Editorials

Rant: Jealous Bloggers

Image via funlava.com

Jealousy is an ugly thing. It makes people do ugly things. It can cloak even the most gorgeous person in hideousness.

Recently a good blogger friend of mine has amassed quite a bit of success on her blog. She’s been Freshly Pressed multiple times. She’s won yearly awards from the likes of BlogHer and The Indie Chicks. She runs a WordPress Recommended blog. She’s a fabulous writer and an even better person. She can always be counted on to shine a positive light on even the darkest situation. She’s hilarious, kind, and happy.

Despite all of the success, all of the accolades, she has remained grounded. Her head has not swelled. She remains accessible to her readers. She still makes it around to read the blogs of those who follow her. Mostly. She still offers support and encouragement to those who need it. In short, she remains a loyal and great bloggy friend even though her blog has gone viral.

I am referring, of course, to Rarasaur. Or, as I affectionately refer to her, Rawra.

Lately, Rawra has received quite a negative backlash due to her success. I’m not privy to what a lot of this hate mail says. She only mentions the fact that she receives it and doesn’t really expound upon what they say, as is her way. She is not one for confrontation or to call people out.

I do know that after Rawra’s last Freshly Pressed post, some blogger sent an incredibly derogatory email to her, and published an inflammatory post,  Per Rawra, the post and subsequent email can be summed up thusly:

She wrote a post about the bureaucracy of it all (being Freshly Pressed), and sent an email informing me that my blog successes were because I flaunted my body, lived a shallow life, lied, and bribed.  She said I had no friends. Not really. I simply had people who wanted to ride the coattails of my manipulative search engine optimization.  She wished me a lonely life and went along her way.

Wow. Just wow. What the fuck?

This is ridiculous. Rawra only recently started showing pictures of herself on her blog, and none of them are revealing pictures. She certainly doesn’t live a shallow life; she lives a fulfilling one. She has a job she loves, a husband she adores, and friends who adore her. I know that because I am one of those friends who adore her. She’s also one of the most honest bloggers I know. The notion that she bribed her way into being Freshly Pressed is so ridiculous I can’t even find the proper words to articulate its absurdity.

This is just one example of the hate that has been creeping in behind the scenes of Rawra’s increasingly successful blog. It’s childish, petty, and juvenile. I understand envy. I get it. You want the success that she has. Hell, I want the success she has. Rawra, however, is a more talented writer than I and was gifted with boundless creativity. She can pump out post after post and almost every one of them is fit to be Freshly Pressed. Do I begrudge her these talents? Absolutely not. I cheer her on. I applaud each accolade she receives. I encourage her. I congratulate her.

To those haters sending her hate mail, leaving hostile comments she has to delete, and/or publishing accusatory posts in regards to her success, I’d first like to tell you this…

fuck you stormtrooper

Fuck you!

Secondly, instead of hating, ridiculing, and resenting Rawra, why don’t you instead attempt to learn from her? I have asked Rawra for her thoughts on my blog in the past. I have asked her what I could be doing better. And she graciously answered. Every single question. She then told me if I have future inquiries to ask again, which I’m going to take her up on soon. You’ve been warned, Rawra.

A fellow blogger buddy of mine has often said, in regards to petty, jealous bloggers, “The internet is big enough for everyone to be successful,” and I wholeheartedly agree. Instead of acting like a maligned 5-year old when a fellow blogger finds success, take that opportunity to notice what that particular blogger is doing and attempt to emulate it. Obviously that blogger is doing something that you’re not. Find out what it is. Most bloggers are genuinely nice people and will tell you what they’re doing to nourish their success. Rawra is one of those bloggers.

So, to sum up this rant, I’m going to finish with a flurry of words my dear Rawra would never, ever utter. Fuck you, haters! Fuck off and leave her the hell alone. She works hard for her success and lobbing hate grenades her way isn’t going to do anything to further the success of your blog. Quit acting like fucking children and act like the adults you resemble. Jealousy is hideous, and that’s what you haters are. Jealous bitches. Grow the fuck up.

