Hero of the Moment

Hero of the Moment: Michael Patterson

Michael Patterson – hero. (photo via Yahoo news)

If, like me, you’re disgusted by today’s celebrity-oriented society in which actors, athletes, and models or other celebrities are heroes simply because they’re famous, I have some refreshing news for you:  true heroism is not dead.  It’s just simply been ignored.

I want to share with you a heroic story, though the story ends tragically.

On June 8th, Michael Peterson, of Rome, Georgia, noticed a small girl having trouble staying afloat in a nearby creek.  Regardless of personal safety, he dove head-first into the creek to save her.  I’m not sure what, if any, part he had in rescuing the young girl, as neither article I’ve read really explains if he was able to help.  What happened, though the girl was saved and resuscitated, is Patterson broke his neck while diving into the creek.  His spinal cord was severed about half-way down his back, and he was left paralyzed from the chest down.

Amazingly, that was the second time in a two-week span Patterson had heroically saved another’s life.  Two weeks prior Patterson had helped pull a man from a truck which had caught fire after an accident.

Why am I bringing this to your attention?  Simple.  You don’t hear about news like this any more.  The media is always doing it’s best to strike fear into you or shamelessly beat to death any story that will upset you or demoralize you.  They are all about ratings.  There is no journalistic integrity any more.  At least, not from the major media outlets.  I no longer watch the news.  The news, at least here, is nothing but a recap of police reports from the night before.  A murder.  A robbery.  A fire.  A fatal car accident.  A rape.  Politics.  It’s ridiculous.  There’s good news to be had out there but they won’t report it because people don’t want to fucking see it.

My faith in humanity is not completely dead yet, in part due to people like Patterson, who are few and far between.  Sadly, Patterson succumbed to his injuries yesterday.  That does not diminish the fact that he was a heroic person and that stories like this should make the news.  We should all aspire to dive in head first to help a stranger.  This world could use more kindness and compassion of this type.  The world could use a lot more people like Mike Patterson.

Rest in peace, Michael.   You are truly a hero in my book.

Links

Man who became paralyzed after saving drowning girl dies at 43

Man paralyzed after diving into creek to save girl

Michael Patterson Facebook Page

33 thoughts on “Hero of the Moment: Michael Patterson

1. Well done Mike Patterson! Humanity will live on in his memory. You are right about the News. I’m starting to think people enjoy hearing the never ending negative stories because for some reason it makes them feel better about themselves. Hearing stories about heroes like Mike force people to be reminded about what they’er NOT doing in this world.

Posted by Life With The Top Down | June 29, 2013, 3:36 pm
  2. Rest in peace, Michael. My sympathies go to his family, who will I doubt miss him.

Thanks for letting me know about him. And you’re right. It makes me feel glad that there are people who risk everything to help someone else.

Posted by Elyse | June 29, 2013, 3:41 pm
  3. I’d much rather hear about the good in the world as well. I think if we had more good stuff, people would be more inspired to go out and do good things, rather than get depressed at all the negativity and get all apathetic.

Unless it’s a plot by the politicians to try to ensure that there’s a layer of apathy all over the world so that we don’t notice the corruption going on?

Ugh, I hope it’s not that.

Faith xx

Posted by faithhopechocolate | June 29, 2013, 4:41 pm
  4. Michael Patterson is a hero. He is of Scottish origin. To remember him as a hero, think of the music of bagpipes, a Swig of Scotch, and the song Auld Lang Syne.

Posted by V.E.G. | June 29, 2013, 4:43 pm
  5. I totally agree we need to hear more about these unsung hero’s. My hat’s off too Mike Patterson.

Posted by behindthemaskofabuse | June 29, 2013, 5:43 pm
  6. Beautiful share, my friend.
    Real heroes are the best.

Posted by The Hook | June 29, 2013, 5:48 pm
  7. Yes, he was a true hero. It’s very sad, and yet still moving. There are so many heroes among us who don’t shout out their names from street corners. During a recent Oklahoma tornado, teachers, without a thought, shielded their students with their own bodies. One of these huddled in a restroom with a group of students, her body over theirs, and gave a child her cell phone to text their parents. The texts didn’t go through and she knew they wouldn’t but they didn’t. It gave them comfort. At such a horrible time, she was still thinking of them. She said “Your children are our children.” Wow. That’s pretty amazing.

Don’t forget, twindaddy, you are also a hero to your children – yes, even the teens.

Posted by aliceatwonderland | June 29, 2013, 6:24 pm
  8. Beautiful and sad. I’d much rather get Jews from you. Fuck the mainstream media.

Posted by 1jaded1 | June 29, 2013, 7:17 pm
  9. What an inspiring person! Thanks for sharing this real hero’s story.

Posted by jack joseph's mom | June 29, 2013, 7:28 pm
  10. Well now I am all depressed again.

Posted by pouringmyartout | June 30, 2013, 12:36 am
  11. But in an uplifting sort of a way.

Posted by pouringmyartout | June 30, 2013, 12:36 am
  12. All the wonderful people like him seem to pass on. They must be too special for this Earth.

Posted by DaydreamsinWonderland | June 30, 2013, 4:13 pm
  13. I think and hope that people like Mr. Patterson aren’t as few and far between as we fear. But I agree with you whole heartedly that the media loves nothing more than to pounce on a good tragedy and run with it, flog it, beat it, bury it and dig it back up again. Maybe we should all make an effort to look for the good ones and share them.

Posted by dhonour | July 1, 2013, 4:16 pm
  14. I was at the creek when this incident occurred. What’s truly more sad than Mikes death is the complete fabrication of the story surrounding the incident. Mikes spine was probably severed when the four intoxicated men who.drug him out of the water hoisted (tossed) his body up onto a concrete pillar, about six feet up. The men would listen to no one telling them that a patient with a possible neck or spinal injury should not be moved. And yes, it was possible to stabilize him without endangering his life. I made an attempt but was quickly outvoted by the idiots with hero complexes of their own. This creek is not over your head deep. However, alcohol, egos and possibly drugs fueled the redneck rescue committee. As a witness to the event, I was shocked and appalled to hear that no one there was tested for drug or alcohol use. I actually pulled my two teenage boys away from the amateur rescue effort when I realized the level of belligerent behavior being exhibited by those dragging mikes body across the creek to the pillar. The smell of alcohol amongst all of them was overwhelming. This is a quiet, family place to go, one which is overrun on the weekends with drug addicts and drinkers. Since we had family in town, i thought i would give our local stereotypes the benefit of the doubt and take my family to share this wonderful, timeless place with them, despite it being a Saturday evening. Mistake, mistake. The mother of the girl supposedly drowning was there with at least six children under the age of seven. None of the children were wearing life jackets or flotation devices. This is also unheard of during the weekdays. The mother had to ask me to inform the 911 operator where we were located, as she had no idea. When I pulled my family away from the situation, she began screaming at us that we were not helping. Thank God, by that time, emergency personnel had begun to arrive. I do believe Mike had the best of intentions, however, I am unsure of the hero aspect of this story. In all, it was a situation that could have been so avoided.

Posted by Concerned Citizen | July 4, 2013, 4:49 am