Editorials

Rant: Littering

During my commute to work this morning, I passed through a mowing zone. Workers were out and about this crisp autumn morn, bundled up in warm apparel and wearing their mandatory blaze-orange vests so they wouldn’t be hit by some unsuspecting motorist.

The scene I passed through befuddled me. We had our first frost last night, but that is not what confused me despite the fact that you shouldn’t cut grass after a frost. Or so I’ve been told.

What left me bewildered were a group of workers roaming the grass with trash bags collecting trash. Twindaddy, the trash needs to be picked up! Why does that confuse you, moron? Sigh. No, dearest reader, the fact that they’re cleaning up along our roads is indeed a service that needs to be performed and that is what befuddles me. In fact, it makes me angry. Irate. Intensely displeased. Dare I say livid? Yes, I am livid.

Why the ever-loving FUCK are people throwing trash out of their car windows? Is it really that difficult to hold on to your trash until you reach your destination so you can deposit it in a trash receptacle? Is it beyond the scope of your skill set to carry an empty can or bottle from your car to a waste basket? Is it a major inconvenience to have a small bag for garbage in your car, truck, or SUV so our roads don’t end up looking like a makeshift landfill?

This pisses me off. (Image via masslive.com)

Seriously, people. It’s not difficult. When I have trash in my car I put it in the door of my car (if it’s small enough) or in my passenger seat. When I reach my destination I grab the trash, take it with me, and deposit it into the first trash can I see. It’s not fucking rocket science. It’s not a major inconvenience. It doesn’t require any extra effort. Just grab it and go.

Lazy fucker. (image via telegraph.co.uk)

It annoys the piss out of me when I’m standing there admiring nature’s wonder and an empty plastic bag comes floating by. Or I look down and see a mountain of cigarette butts in the grass. Just because you don’t own the roads doesn’t give you the right to fuck them up. Keeping nature clean is everyone’s responsibility.

Seriously…what the fuck? (image via merlinandrebecca.blogspot.com)

Let’s look at this from a different perspective. Perhaps you don’t care about the environment. If you don’t, well, you’re a moron, but that’s neither here nor there. Taxpayer money is being spent to pick up your garbage if you’re one of those littering tools. Moneys that could be better used elsewhere are instead being spent to clean up after your lazy ass. Quit wasting my money you lazy, littering douchewaffles.

fuck you stormtrooper

Stop littering, assholes!

If you’re one of those sensible people who doesn’t toss your garbage out of your window, please disregard this post. I applaud you for taking your responsibility seriously. If you’re one of those lazy fuckers cluttering our roads with your junk. . .cut it the fuck out. The people mowing the grass along our roads shouldn’t have to scavenge for garbage before they mow.

86 thoughts on “Rant: Littering

1. People suck. Mollie’s high school is pretty clean, but back when Jessica went to another school nearby, the parking lot was full of trash. Because the kids new that it would be picked up. I wanted to have the school make all the kids with cars come in early every day and pick the trash up. I bet they would have stopped making it then.

Posted by pouringmyartout | October 22, 2013, 12:06 pm
  2. I can’t wrap my mind around how people can throw trash out like that– as you said, is it REALLY that hard to wait till you find a trash bin? And no one in this country can feign ignorance about the environmental impacts. You hear it from 2nd grade onward.

Posted by Aussa Lorens | October 22, 2013, 12:06 pm
  3. I agree. Now can you do something about my Hubby who likes to put his garbage in my purse?

Posted by behindthemaskofabuse | October 22, 2013, 12:07 pm
  4. You do know that those are the exact reasons why these…beings do what they do, right?
    I think adopting Singapore’s method of dealing with litter bugs is a good idea (and it saves your money. A bit).

Posted by bardictale | October 22, 2013, 12:12 pm
  5. I am befuddled myself..I never throw anything out of the windows.

Posted by merbear74 | October 22, 2013, 12:12 pm
  6. Yeah. Stupid people don’t use their own common sense to take care of Mother Earth! She wouldn’t be happy with that!
    We always have smallest trash can that fit enough in the car to throw away in it.
    Also, don’t people know that it’s against the law to littering??!!

Posted by Robert | October 22, 2013, 12:14 pm
  7. Disgusting and lazy. The kid volunteered on an Adopt-A-Highway stretch once. Out all day, working hard with his friends and you would have thought nothing had been picked up because there was so much trash layered up in the ditches and all.

Posted by NotAPunkRocker | October 22, 2013, 12:17 pm
  8. PREACH IT TWIN DADDY, PREACH IT.
    You have no idea how many times I rant about this to people…

Posted by imsupersaiyan | October 22, 2013, 12:26 pm
  9. seriously, people who litter are disgusting, disrespectful idiots. they are garbage. it’s one of my biggest peeves.

Posted by icescreammama | October 22, 2013, 12:46 pm
  10. Sounds like you just got here. Humainty, this is TwinDaddy. TwinDaddy, meet Humanity.
    People suck is an understatement.

Posted by El Guapo | October 22, 2013, 12:50 pm
  11. I was driving behind someone a week or two ago who appeared to be throwing post-it note after post-it note out her window. I kind of wanted to run her off the road.