Image via photobucket.com

228 thoughts on “Rant: Jealous Bloggers

1. I am in awe of Rara and not even sure how she does it. But she is awesomesauce, and wow there are some really nasty people in the world.

Posted by merbear74 | November 4, 2013, 11:30 am
  2. preach it brother

Posted by Robert Mudge | November 4, 2013, 11:30 am
  3. RAWR!!!! Yes, Twindaddy …. yes!

Posted by ardenrr | November 4, 2013, 11:33 am
  4. Love you, too, TD :) — and though I haven’t gone viral, or anything so grandiose, I appreciate everything you’ve said here. I always wanted a storm trooper for a big brother, and I knew I’d find one eventually. :D

I almost made a page using screenshots of the hate mail to collage it into a pretty little flower, or to cut out phrases and make poetry with it, haha… but I wasn’t sure on the legality of that. Plus, some come with unique writing styles and I didn’t want to call anyone out on what could have just been a really bad day.

The sad/funny thing is that it all seems centered around being Freshly Pressed even though I shared the results of my survey showing how almost all the followers you actually SEE on my blog came from recommendations, prompts, and blog awards. On the other side of the stats, almost all my hatemail (to the tune of 95%) comes from people who saw me on the FP board and popped over. It’s an honor, of course, but it’s not all roses… and all my favorite blogging things are generated from social things. I mean, you and Kozo have both sent more real (wonderful) people my way than FP ever did.

I’ve been up all morning after my cake binge, so this probably doesn’t make sense, so I’ll end it there, ha! :) Again…just… *hugs*

Posted by rarasaur | November 4, 2013, 11:37 am
  5. I read another Freshly Pressed post earlier this morning and the comments were riddled with jealous, myopic readers. It makes me sad (not to mention sick) how people are so blinded by selfishness they can’t celebrate the success of someone else.

Posted by A Sign Of Life | November 4, 2013, 11:37 am
  6. Preach it, daddy!

Posted by outlawmama | November 4, 2013, 11:39 am
  7. You can only afford to have these opinions because you have this big-ass successful blog and all these incredible followers who comment stuph, and people really like you and you’re funny and yet still manage to make people think so people take you seriously and I think all this is going to your head and making you forget about the little people who just want to be noticed now and then, Mr. Superstar too-big-for-his-britches… wait… what were we talking about? Oh yeah… jealous people suck…
    Now how can I find this Rawr person and latch onto their coattails like a freekin’ bedbug???

Posted by pouringmyartout | November 4, 2013, 11:41 am
  8. How the hell could anyone possibly Rara?? She’s bloody fantastic.

Some people just get off on causing trouble because she is better than them. She posted her numbers this morning .. and WOW!! Over 5,000 followers, so it obviously means that she is doing something right, and the tossers don’t like it just because they don’t get the recognition that Rara does.

Posted by Al | November 4, 2013, 11:42 am
  9. That’s what haters do – they just hate. Rara is awesome, and I recall that post and remember thinking, “Well, that’s just like her – slaughters ‘em with kindness.”

Awesome.

Posted by BrainRants | November 4, 2013, 11:44 am
    • That IS her. Kill ‘em with kindness. That’s not me, though. I’m nice..until I’m pissed.

Posted by Twindaddy | November 4, 2013, 11:53 am
    • I prefer not to kill anyone at all, Rants, ha! :D That post was about my number one nitpicker, but I didn’t really consider him “hate mail”… more… “annoyed mail”. The last burst of letters from others, however, can’t really be marked in any other way. Luckily, after this post, it’s all but forgotten. Love is in the air! *hugs*

Posted by rarasaur | November 5, 2013, 3:00 pm
  10. Jealous people. It’s a sad thing that they lash out to super lovely people, like Rara. Love her! If the jealous peeps just focused on themselves, they could have their own success. It doesn’t make sense in the end, huh? It’s just pathetic that they sit in their little rooms, typing up hate e-mails and comments. Awesome, awesome rant, CT.

