post. And I can’t let it go. Wait. Shit. Those are the lyrics to a Boyz II Men song. I can’t believe I just did that. Anyhow, audience participation time!! Woohoo!! What is your definition of grown-up? Do you consider yourself grown up? If so, when did you start feeling that way?
Check out these other great Daily Prompt posts!
- Daily Post: All Grown Up | tel-uh-vizh-uh-ner-ee
- 20,Alone and Becoming a Woman. «Natalie Elizabeth Beech Natalie Elizabeth Beech
- DP: All Grown Up | Life of Me and Mine
- Daddy’s little girl, all grown up | Right Down My Alley
- Somethings (Most Things) Are Best Unsaid | The Jittery Goat
- All Grown Up! | Misifusa’s Blog
- A proper grown up decision! | Random Encounters of an Inquisitive Mind
- Daily Prompt: All Grown Up | onmonruecha
- All Grown Up | The Nameless One
- “Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again” C.S. Lewis | F. scribbles
- Daily Prompt: All Grown Up | Mostly Just Fiction
- Daily Prompt: All Grown Up | Daddy’s Naughty Little Girl
- Grownup | Day of the Week Fat Pants
- March Daily Prompt: Begin Growing | Portofolio Prita
- Daily Prompt: All Grown Up! | EMBRACE YOU
- still waiting | thematticuskingdom
- A Person of All Ages | ARay of Sunshine
- Seeing the light | Hope* the happy hugger
- Daily Prompt: All Grown Up | likereadingontrains
- Daddy’s Little Monster | Ald+R
- Adulthood in Black and White | Short and Feisty
- The ticking crocodile | The Daily Dilly Dally
- So What’s For Dinner? | The Cutter Rambles
- Our Last Days As Children | das Nicht-zuhause-sein
- Daily Prompt: All Grown Up, Maybe Eventually | Lines by Linda
- I Don’t Wanna Grow Up | Stuphblog
- Narcissus. | Share, My Dad Says.
- All Grown Up – or am I? | Happy Monkey Land and Other Musings on Life
- The Quintessential Quarter-Life Crisis Blog Post | Share, My Dad Says.
- Daily Prompt: All Grown Up | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Am I there yet? | Now Writing Every Day
- Daily Prompt: All Grown Up | Basically Beyond Basic
- I’d never grow up «Pigments of Life Pigments of Life
- Do I have to? | jaycee68
- I Grew Up | So You Think You Can Think
- Growing Up or Just Getting Older? | Adventures of an Aussie Girl in London
- Daily Prompt: All Grown Up | still waiting to feel like a grown up… | don of all trades
- Growing up | thelissachronicles