Daily Prompt

And the Season Turns – What’s Your Favorite Season?

Even though the calendar told us it was spring a couple of weeks ago (well, for those of us in the northern hemisphere, anyhow), Mother Nature didn’t grace us with Spring-like weather until this past weekend.  I was able to open my windows and let the damp, cool breeze permeate my home and listen to the calming sound of raindrops gently striking the ground.  I was able to roll down my windows when I went to the store this weekend and it was warm enough to wear a pair of shorts and some flip-flops.  It felt good to be outside for a change.  It wasn’t too hot and it wasn’t too cold.  Like that third bowl of porridge, it was just right.

English: Spring Rain, 1912 John Sloan (1871–19...

English: Spring Rain, 1912 John Sloan (1871–1951) Oil on canvas, 20 ¼ x 26 inches Delaware Art Museum, Gift of the John Sloan Memorial Foundation, 1986 (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

So now that the calendar and Mother Nature are finally in sync again, and the turning of Winter to Spring is now complete.  The people over at the Daily Prompt want to know (they’re a curious bunch over there) what everybody’s favorite season is.  So…having set this prompt up quite nicely, if I do say so myself (and I do), PROMPT ME!

For many of us, winter is blooming into spring, or fall hardening into winter. Which season do you most look forward to?

Winter.  Winter is my favorite season.  I love the cold.  I love snow.  I love the holidays associated with it.  Christmas.  New Year’s Day.  Superbowl Sunday.  The NFL playoffs.  I love the unmolested view of a freshly fallen snow.  I love wearing layers of clothes.  Hoodies, especially (No Geraldo, I’m not a thug). I love wearing hoodies.  I love winter food.  I love making my spicy chili.  I love a good cup of piping hot soup.  I love drinking creamy hot chocolate or a steaming cup of delicious coffee.  I love egg nog.  I love pumpkin pie.  I love the Pumpkin Spiced Latte from Starbucks.  And finally, Baby C’s birthday in January.

Snow at Chorki Lodge, Falls Creek 2007

See?  Snow can even make a mundane deck like this look amazing. (Photo credit: hohohob)

I do like fall for a number of reasons.  The weather begins to cool.  Football starts.  Then there’s Thanksgiving, autumn leaves, and Halloween.  Also, the twins’ birthday in early December.

The autumn as one of the four meteorological a...

Prettyyyyyy. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Spring is okay.  It’s not too hot, but it rains entirely too much.  Then there are thunderstorms, tornadoes, and flash floods.  None of those things are very much fun.

And then, finally, there’s summer.  There’s a lot to like about summer in theory. Barbeques, 4th of July, swimming, going to the beach, vacations, etc.  Everybody loves summer.  Except for me.  I can’t stand being hot.  I hate to sweat.  I hate going out to my car after a long day at work and getting burned by everything I touch.  I hate cooking in my car while I wait for the AC to finally get cool.  I hate 90 to 100 degree days that keep us inside when we’d rather be out playing.  I’m sure I’ll get lambasted in the comments for stating that summer is my least favorite season, but so be it.

Really, I could do without Summer and Spring.  If we could just go from Winter to Fall and do it all over again that would be great.  And that’s my run-down of the four seasons and how I feel about each of them.  Take it or leave it.  Or let me know what an idiot I am in the comments.  You always do.

Query:  What is your favorite season, dearest reader?

Check out these other great Daily Prompt posts

1. My story collection Platypus | Best Adventures of Bzebza, the Bodacious Beetle
  2. The Cold Season | Death By Any Other Name
  12. Daily Prompt: Turn, Turn, Turn, Please! | Reviewer Rose
  13. Les Boise Lumineux, Idaho | The Jittery Goat
  14. Daily Prompt: Turn, Turn, Turn 8th, April 2013 | ittikorn1994
  15. A child for all seasons | Prompt Queen
  16. Daily Prompt: Turn, Turn, Turn | Of Glass & Paper
  17. All the lovely colors | Spunky Wayfarer
  18. No Such Thing as a Cold Season | Daily Prompt: Turn, Turn, Turn | likereadingontrains
  19. Daily Prompt: Turn, Turn, Turn | Dianaruth’s Journal
  20. T’is the season … to appreciate everything awesome | Random Encounters of an Inquisitive Mind
  21. Daily Prompt: Turning of the Seasons | My Daily Prompt Blog
  22. Daily Prompt: Fall is definitely my favorite! | EMBRACE YOU
  23. Every Season Is Different | Angel Frouk
  24. Daily Prompt: Turn, Turn, Turn « Mama Bear Musings

57 thoughts on “And the Season Turns – What’s Your Favorite Season?