Posted by TJLubrano | November 4, 2013, 11:46 am
  11. I just started following Rara’s site and her insight is nothing short of wonderful and inspiring. Twindaddy, the piece you wrote about her is so generous and lovely. You’re a great friend. Rara, go on with your bad self and keep doing what you do. I’ll keep reading it.

Eva

Posted by dentaleggs | November 4, 2013, 11:50 am
  12. This post is sad to me…
    How beautiful people are made to feel small for no reason in particular is beyond disgusting.
    I hope she does turn the hate mail into a beautifully poetic piece…and if she doesn’t want to I will!
    This post made me want to support her and defend her!
    Love my blogging community…

Posted by hastywords | November 4, 2013, 11:55 am
  13. Reblogged this on Parrots, Prose, and Poetry.

Posted by Annie Chace | November 4, 2013, 11:58 am
  14. You’re right on about this. So much so that I was motivated to go to her blog immediately and, after scrolling down a comment list of … I don’t know, 40 thousand comments? … offer my support and appreciation for what she does. Thanks for the post and the inspiration to rally around Rawr. I think we should make that into t-shirts…

Posted by Ned's Blog | November 4, 2013, 12:01 pm
  15. Rara is the full package. It is difficult to find bloggers who not only have massive writing chops and creativity out the wazoo, but who are also truly kind and helpful. The way she’s dealt with the hate that’s come her way is extremely admirable.

I’m kind of a Rarasaur fangirl, if you couldn’t tell.

Posted by The Waiting | November 4, 2013, 12:02 pm
  16. Can I dispose of them? Because this is…well, wrong on so many levels.

Posted by bardictale | November 4, 2013, 12:12 pm
  17. Reblogged this on nobodysreadingme and commented:
    A very very rare reblog about a talented compassionate and humane blogger who is under attack for no good reason at all. If any of my readers agree that the hate mail that Rara gets, well let me know. Then you WILL have a fight on your hands, trust me.
    I suppose it might be that somebody out there thinks I agreed to guestblog for Rarato hand onto the coat tails of her success. Again, do let me know if that’s what you believe, and we’ll have a discussion about the realities of life.

Posted by nobodysreadingme | November 4, 2013, 12:12 pm
  18. I’m fairly new to the WordPress environment, so reading this is somewhat disconcerting. I am an avid reader for the time being and follow her blog as well. I enjoy her writing and think it’s appalling that people even take the time to address her success like this. It’s creepy. I do have one question . . . are these bloggers followers of hers?

Posted by Pocahontas | November 4, 2013, 12:13 pm
    • I have no idea who these people even are, so I can’t say. I can honestly tell you that most people on WP are not like these haters, though I’ve ran into a couple of assholes. Overall, I highly recommend the WP community. They have been very supportive of me through one of the roughest patches in my life.

Posted by Twindaddy | November 4, 2013, 12:18 pm
      • It would be even more disturbing if these people are her actual followers. Unfollow an get the fuck on. Just strange. The reason I said it is disconcerting, is that I feel the same way about WP thus far. I have found much comfort (during a very difficult period as well) in some of the blogs I have followed over the last few months. I tend to shut down and disconnect when drama ensues. Just a bummer to read this.

Posted by Pocahontas | November 4, 2013, 12:34 pm
        • Sorry, to burst your bubble. Like I said, this is the exception, not the rule. This past year has been one of the most difficult in my life and I made it through with the help of some very awesome people here on WP.

