Random Thought Of The Day

Random Thought of the Day: Stinky Medicine?

Hello, my name is Twindaddy and I’m medicated. I take Prozac on a daily basis. It is my ever-vigilant companion in my daily struggle with the depression demon. We fight the glorious fight together. Comrades in arms.

This past week I had to refill my sanity-in-a-bottle, and something is different. It’s the same medication, according to the label on the bottle, but the capsules are a different color and they…stink. Horribly. It’s an overwhelming stench which robs me of my breath every time I open the bottle.

stinky medicine

Mad paint skills. Alice will be jealous.

It’s a┬ánoisomeness I can’t readily identify. A powerful, chemical-like smell. Like if I opened the bottle near an open flame the fumes would catch fire. And then I think…these things that smell so foul are going into my body. What are these capsules made of? What am I ingesting? Will these things come back out of my body smelling just as awful?

I noticed your foul stench when I was brought on board.

I’m pretty sure it’s the same medicine as I haven’t been feeling any differently or noticed any new side-effects. So what’s in the capsules is absolutely Prozac, but the capsule shells have been changed. I have to hold my breath while I open the bottle and take a pill out otherwise my breath gets taken from me by the horrid aroma wafting harmfully from my sanity-bequeething bottle.

I realize I could just head on over to the Google machine to find out what capsules are made of, and I may do that eventually, but if I did that now I wouldn’t be writing this quasi-entertaining post featuring the most fabulous paint graphic ever created.

Audience Participation Time!

How about you, dearest reader? Have you ever wondered just what those capsule shells are made of? Do you wonder just what chemicals are contained therein? Have you ever opened a bottle of medicine and been slapped in the face by a stench so putrid that it almost knocked you on your ass? Inquiring minds (me) want to know.

53 thoughts on “Random Thought of the Day: Stinky Medicine?

1. It is my understanding that the outside portion of a capsule is comprised of gelatin. But I’m sure there are extra bits thrown in that I don’t know of specifically!

Posted by imsupersaiyan | October 12, 2013, 10:41 am
  2. Call the pharmacy. Now.

There may be an error. They may have switched generics. It could be harmless or it could be harmful.

SERIOUSLY, CALL YOUR PHARMACY. NOW.

Posted by Elyse | October 12, 2013, 10:51 am
  3. As a matter of fact, yes. Not too long ago, I finished an antibiotic that smelled like ass. It was so bad, I almost called the dentist and asked her if I really had to finish it. ICK.

Posted by 1jaded1 | October 12, 2013, 10:53 am
  4. I have to take this NAC supplement as required by my psychiatrist to flush out ammonia. Something with the Lithium I think. Anyway, it smells rancid. I hate it. But as a pharmacy technician, I do suggest you call the pharmacy. You can also compare the capsule to what’s printed on the bottle as it should have a serial number on it, sometimes a mix of letters and numbers.

Posted by CB | October 12, 2013, 11:03 am
  5. With my seasonal boughts of bronchitis, I run into this with antibiotics all the time. Sometimes I really do think they are giving me horse pills.

I think as long as the pharmacy told you to expect the pills to look different, you are fine. The kid’s meds have changed shape, mine changed color. Or you can just Google.

Posted by NotAPunkRocker | October 12, 2013, 11:36 am
  6. Smell…yes wondered….not till now..

Posted by behindthemaskofabuse | October 12, 2013, 11:55 am
  7. I take these tablets , multi-vitamins called Mavox and every time I pop one of those my nose shrivels up and dies.
    They coat these capsules to make them taste better actually. I guess they compromised on the smell this time. :D

Posted by shreyapunj | October 12, 2013, 12:15 pm
  8. That’s odd. Mine are a little white 40mg compressed pills that I cut into quarters myself. They have no odor.

Posted by goldfish | October 12, 2013, 12:42 pm
  9. well medicines do smell like ass….Specially the multi-vitamin medicines and you have to deal with it !

Posted by White Pearl | October 12, 2013, 1:25 pm
  10. How odd. Mine smell like nothing.

Posted by merbear74 | October 12, 2013, 2:31 pm
  11. That is the most awesome bottle I have ever seen. I’m jealous. Actually I really am jealous of how you got steady straight lines on that so WOOT.

My meds change sometimes too and I wonder if the medicine companies get bored and decide they want to change the color and smell (let’s go for putrid) or if maybe the pharmacists got bored and decided to play around with the meds for fun. Dunno. Deep thoughts.

Posted by aliceatwonderland | October 12, 2013, 3:15 pm
  12. Just for you I went and sniffed the prozac to see what it smells like (I haven’t used it in a year, hence the lack of memory of its smell). It doesn’t smell like anything, just that bleck plastic and medicine bottle smell and I can’t imagine I would forget if it had a noxious scent when I took it … I’d call the pharmacy, just to make sure.

Posted by C.K. Hope | October 12, 2013, 4:26 pm
  13. I have a pill I take that has a slightly funny smell to it, but it’s greatest attribute is that it’s so damn indigestible it passes through your body whole, perfectly whole. Freaked me out the first time I happened to, um… see it there….

Posted by evilsquirrel13 | October 12, 2013, 11:05 pm
  14. I started to sweat just thinking about that smell. Please call the pharmacy and let them know about that smell…that is not cool. Stop reading and call now or just head over and let them take a deep breath.

Posted by Life With The Top Down | October 13, 2013, 7:15 am
  15. Umm… back in the day I used to take a special medicine that was soaked into little squares of paper… and it tasted funny sometimes… but then I would see pretty colors… and there were these mushrooms that smelled horrible and tasted like feet and vomit… but then the colors would come back…

Posted by pouringmyartout | October 13, 2013, 1:19 pm
  16. I’m pretty sure all the prescription drugs I’ve taken over the years have always had a horrible smell to them. That was one of the reasons struggled to take them for as long as I did when I was younger – my parents would end up having to take them out and break them up into a glass of water for me so I could ingest the stuff that way. Gross. Sorry to hear that your previously unsmelly ones have become so. Hopefully the next batch won’t smell bad…
    Though, as others have said, it’s worth a phone call to the pharmecy, the doctor, or the manufacturer to make sure the smell isn’t something to be worried about.

Posted by djmatticus | October 15, 2013, 11:52 am
  17. I found this because I was searching because my newly-refilled monthly prescription for Acidophilus gel-cap pills smells bad this month, October 2013, like a chemical-perfume smell. Never smelled like this before. The odor is so strong I can’t force myself to take them. FYI – I’m in Berkshire county, Massachusetts.

Posted by Margreta Larson | October 20, 2013, 6:25 pm