My console is filled with receipts and wrappers. Sure my car looks junky, but I’d rather have a messy car than be an asshole.

Posted by Katie | October 22, 2013, 1:07 pm
  12. The other day I got into an argument with a “well educated” guy in here. He was eating sunflower seed (like a bird or a hamster) and throwing the shells on the ground. I don’t know that well to tell him “don’t be such a pig!” but I was really bothered by what he was doing. I asked “why don’t you keep the shells on your hand or put them back on the bag?”
    He said; “Oh, you are in Seville, here streets are cleaned and washed daily, people get paid to do that”
    Idiot! I thought.
    Then I said “Well, who cleans your house?”
    My grandma, he said.
    I bet she would knock your teeth out if you did the same at home, I said.
    He had no answer and what’s most important, stop throwing the shells on the ground.

Posted by Doggy's Style | October 22, 2013, 1:14 pm
  13. This is among one of my larger annoyances as well. I wish there was something we could do when we see people littering – like ram them with my truck consequences free – you know, something like that. Maybe less violent… maybe more violent.

Posted by djmatticus | October 22, 2013, 1:34 pm
  14. Right on. They need to restart the old campaigns — Litterbug, Beep-beep and the crying Indian. Let folks know it is socially unacceptable.

Posted by Elyse | October 22, 2013, 1:53 pm
  15. Seriously. Littering is ridiculous.

Posted by outlawmama | October 22, 2013, 2:16 pm
  16. I think the term Douchewaffles is quite apt. It floors me that people feel no sense of indecency when they casually toss their shit out the window.

Posted by Polysyllabic Profundities | October 22, 2013, 2:50 pm
  17. I’ve seen people at parks miss the trash can and start to walk away, I make them pick it up. Or try to anyhow, most people look at me like I’m psychotic. People make me nuts.

Posted by C.K. Hope | October 22, 2013, 4:54 pm
  18. We were at the park with C over the summer and some teenagers were drinking Sprites, and when they finished, the useless $%^$%^&s just tossed their spent bottles directly on the ground. They weren’t even 100 feet away from garbage cans. I can’t even. Texting while driving and littering are major pet peeves for me.too because they show such blatant disregard for the wellbeing of others’. In the wise words of George Costanza: “WE’RE TRYING TO HAVE A SOCIETY HERE!”

Posted by The Waiting | October 22, 2013, 8:54 pm
  19. I have an epic collection of cigarette boxes, dip cans, and… well, that’s it… in my backseat floorboard because I might not be able to plan ahead but I fuck will not toss it out the car. Now, apple cores, carrot bits and bad radishes – those are biodegradable, and very funny to see bounce off an oncoming driver’s windshield.

Posted by BrainRants | October 22, 2013, 9:19 pm
  20. Nasty Shit. The same can be said about public bathrooms…REALLY? DOES YOUR BATHROOM LOOK LIKE THIS? I would call them pigs, but that would be an insult to pigs…boo…

Posted by 1jaded1 | October 22, 2013, 11:53 pm
  21. Omg, I absolutely hate littering! Even for those people who don’t want to throw it out at the next stop – do what I do, leave it in the passenger seat ’til you can’t see it anymore, then massive clean the car! :)

Posted by GiggsMcGill Jill | October 23, 2013, 1:19 am
    • Right?? I mean, my youngest brother’s a slob, but at least all of his garbage stays in his car and quite literally piles up on EVERY floorboard. He doesn’t throw it out along the road and that’s what matters.

Posted by Twindaddy | October 23, 2013, 7:07 am
  22. I litter – IN MY CAR! I cannot stand littering, and in South Africa, it seems to be a hobby to some *sigh* but I totally agree 100% with your post.

Posted by wannabepoet | October 23, 2013, 3:24 am
  23. This is not as big a problem in Australia (but still is) we have a day every year called ‘Clean Up Australia Day’ where everyone is encouraged to get together as organised groups and go out to an area to pick up rubbish. McDonald’s stores send their staff out (paid) to help. They are a major sponsor of the day.

There is an Instagram app in the US where you can take a photo of trash, tag the location and the type (eg. Starbucks) it’s really interesting to check out the data.

Posted by Daile | October 23, 2013, 6:42 am
  24. Just this morning, while walking my dog, I noticed an unusual amount of trash on the sidewalk in front of someone’s home. Pigs! No, pigs shouldn’t be put into this group. Douchewaffles is perfect! How can they walk past this trash everyday and NOT bend to pick it up!? Lazy Douchewaffles….ugh.

Posted by Life With The Top Down | October 23, 2013, 8:03 am
  25. I keep the trash in my car. After 13 years, it’s getting pretty piled up in there…

No self-respecting municipal or county worker is going to pick up highway litter around here. That’s what we have community service prisoners for…

Posted by evilsquirrel13 | October 23, 2013, 10:27 am
  26. Reblogueó esto en arnaldootegi.

Posted by arnaldootegi | October 24, 2013, 7:34 am
  27. We have the same problem here in the UK. It shouldn’t be scary about how stupid people are, but it still is. Especially when you think that some of these people are breeding…

Posted by faithhopechocolate | October 30, 2013, 11:52 am