1. me too! Fall & Winter ~ and substitute hockey for all the other sports you mention.

Posted by Rutabaga the Mercenary Researcher | April 8, 2013, 10:45 am
  2. I hate almost all weather. Unless it’s like 70 degrees.

Posted by aliceatwonderland | April 8, 2013, 10:48 am
  3. I hate summer as well! Yuck!
    And you already know how much I love the snow…
    I like spring because my b-day is during this time and we get to open windows, but Fall is probably my number one right now.

Posted by GingerSnaap | April 8, 2013, 11:04 am
  4. I’m aspiring girl. And summer in New England is glorious. Not too hot not too cold. Like the porridge.

Posted by Elyse | April 8, 2013, 11:17 am
  5. I used to like autumn the most, but I think I like spring now. Summer = sweating like bastard and frizzy hair and that makes me cranky. So I agree, fuck you, summer.

Posted by La La | April 8, 2013, 11:18 am
  6. Right now, I would love any change in season since we live on a tropical island. I know, I know, to some that’s paradise! I do love the beach and warm weather, but this Jersey girl misses a change in seasons. I especially love fall because of football, and the leaves changing color, and football, and the weather is just right (not too hot, not too cold), and football! ;-)

Posted by littlemisswordy | April 8, 2013, 11:25 am
  7. I like spring, I was born in spring, of course there was snow, in April, but that’s Pennsylvania for you.
    I can make do with all the seasons, after all they all attack me the same.

Posted by Not Quite Alice | April 8, 2013, 11:27 am
  8. Definitely fall! The temperature is perfect, not too hot or too cold. Plus, the trees are gorgeous. I love fall. (Autumn if you’re fancy.)

Posted by Katie | April 8, 2013, 11:48 am
  9. I don’t like summer either. It’s so freaking hot! It burns to go out. I get terrified of getting in my car after parking it outside. My butt is on fire!
    I like fall (We don’t get fall over here, so whatever it is just before winter) . The weather is nice and I love the sound of the leaves crunching under my feet.

Posted by MissFourEyes | April 8, 2013, 11:55 am
  10. Fall is perfect until after halloween. The others are all about the same.

Posted by 1jaded1 | April 8, 2013, 1:27 pm
  11. Ugh. I loathe the heat.

Posted by twindaddy | April 8, 2013, 2:55 pm
  12. It’s cooling down here and starting to move into Autumn. I have to say that Autumn is my favourite season. I love watching the leaves change on the Japanese maples in my front garden. I love the cool nights and warm days.

Posted by stephrogers | April 8, 2013, 5:18 pm
  13. Spring and Autumn for me – things growing and it getting warmer, and then things going to sleep again and it getting a bit cooler.

I really don’t like being too cold, and I don’t like being too hot either.

Although yesterday, we had a snow flurry at lunchtime. That caused laughter at a meal that was supposed to be silent, which caused more laughter…

Posted by faithhopechocolate | April 9, 2013, 7:54 am

1. Pingback: Daily Prompt: Turn, Turn, Turn | My Atheist Blog - April 8, 2013

2. Pingback: A spring in my step | Pen Kisses Paper - April 8, 2013

3. Pingback: A man for all seasons. | paul scribbles - April 8, 2013

4. Pingback: Les Boise Lumineux, Idaho | The Jittery Goat - April 8, 2013

5. Pingback: Daily Prompt: Turn, Turn, Turn Spring Already! | Code For Confession - April 10, 2013