Posted by Twindaddy | November 4, 2013, 12:37 pm
        • I love, love, love WordPress. It’s a sterling community and for every 1000 interactions I have, there’s been 1 bad experience. Maybe even 10,000 to 1. I think it’s partially just unavoidable, and I think partially all my hurrahing about stuff can rub people the wrong way. A lot of people see the world as a zero sum game, and that makes things stressful for themselves and everyone on their radar. Anyways, just wanted to say, don’t be disheartened– there are glorious, wonderful, amazing, inspiring people around these parts, everywhere I look. I mean– just look at this blog and the comments. Kindness shines!

Posted by rarasaur | November 5, 2013, 3:18 pm
  19. I wish there was a “love” option on these posts, because I would totally choose that over the “like” I just gave it.

Posted by NotAPunkRocker | November 4, 2013, 12:26 pm
  20. As Kat Von Dee once said (paraphrasing), you can be the juiciest, ripest, most delicious peach in the world but there are still going to be people out there who hate peaches. Rara’s a big girl, but it’s nice to see someone sticking up for her like this.

Posted by CB | November 4, 2013, 12:28 pm
  21. Troll and haters on internet a(nd especially in the blog sphere); they always seems to be anonymous when they are trolling….never revealing their real identity nor face…….I won´t exactly call it guts when they post trolly bully stuff to people behind their masks.

Posted by drosseldaisy | November 4, 2013, 12:29 pm
  22. It’s my lunch break and I don’t have enough time to come up with something that hasn’t been said yet. The disgusted part of me wants to ask you to toss up another storm trooper finger. The sad part of me shakes my head when we as people cannot celebrate the good works of others. So. To make up for those who can’t celebrate her goodness, skill, cheerfulness and class…..I will continue to celebrate her and appreciate her with fervor. I did this on my phone. Rarasaurus I dedicate my lunch to you!!! :)

Posted by Chatter Master | November 4, 2013, 12:30 pm
  23. Well said! Her blog is funny, entertaining and a joy to read, as though is yours! I wish I had half yours and her talents!

Posted by The Indecisive Eejit | November 4, 2013, 12:45 pm
  24. People are very bold when they get behind a computer and let their envy leak out through their fingers. Surely someone would never say those hateful things to her face, I am a victim of it myself…it’s very hurtful and cowardly. Rarasaurus has earned another follower in 5…4…3…2…

Posted by theworldaccordingtoscarp | November 4, 2013, 12:48 pm
  25. [ Smiles ] She is a fabulous blogger!

Posted by Renard Moreau | November 4, 2013, 12:55 pm
  26. I agree. Fuck the haters. Rara is wonderful. And if someone is stupid enough to not like her, well, they don’t have to. But what does being an asshole get you, asshole? Nada.

You’re a good friend, TwinDaddy. To me and Rara.

Posted by Elyse | November 4, 2013, 1:10 pm
  27. Well I’m surprised that someone could be so vile. Rarasaur comes across as a really nice, genuine person. Shame on whoever’s doing that.

Posted by darkangelrocks | November 4, 2013, 1:50 pm
  28. You tell ‘em, TD. Rara deserves all of her successes. I also received hate mail last time I was FP’d.

Posted by goldfish | November 4, 2013, 2:43 pm
    • Really? Fuck people.

Posted by Twindaddy | November 4, 2013, 2:46 pm
      • Every time I’ve been FP’d I’ve gotten negative comments. There is (or was–not sure if it still exists) a WP blog whose entire purpose was to dis each and every FP’d post. The second time I was FP’d, it posted a hateful post about mine. I was dumb enough to reply to it and I just got more vitriol. Now, I just ignore them all.

Posted by goldfish | November 4, 2013, 2:51 pm
        • Wow. Somebody has an ample allotment of free time with which they have nothing better to do. WTF?

Posted by Twindaddy | November 4, 2013, 2:55 pm
        • Oh that makes me cranky, Goldy! I don’t mind mine so much because I can (in all honesty) see how I’d annoy someone– even though my advice generally is “Don’t watch, then”– but YOU are fantastic. A great writer, honest, and deserving of nothing but kindness– and even if they ARE hurting, you’re nothing but welcoming and understanding to those who are. I think it’s probably best if you don’t tell me who needs to be fire-breathed and dino-stomped.

