Life

I Hate to Say This….

..but I’m about to generalize. I really don’t like doing that. In this case however, I feel like it might be justified. This is something that I started noticing when I started working at my job. So to explain, I’ll need to give you a basic description of what I do.

I work for a small company (less than 15 people total). We work in a building with a large company that manufactures factory car stereos (Or, in other words, the stereos that originally come in the cars). The company I work for does subcontract work for the large company, where we fix the car stereos they have that are still under warranty.

How it works is: a customer will bring their car back to the dealership to tell them that there is something wrong with their radio (which is usually because their child sticks loose change or various other objects into it). The dealership will then contact the manufacturing company to tell them they have a claim. Instead of immediately sending  back the broken radio for us to fix (and having the customer drive around for a long time with a gaping hole in their dashboard), the manufacturer will have us send the dealership a new, or already fixed, radio to replace the broken one. Once we send it, the dealership has 30 days (plus a little bit of extra time to account for shipping) to schedule a time to get together with the customer, replace the broken radio with the new radio, and send the old radio back for us to fix. We fix the radio, and the cycle begins again.

Simple enough, right?

That’s what I thought too.

So, here comes the generalization: People who work at car dealerships are all idiots. Ok, maybe not all the people at the dealership, but the people who work in the parts departments at car dealerships are all idiots.

Don’t believe me? Here are just a few examples:

• It says on the invoices that we send with the radios that they have 30 days to return the radios to us, or else they just bought the radio. They’ll send them back late (sometimes as much as 6 months after we shipped them), then get mad when we reject it.
  • The radios get shipped out in boxes that have foam sets in them. These foam sets are cut specifically to fit the radios. That means there’s only one way for the radios are supposed to fit inside the box. We will get them back crammed in, with the box bulging, or they cut the foam for the radio to fit the way they wanted to shove it in there.
  • Sometimes a customer doesn’t show up to get their radio switched (Hey, shit happens and maybe they couldn’t make time during the 30 day time limit). So, they’ll have to send us back the new radio. We can tell when they do this because the radio will still be in the bag, and even if it isn’t, it will have the same serial number as the one we sent. Either way, we’ll know that it was never used. They will still feel the need to write one, or two, or ten, notes stating that the radio was never used. One person sent in a two page story about why they sent it back unused. Oy vey.
  • Sometimes we won’t have the exact radio that the dealership orders. When this happens, we’ll wait until one of that model is fixed, or, if that model has a substitute, we’ll ship them the substitute model. When we substitute, it will say on the invoice that we sent them a substitute model. We will also put a separate piece of paper inside that says that it’s a substitute model approved my the manufacturer. Even with two papers saying that we substituted the radio, they’ll still send us back the radios with notes saying that the radio we sent wasn’t the one they ordered.

I could go on still, but I now have to get ready to go deal with these people some more. Working sucks…….

About Revis Edgewater

I'm Revis Edgewater, the world's only zombie killing rogue ninja. I'm also the First Knight of the Matticus Kingdom. I write stuph that's 33 grams of whatever I'm writing about.

44 thoughts on “I Hate to Say This….

1. Yeah, I think the generalizing was pretty justified in this stance.

Posted by CB | September 27, 2013, 9:20 am
  2. Generalise away my friend. Oy vey indeed…

Posted by wannabepoet | September 27, 2013, 9:22 am
  3. Generalizing… I could go off about generals… in general.

Posted by BrainRants | September 27, 2013, 9:43 am
  4. this is everywhere, my friend so generalize whichever way you want :D. Working in the service industry means the logical explanation that is cut and dry and blatantly obvious isn’t logical enough for the people on the other side…Sometimes i wish i had a dumb-it-down button so that I wouldn’t have to explain the same thing 5 times

Posted by poohbauer | September 27, 2013, 9:48 am
  5. My generalization is that most everyone is an idiot.

Posted by The Cutter | September 27, 2013, 10:00 am
  6. One thing to remember – it’s the fact that people, somewhere along the line. are idiots, is what gives job security to many of us in any kind of support.

Posted by El Guapo | September 27, 2013, 10:01 am
  7. I agree with Pooh and Cutter…. no matter what line of work, customers in general are idiots. Whoever coined the phrase “the customer is always right” never worked in customer service…

Posted by evilsquirrel13 | September 27, 2013, 10:18 am
  8. People… you can’t live with them, you can’t set them on fire.

Posted by pouringmyartout | September 27, 2013, 10:55 am
  9. I needed roof racks for my car before we went camping this summer. With the little prince now in the backseat, we couldn’t just cram all our gear in there, we needed to put some up top. I called the dealership parts department to get a quote and to ask what systems are compatible with the rails that came pre-installed on my car. They didn’t know… they work for the dealership where I bought the car, they work in the parts department, and they can’t tell me what parts work with my car… but, if I wanted to make an appointment and bring it in, they’d be happy to figure it out….
    I figured it out on my own, thank you very much.

Posted by djmatticus | September 27, 2013, 1:16 pm
  10. Not having a job sucks too.

Posted by behindthemaskofabuse | September 27, 2013, 2:01 pm
  11. TD,
    Stupid people are generally just lazy, agreed? I’ll be writing about my work soon, I know you will relate.
    Red

Posted by SocietyRed | September 27, 2013, 5:01 pm
  12. You’re preaching to the choir, Revis… but you do it well.

Posted by The Hook | September 28, 2013, 6:59 am
  13. You’re expecting too much of them. It’s not written anywhere that they need to use that mushy thing that resides between their ears. How should they know?

Posted by bardictale | September 28, 2013, 2:07 pm
  14. You might be surprised, but those people who work in the parts department probably think that you are the idiots for sending them the wrong radios and foam that doesn’t fit them.

Posted by List of X | September 28, 2013, 11:40 pm