Life

Another Instance of Who Can You Trust

Yah, it has been an epidemic around here.

This past weekend, I went to the doctor.  I never go to the doctor and to do so indicated a requirement to do so.  For privacy, and mad libs purposes, let’s just say I had my (body part) (verb, past tense)…and let’s pick colon scoped.  This is totally arbitrary and isn’t the point of  this post.  My grandpa survived colon cancer so I don’t feel bad picking those two options.  Besides, after having to pay what the insurance didn’t, I feel bufu’d, and my colon hurts.

I haven’t had my colon scoped in 9 years.  In the past couple of months, I’ve had symptoms that made me realize I should probably change that.  I was very apprehensive because I don’t know or trust anyone here.

In that spirit, I asked some guy crossing the street if he could recommend a doctor.  He was wearing purple shoes.  I continued my quest and asked some lady with lime green hair and fangs the same question.  Of course, her recommendation was totally different.  I didn’t expect anything less.  So, I flipped a coin.  The lady with fangs won.  Hey, when it comes to your colon, you can’t be too careful, right?

I went to the doctor.  On the referral section, I put Lady with lime green hair and fangs.  I didn’t know her name.  The doctor said, “Oh!  I know her well.  She is so nice”…Sweet!  My coin made the right choice.

The scope detected polyps, which will need to be addressed, with surgery, at some point in the future.  It confirmed my suspicion.  She told me that I was way too young to have this.  I explained that it ran in my family.  Oh well.  Then it came.

“Well, you know, the lady with the lime green hair and fangs…her mom also had this at a young age.”…The record scratched…No, I didn’t know.  No, I didn’t care to know.  I felt sick to my stomach.  It was probably an innocuous error in judgement, but it breached privacy.  I was so hoping that wouldn’t happen, but it did.  We finished up business, and I left.

Equally disturbing, were the reactions of a couple of people to whom I mentioned this.  Am I being way too sensitive?  Um no.  The condition of that lady’s colon is none of my business, even if her daughter referred me to the doctor.

/rant even though I’m still fuming about the entire situation.

About 1jaded1

Jaded in Detroit

33 thoughts on “Another Instance of Who Can You Trust

1. HIPAA? We don’t need no stinkin’ HIPAA!!

Posted by Twindaddy | August 12, 2013, 8:33 am
  2. First, I have to say thank you to TD for spelling HIPAA correctly.

Second, I hate that, though I see it more at the freaking pharmacy than the doctor’s office. Bedside/professional is important in that you shouldn’t be an asshole, but don’t go to the other extreme of being my buddy. I want my medical professionals to be, oh, what is that word? Professional.

Posted by NotAPunkRocker | August 12, 2013, 8:55 am
  3. Surely, your polyps were the convo of her family dinner later that evening.

Posted by Shackled and Crowned | August 12, 2013, 9:05 am
  4. It’s sad to see how many medical professionals ignore HIPAA. I’ve been to hospitals where my “confidential” exam was performed in a hallway and I was given dirty looks for asking to go to a private space… I would be bothered by that slip also.

Posted by Samantha Jane | August 12, 2013, 9:39 am
  5. Something similar happened to me in a bank once. I went into an office for a meeting, passing the last guy on his way out. ‘Do you need to change your name too?’ The bank clerk asked me. ‘Um, no?’ I replied confusedly. ‘Oh, that guy just changed his coz he just got out of jail.’ What the….confidentiality crisis?

Posted by Jayde-Ashe | August 12, 2013, 10:00 am
  6. Nice. And the man down the hall sat on his hamster. Man was that something! What? Oh, his name is Oscar.

Pfft, HIPAA

Posted by aliceatwonderland | August 12, 2013, 10:15 am
  7. I can understand and sympathize. Personally, I wouldn’t care if they put ColonCam photos on billboards. Now there’s a scary thought: the inside of my colon, forty feet high…

Posted by BrainRants | August 12, 2013, 10:54 am
  8. Strictly speaking, the doctor shouldn’t even be disclosing that the girl with green hair is “nice”.

Posted by List of X | August 12, 2013, 10:59 am
  9. Oh man, I hate that at the pharmacy, yelling across the room, “Mrs. Trololo! Your Xanax is ready!!”

Posted by complicatedwaltz | August 12, 2013, 1:14 pm
  10. As someone who often says things I shouldn’t have said, I should not take a stand on this one.

Posted by pouringmyartout | August 12, 2013, 1:21 pm
  11. Yeah – that is a big no no. Bye bye doctor.
    On a more serious note, my grandfather had this issue & he was really upset & fearing death. He did end up having the surgery. He’s outlived both of my parents and a good number of my friends. ;)

Posted by DaydreamsinWonderland | August 12, 2013, 1:50 pm
  12. On a side note – I’m glad you went to the doctor and didn’t ignore the symptoms!!

Posted by Polysyllabic Profundities | August 12, 2013, 2:33 pm
  13. I hope all the follow up stuff goes smoothly and without complications. Good job not ignoring the symptoms and proactively seeking out a doctor – but now, perhaps, you might be in the market for one a little more discreet about their patients? Eek!

Posted by djmatticus | August 12, 2013, 5:41 pm
  14. Recently I had a nurse accidentally call my parent’s #, which is my emergency, and tell my mom the results of my test before me… even after being told that she was talking to my mom, and not myself. I’m 29. Nearly. And married. And I hadn’t been told yet. Then, she waited to call me… so I actually found out about my results from my mom.

It was just a mistake in judgement, and in my case I would have told my mama first anyway… but still… now I feel like anyone could call in for details about my health.

So no, you totally didn’t overreact.

I hope that colon scoping went well. ;) And that everything works out for the best.

Posted by rarasaur | August 12, 2013, 9:17 pm
  15. It seems some people just don’t understand “patient confidentiality” any longer.

I’m glad you’ve gone and got it checked out and things are being sorted though. I don’t like the idea of a poorly Jaded.

Posted by faithhopechocolate | August 14, 2013, 3:41 pm