Posted by rarasaur | November 5, 2013, 3:28 pm
  29. I just don’t understand the kind of people that have to email hateful things – Rara is so freakin’ fabulous, and I loved her stuff from the get go….and didn’t even KNOW she was so famous until a bit later. The fact that she has said gracious things about me and my writing are precious to me, and it doesn’t matter if she was the best blogger with 1,000,000,000 followers, or a blogger with 1 follower – it’s what she says and how she feels and how she makes me feel that makes me come back again & again and again to her writing.

Posted by Rutabaga the Mercenary Researcher | November 4, 2013, 3:05 pm
  30. Yes. It’s sad that haters gonna to hate. I don’t hate other bloggers. I like this blog (Stupblog, Rarasaur and Fish of Gold, and also Harsh Reality).

They are just jealous that someone else do better than them. All you can do is be yourself. I’ve learned long time ago, if you try to be someone else, it won’t success. Because they are NOT you. You ARE you. The only way you can be successful is being yourself.

I am not trying to be somebody else on my blog. I am just me, myself. :)

Posted by Robert | November 4, 2013, 3:11 pm
  31. Seriously, I still can’t believe anyone could even come up with anything bad to say about Rara. Anyone with a half or even a quarter of a brain who has read even a single thing she’s written could see the care and time she puts into things. Rara works her Dino butt off on her blog and on creating community. She’s not just a beautiful writer, she’s a beautiful person.

Oh and I love this, TD. You tell ‘em.

Posted by C.K. Hope | November 4, 2013, 3:20 pm
  32. The fact that anyone could have anything mean to say to or about Rara or her amazing blog floors me. She’s a sweetheart and a genuinely talented, creative, and caring person. Envy is never an excuse to make up lies about someone to make you feel more secure.

Posted by Katie | November 4, 2013, 3:23 pm
  33. love me some rawr!! she’s fabulous. anyone who says otherwise, just doesn’t know her.

Posted by icescreammama | November 4, 2013, 4:24 pm
  34. i’m a relatively new blogger, and was intending to write about how kind the bloggers were on this site… this blog has made me think twice. It’s absolutely shocking how someone can be so jealous and bitter that they have to put another down. Unfortunately jealousy seems to be a common trait in humanity, and with fame comes necessary hate. Previously i had not heard of the blogging victim, but fully intend to look up her blog.
    Thank You for enlightening me about the true repulsive nature that exists inside some people.

Posted by Curlysblog | November 4, 2013, 5:01 pm
  35. Rawra is amazing! I’m saddened to hear that she has haters. :( Way to go TD for taking this stand, standing with you. Too the haters..controversy lead to more fame and success which I hope she gets!

Posted by behindthemaskofabuse | November 4, 2013, 5:28 pm
  36. I’m sitting at my computer giving you a massive round of applause TD. This was incredibly well said. It makes me angry and a bit sad that people will be so hateful and jealous toward someone’s well deserved success. I have also only ever had positive interactions with Rara – she has been encouraging and helpful and always up for a chat if you need. Much like yourself Twindaddy. The WordPress community is sometimes such a wonderful thing to be a part of but there is certainly an ugly side to it which is not cool at all.

Posted by Daile | November 4, 2013, 6:48 pm
  37. I can’t believe you have over 100 comments on this post. You obviously must have paid these people to like you. J/K of course kudos to you for sticking up for Rara, she is awesome for all the reasons you’ve said and more! (*^_^*)

Posted by Janelle Weibelzahl | November 4, 2013, 7:17 pm
  38. I read this on my break and spent the rest of my day FUMING. Rara is one of the calming blogs that I visit and her writing is excellent. She is a wonderful person and it shines through.

