Editorials

The correct response is, “You’re welcome…”

[Editor's Note: It's Friday, Maphia! I'd like to celebrate that fact by having a new guest grace this here weblog with her prose. Please welcome Sofia Leo, who has an opinion and isn't afraid to share it.

After you've learned from Sofia's wise words, please head on over to her blog, where she is blogging her way through the recovery of an abusive relationship. Please support her by clicking on the mystical follow button, and take this journey with her. She is an excellent writer, blogger, and person. Stop by and say hello, would you?]

Many thinks to Twindaddy for letting me blather on a bit about an annoying habit I see all too often these days on his totally unshitty blog. You rock, Twindaddy! [Editor's Note: Sigh, I know. I just can't help it.]

I don’t know how long it’s been going on, having been naval gazing for some years, but I am fed up with service workers responding to my “thank you” with “no problem.”

It goes like this: I order food, or buy something in a store, or make a transaction at the bank and when I thank them for their time and efforts (and I’m a good tipper!) instead of saying, “you’re welcome,” I get an airy, “no problem,” sometimes accompanied by a vague arm wave.

WTF is that supposed to mean? Of course it’s “no problem” – it’s Your Job! I am not troubling you for anything “extra,” not asking you to go above and beyond your job description, and certainly not causing a problem for you to wave off. Gaaaahhhhhhh!!!!

Imma gonna larn ya somthin’ here. I’ve worked in the service industry (I don’t at the moment, but we all know that could change in a heartbeat and I for one will stay in practice) and when a customer (or client if you prefer) thanks me for doing my job, I always reply, with a smile (no matter how douche-baggy they might have been acting) “you’re welcome!” If I thought they needed a smile or a kind word, I also add, “have a great day!”

Now, there is a proper place for “no problem,” and I’ll give you an example:

The Boss: Can you have this project wrapped up by lunch time?

Me: No problem.

See there? Easy, right? He’s asking if I can complete a task within a certain time frame and I am letting him know that I don’t anticipate any obstacles to completing the project on time.

Here’s where another response is appropriate:

Me: handing over ice cream cones, ringing up the order and making change for a customer.

Customer: This is delicious! Thank you.

Me: You’re welcome. Have a great day!

Was that so hard? I didn’t say “no problem” because it’s my fucking job to scoop ice cream, ring up the order and make change! It’s the whole reason I’m standing behind the counter in the first place. It’s the reason I collect a paycheck every Friday. It.is.my.job. It’s not a “problem.”

Maybe I’m just showing my age, but it really aggravates me to be treated so dismissively by young service workers in this way. Older ones, too, now that it has become so prevalent and we Old People are trying desperately to deny our age and be “hip.”

There’s a Big Town Hero sub shop next door to the office that I frequent a couple of times a week. A couple of about my age owns the shop and there are numerous young people who work there. Each and every one of the teenagers has been trained to say, “you’re welcome” and “enjoy the rest of your day” when they bring your order. They are unfailingly polite, well-groomed and pleasant. It makes me want to tip big and be kind. I never hear “no problem” in that shop and it is a refreshing change for the better.

It’s the little things, people! Pretend for just a moment that there are other people inhabiting this here planet and maybe they could use a little cheer as they go about their miserable lives. Put aside your own angst and do something kind. Be polite and proper. Be respectful. Show some pride in your work and your world.

And for the love of all that’s holy, wear a shirt that covers your boobs. The whole set. I don’t want to see your cleavage. I don’t want to see your cute bra. Ever. Really. Yeah, your boobs are great, but I’m not your target audience, ‘kay? (that never happens at the sub shop, but a little Ma & Pa convenience store down the street and it’s equally annoying as “no problem”))

43 thoughts on “The correct response is, “You’re welcome…”

1. I never thought of the “no problem” thing before, but now it’s going to bug me, too. Thanks, Sofia! ;)

Posted by goldfish | October 18, 2013, 12:18 pm
  2. This has never bugged me but now it will!!! Great piece, Sofia!

Posted by outlawmama | October 18, 2013, 12:29 pm
  3. Thank’s for hanging out here today, Sofia!

