Even though the calendar told us it was spring a couple of weeks ago (well, for those of us in the northern hemisphere, anyhow), Mother Nature didn’t grace us with Spring-like weather until this past weekend. I was able to open my windows and let the damp, cool breeze permeate my home and listen to the calming sound of raindrops gently striking the ground. I was able to roll down my windows when I went to the store this weekend and it was warm enough to wear a pair of shorts and some flip-flops. It felt good to be outside for a change. It wasn’t too hot and it wasn’t too cold. Like that third bowl of porridge, it was just right.
So now that the calendar and Mother Nature are finally in sync again, and the turning of Winter to Spring is now complete. The people over at the Daily Prompt want to know (they’re a curious bunch over there) what everybody’s favorite season is. So…having set this prompt up quite nicely, if I do say so myself (and I do), PROMPT ME!
Winter. Winter is my favorite season. I love the cold. I love snow. I love the holidays associated with it. Christmas. New Year’s Day. Superbowl Sunday. The NFL playoffs. I love the unmolested view of a freshly fallen snow. I love wearing layers of clothes. Hoodies, especially (No Geraldo, I’m not a thug). I love wearing hoodies. I love winter food. I love making my spicy chili. I love a good cup of piping hot soup. I love drinking creamy hot chocolate or a steaming cup of delicious coffee. I love egg nog. I love pumpkin pie. I love the Pumpkin Spiced Latte from Starbucks. And finally, Baby C’s birthday in January.
I do like fall for a number of reasons. The weather begins to cool. Football starts. Then there’s Thanksgiving, autumn leaves, and Halloween. Also, the twins’ birthday in early December.
Spring is okay. It’s not too hot, but it rains entirely too much. Then there are thunderstorms, tornadoes, and flash floods. None of those things are very much fun.
And then, finally, there’s summer. There’s a lot to like about summer in theory. Barbeques, 4th of July, swimming, going to the beach, vacations, etc. Everybody loves summer. Except for me. I can’t stand being hot. I hate to sweat. I hate going out to my car after a long day at work and getting burned by everything I touch. I hate cooking in my car while I wait for the AC to finally get cool. I hate 90 to 100 degree days that keep us inside when we’d rather be out playing. I’m sure I’ll get lambasted in the comments for stating that summer is my least favorite season, but so be it.
Really, I could do without Summer and Spring. If we could just go from Winter to Fall and do it all over again that would be great. And that’s my run-down of the four seasons and how I feel about each of them. Take it or leave it. Or let me know what an idiot I am in the comments. You always do.
Query: What is your favorite season, dearest reader?
Check out these other great Daily Prompt posts
- My story collection Platypus | Best Adventures of Bzebza, the Bodacious Beetle
- The Cold Season | Death By Any Other Name
- The winter blues | Right Down My Alley
- April Is Not The Cruelest Month | Tony’s Texts
- 8|4 Daily Prompt: Turn, Turn, Turn | Family Photos Food & Craft
- Ah the joys of the mildly tepid days of summer… | thoughtsofrkh
- By George… | Tommia’s Tablet
- Daily Prompt: Turn, Turn, Turn | JUkk
- In Love with Autumn | بيسان
- Life in transition | Polyprotic Amory
- April Showers and March Flowers | Sounding Board
- Daily Prompt: Turn, Turn, Turn, Please! | Reviewer Rose
- Les Boise Lumineux, Idaho | The Jittery Goat
- Daily Prompt: Turn, Turn, Turn 8th, April 2013 | ittikorn1994
- A child for all seasons | Prompt Queen
- Daily Prompt: Turn, Turn, Turn | Of Glass & Paper
- All the lovely colors | Spunky Wayfarer
- No Such Thing as a Cold Season | Daily Prompt: Turn, Turn, Turn | likereadingontrains
- Daily Prompt: Turn, Turn, Turn | Dianaruth’s Journal
- T’is the season … to appreciate everything awesome | Random Encounters of an Inquisitive Mind
- Daily Prompt: Turning of the Seasons | My Daily Prompt Blog
- Daily Prompt: Fall is definitely my favorite! | EMBRACE YOU
- Every Season Is Different | Angel Frouk
- Daily Prompt: Turn, Turn, Turn « Mama Bear Musings