Daily Prompt

A Nostalgic Song

Tell us about a sensation — a taste, a smell, a piece of music — that transports you back to childhood.

There are many sensations that take me back to my childhood.  Most of them are musical.  There are many songs that remind of a specific time in my life.  Songs I clung to at that particular time.

Mostly, it’s music that takes me back.  No tastes or smells take me back, really, because I don’t have the same tastes and smells around.  I didn’t necessarily like the food I was raised on.  It wasn’t that my mom was a bad cook (dad rarely cooked) although there were some adventures in the kitchen.  She just made Italian food which, even though I’m part Italian, I really don’t care for.  I don’t particularly care for any type of tomato sauce.  So things like spaghetti, lasagna, chicken parmesan, and other classic Italian dishes aren’t things I eat.  So I’m therefore never reminded much of my childhood by food or smell.  Plus, my mom is diabetic and has heart disease so she can’t eat any of the food we were raised on anyway so she no longer makes it.

Penne pasta served with tomato sauce

Yuck.  If I douse it with salt, pepper, and Parmesan cheese I can eat it, though. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

I guess for the sake of this post I should just pick a song and go with it otherwise I could be here rambling all day about what songs remind me of what.

Hmmm….give me a minute.  I’ll be right back after I pick a song.

After much debating with myself (it really was quite grueling and agonizing) I settled on Welcome to the Jungle, by GNR.  I settled on this song for a couple of reasons.  One, it’s a kick-ass song.  Two, it represented a very good time in my life.

You see, this song unwittingly became a rallying cry for my favorite NFL team, the Cincinnati Bengals.  The song was released and became wildly popular the year the Bengals last went to the Superbowl.  Riverfront Stadium, which was where the Bengals played their home games at the time, was unofficially dubbed “The Jungle” that year due to that song.  The song was played over and over in the stadium and on local radio to honor our team.

I became swept up, as most everyone around here did, with the associated mania of having your team go to the Superbowl.  It was all Bengals all the time.  That meant listening to Welcome to the Jungle often, and also listening to the Who Dey Rap (horrible song warning) constantly, too.  We were all enjoying the two weeks leading up to the Superbowl.  It was all Bengals all the time.  Everyone was wearing orange and black.  An entire community was united behind a single idea.  Despite the fact that we were all united over a silly game, we were still united.  I, sadly, became a devoted fan of the Bengals during that year, and they’ve largely sucked since then.

bengalhead

The Cincinnati Bengals.  Mass producing disappointment since 1989. (Photo credit: 007NASCARCovert)

Listening  to Welcome to the Jungle often reminds me of that time.  I was so young and so excited that MY team might win the Superbowl, which of course they didn’t.  Fucking Joe Montana.  Anyhow, Welcome to the Jungle is still a mainstay of the Bengals.  It still is played before every kick-off.  Paul Brown Stadium, the current home of the Bengals, is unofficially referred to as “The Jungle.”  Welcome to the Jungle is still one of my favorite songs and I’ll never know if it’s because of those times or because the song is really that good.

Query:  What about you, dearest Stuph Maphia™?  What song takes you back?

27 thoughts on “A Nostalgic Song

1. Oooh, this is a tough one. Probably “Bye, Bye, Bye” by NSYNC. I remember trying to learn that dance with my friends. We put JT to shame.

Posted by Katie | April 4, 2013, 1:17 pm
  2. I am amazed you only picked one song lol…must be that YouTube Tuesday and Wednesday picked the brain a bit lol…

Posted by TammyeHoney | April 4, 2013, 1:21 pm
  3. As an Italian, I’m appalled that you dislike pasta dishes!! Lol. Was that when the world was subjected to the Ickey Shuffle every time that Ickey Woods scored a touchdown? That whole GnR (cassette tape) album reminds me of the summer before and my freshman year in college. I played that tape constantly in my dorm room! Great times.

Posted by donofalltrades | April 4, 2013, 2:22 pm
  4. I want to go back..Huey Lewis, I think.

Posted by merbear74 | April 4, 2013, 2:44 pm
  5. You mean Polaroids?

Posted by twindaddy | April 4, 2013, 4:51 pm
  6. Mine is stupid, but every time I hear the song, “that’s all” by Genesis, I always see a salt shaker shaking out salt, and I can see myself sitting in the back of my parents Cutlass as an infant. I told you it was stupid.

But, it’s very vivid, every time. Good tune too!

Posted by Adam S | April 4, 2013, 8:08 pm
  7. Theme from Star Wars. First movie I saw in a theater.

Posted by 1jaded1 | April 4, 2013, 10:49 pm
  8. I think it got to be music for me too! Any ABBA or Queen always send me back! X

Posted by Queenie | April 5, 2013, 8:41 am
  9. The Pina Coloda song.
    Yes, it’s a guilty pleasure, but its also part of my childhood. So shut up.

Posted by The Hook | April 5, 2013, 10:27 am
    • The Garth Brooks song? Or is there another one I don’t know about?

Posted by twindaddy | April 5, 2013, 10:37 am
      • Escape (The Pina Colada Song) by Rupert Holmes

I was tired of my lady, we’d been together too long.
        Like a worn-out recording, of a favorite song.
        So while she lay there sleeping, I read the paper in bed.
        And in the personals column, there was this letter I read:

“If you like Pina Coladas, and getting caught in the rain.
        If you’re not into yoga, if you have half-a-brain.
        If you like making love at midnight, in the dunes of the cape.
        I’m the lady you’ve looked for, write to me, and escape.”

I didn’t think about my lady, I know that sounds kind of mean.
        But me and my old lady, had fallen into the same old dull routine.
        So I wrote to the paper, took out a personal ad.
        And though I’m nobody’s poet, I thought it wasn’t half-bad.

“Yes, I like Pina Coladas, and getting caught in the rain.
        I’m not much into health food, I am into champagne.
        I’ve got to meet you by tomorrow noon, and cut through all this red tape.
        At a bar called O’Malley’s, where we’ll plan our escape.”

So I waited with high hopes, then she walked in the place.
        I knew her smile in an instant, I knew the curve of her face.
        It was my own lovely lady, and she said, “Oh, it’s you.”
        And we laughed for a moment, and I said, “I never knew”..

“That you liked Pina Coladas, and getting caught in the rain.
        And the feel of the ocean, and the taste of champagne.
        If you like making love at midnight, in the dunes of the cape.
        You’re the love that I’ve looked for, come with me, and escape.”

“If you like Pina Coladas, and getting caught in the rain.
        If you’re not into yoga, if you have half-a-brain.
        If you like making love at midnight, in the dunes of the cape.
        You’re the love that I’ve looked for, come with me, and escape.”

Posted by The Hook | April 5, 2013, 10:39 am

1. Pingback: We’ll Never Smell That Way Again | The Jittery Goat - April 4, 2013

2. Pingback: Daily Prompt: Share the Love of Who Inspired Me | My Daily Prompt Blog - April 5, 2013