Posted by Twindaddy | October 18, 2013, 12:59 pm
  4. When I worked in service, I’d also throw in a “my pleasure” from time to time, just to break up the monotony…

Posted by El Guapo | October 18, 2013, 1:05 pm
    • It does get monotonous, but you have to have a good attitude and treat it as a learning experience – I saw some really weird shit that I never would have believed possible were I working somewhere else. It also reaffirmed my view that people suck.

Posted by Sofia Leo | October 18, 2013, 10:17 pm
  5. Good point Sofia! The word that gets to me with teens these days is “sweet” that just makes me cringe!! Thank you and have a nice day!

Posted by behindthemaskofabuse | October 18, 2013, 1:19 pm
  6. I think it is your optimism that impresses me most. You seem to think that just by wishing people in this country had a general grasp of the language they use every day, things might somehow get better. Or that humans are going to start developing better manners just because we want them to. Bless your little heart. Good post. Good luck.

Posted by pouringmyartout | October 18, 2013, 1:37 pm
  7. Guilty as charged. “No problem” is my standard comeback to thank you, whether I’m at work or anywhere else, and given my lack of communication skills with strangers, it’s an accomplishment in itself just to get that out, as I tend to be very antisocial…

I appreciate a good pet peeve rant though, and liked this one!

Posted by evilsquirrel13 | October 18, 2013, 1:41 pm
  8. This is why I eat at Chick Fil A 3 times a day, because their response to everything is “my pleasure.” I don’t know where they drummed up so many teenagers that get their kicks out of handing over extra polynesian sauce and picking up my straw wrappers.

Posted by Aussa Lorens | October 18, 2013, 3:24 pm
  9. Maybe that’s why I don’t eat out. No, I don’t eat out because I like my cooking better. Maybe that’s why I don’t shop. No, I don’t shop because I hate shopping. Ok, maybe it’s because I’m old and broke and set in my ways so I never hear “no problem”. Man, I need to get out more. ;-)
    Good post though.

Posted by JackieP | October 18, 2013, 5:40 pm
    • I don’t get out much, but I do love me a good sub sandwich. Lunch is the only Real Meal I eat all day, so I splurge and try to make sure it’s fairly healthy. I prefer my own cooking but I just haven’t had the time lately and the kitty is a menace where food is involved – he thinks he needs to eat like a German shepherd, which really pisses off the dog and makes cooking too irritating to bother with. That, and until recently it was just too darned hot to turn on the stove…

Posted by Sofia Leo | October 18, 2013, 10:55 pm
  10. Hooray for another argument for common sense, respect and courtesy! :-D
    It really shouldn’t be a problem. ;-)

Posted by djmatticus | October 18, 2013, 5:45 pm
    • It shouldn’t be a problem and I can’t help but think it’s not such a big issue in countries where children are taught respect for others from the time they are old enough to comprehend that there ARE others. Some times I feel so Old Fashioned when I think of how I raised my son to be respectful no matter what and to be polite to strangers and all of those other antiquated ideas…

Posted by Sofia Leo | October 18, 2013, 10:58 pm
  11. What about “no worries” — to mean, “There’s no need to worry yourself over a thank you.” ? Or is it translated the same?

Posted by rarasaur | October 18, 2013, 7:27 pm
  12. OMG,,,great post,,,I have never thought of that one so much but now that you posted that pet peeve,,,it is truly annoying.
    TD,,,I think you guys here on Stuphblog should have a once a week guest poster, post on something that annoys them!

Posted by overitblogdotcom | October 18, 2013, 7:46 pm
  13. This is great. I once replied “Nice, because I wouldn’t want to put you out by doing the job that earns you a paycheck.”. Look on face, priceless.

Posted by 1jaded1 | October 18, 2013, 9:51 pm
  14. Great work Sofia! That kind of thing bugs me too. Another type of service rudeness that gets me is when the cashiers talk over me to the cashier next to them. I dont care where you are going after work or how much you hate your job. Greet me, ring up my stuff(without making comments about what I am buying) and let’s all get on with our lives. Oh and now I want ice cream. Darnit!

Posted by desperationchronicles | October 20, 2013, 1:52 am