Random Thought Of The Day

RTotD: Mysteries

I read a lot.

That’s not a really a very big revelation. I read books, comic books, and, on occasion, other people’s blogs. While I like all of those things, I read books more than anything. There are many different kinds of books, but, after looking through my book collection,┬áthere are only a few genres that I read on a regular basis: fantasy fiction (D&D, LotR/ type books), sci-fi (That includes Star Wars, but I also count Michael Crichton in this category, as well), and mysteries (with Harlan Coben and Michael Connelly being my favorites in this category).

As I was looking through my mystery books, a thought occurred to me. I’ve read many mystery books. In some of them, the hero (or whoever is trying to solve the mystery) is a cop/law enforcement officer. Sometimes, it’s a regular person, though. Out of all of the books I’ve read, or even movies or TV shows, where a regular person is doing the mystery solving, I have yet to see any of them being sent to jail for obstruction of a police investigation. Sure, the cops in the books/movies/TV shows threaten them with it, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen/read them actually do it.

Let’s face it, if you or I started investigating crimes, the cops would have us in cuffs so fast it wouldn’t be funny. “But, Revis, if they threw the main character of the book/movie/TV show into prison, then the book/movie/TV show would be over.” True, but at least it would make it somewhat realistic.

I don’t know. Maybe I’m putting too much thought into it. What do you think dearest readers?

About Revis Edgewater

I'm Revis Edgewater, the world's only zombie killing rogue ninja. I'm also the First Knight of the Matticus Kingdom. I write stuph that's 33 grams of whatever I'm writing about.

14 thoughts on “RTotD: Mysteries

1. I read books like the rest of us breathe air.

Posted by BrainRants | August 17, 2013, 11:20 am
  2. Sci-fi and fantasy movies/TV shows and all books I don’t have a problem with taking for face value. The whole concept is a fictional world, even if there are some real elements in terms of location, etc., so anything goes.

My inability to suspend disbelief for action/thriller/mystery movies and TV shows is why my kid won’t watch them with me anymore. It’s like Detective Columbo watching “Columbo”, I have to pick it apart at the end.

It evens out though, he did the same thing with most of the “The Twilight Zone” to figure out the plot twists before the end of each show.

Posted by NotAPunkRocker | August 17, 2013, 11:26 am
    • Well, normally I don’t judge a mystery based on believability. I normally judge it on how much they (the author of the book or makers of the show/movie) get me to care about the outcome/ending and how far into the movie I figured out ‘whodunit’. If I figure it out before the halfway point, I dislike it. Of course, I also like to become invested in the story and characters.

Posted by Revis Edgewater | August 17, 2013, 12:45 pm
  3. I agree. Usually, the regular person is a female and the cop is male. The convo usually goes something like, “I could put you in jail for obstructing justice. Let’s make out instead.”….*gags*

Posted by 1jaded1 | August 17, 2013, 11:31 am
  4. I think that sometimes the law is a joke with a punchline that never comes. Arrrgh. Long story. As for the whole wandering why people in books never get arrested for meddling in a police investigation – just imagine if that actually wasn’t a law? You could have your entire family over for dinner and devise methods and a plan that will help find Aunty Janes killer.. That will be cool I reckon.
    Pretty sure this doesn’t answer your question. But then I was never good at answering questions anyway lol

Posted by theyoyoblogger | August 17, 2013, 1:06 pm
  5. Someone should investigate this mystery… and then write a book about it that will be made into a movie and a TV show.

Posted by pouringmyartout | August 17, 2013, 4:28 pm
  6. It does make it a bit unbelieveable when you have little old ladies helping solve crimes instead of handing over any evidence they find to the police…

Still, I do quite like reading (and watching) Agatha Christie’s novels and nothing much is going to change that!

Posted by faithhopechocolate | August 18, 2013, 9:30 am