Fuck you hater/troll. Go back under your bridge. GAH!

Posted by 1jaded1 | November 4, 2013, 7:21 pm
  39. Brilliant! Well said and I couldn’t agree more. Rawra is awesome. I love her blog and on top of that she is a wonderful, kind and positive person. I always come away from her posts feeling uplifted and happy. Haters gonna hate. Rawra is beautiful.

Posted by stephrogers | November 4, 2013, 7:36 pm
  40. I would say we should track this person (or these people) down and give them the beating they so richly deserve, but, because she’s a much better person than I, she wouldn’t want me to do that. So, instead, I’ll say I hope that whoever is doing this to her gets a year of persistent crotch itch for every bad thing they’ve ever said about her.

Posted by Revis Edgewater | November 4, 2013, 8:13 pm
  41. That’s so terrible they wrote that… Now, I need you on my side in case someone does the same to me ;) But that would be more understandable than with it happening to her, haha.

Posted by Aussa Lorens | November 5, 2013, 1:07 am
  42. And here I thought that nasty, hateful rubbish like this only happened on Livejournal and its ilk; I am truly shocked that this could be happening on a writing site that drew me because of the calibre of so many of the writers.

I don’t really know how Rara found me, but I’m so very glad that she did (it was probably our mutual love of sci-fi, haha). Not many bloggers can cram fun, witty, educational, moving and sweet into just one blog entry, but Rara nails it every time. Remember her recent blog about when the universe gave her pickles? I laughed, I smiled, and then I cried; she painted such a beautiful picture of her childhood friend.

I’ve been a bit rubbish at reading blogs lately – or even writing mine (I broke my arm six weeks ago and have only recently been able to type with both hands without pain again), but I’m heading over to Rara’s right now to throw some extremely large amounts of support at her! And dinosaurs, because you can never have too many dinosaurs if you’re Rara :)

Posted by Missus Tribble | November 5, 2013, 4:22 am
  43. I have great appreciation for Rara and what she does with her blog.
    We first got in touch over a year ago, I won one of her doodles and I asked if she could draw someone else instead of me because it was this person’s bday.
    She not only drew the doodle for that other person but drew mine too.
    The internet is full of frustrated people too, even me, with a blog like mine receive hate emails I seriously can’t imagine the kind of shit really popular bloggers get.
    What’s really amazing to me, it’s people taking the time to write an email, I barely have the time (or the will power) to reply email from work.
    “Idle Hands Are The Devil’s Tools” Yeah, let’s blame it on Satan!

Posted by Doggy's Style | November 5, 2013, 11:14 am
  44. Damn… there aren’t a lot of blogs I read and follow that don’t get more traffic/comments/freshly presses than I have/get/won. I’d be one hatin’ mofo if I were as petty as some people are. Stupid fucks… I’ve only recently found Rara’s blog, but I agree she deserves all the love and accolades she receives…

Posted by evilsquirrel13 | November 5, 2013, 11:33 am
  45. Wow, I did not know about this. I’m missing quite a few “happenings” on wordpress, huh! Who would be so pea-brained as to indulge in this pettiness? There’s another saying a good friend of my told me way back when:

“Little kids throw stones only at trees that bear fruit.”

Posted by likeitiz | November 6, 2013, 4:21 pm
  46. I often find myself dismayed by the success of other writers, but I don’t hold their success against them.
    My failures lie at my feet. Period.
    Our friend, Rarasaur is to be congratulated for her efforts, not burned at the stake for them.

Posted by The Hook | November 9, 2013, 5:45 pm
  47. I think so many haters will hate online “because it’s only the internet”. It doesn’t take much to look at the people who hide behind a persona to bully others – the number of teens who’ve killed themselves because of online bullying in the last couple of years is disgusting. And these people won’t be ashamed of themselves because they sadly have no shame, they have no empathy, and they think “it’s only the internet”, as though it’s something completely unimportant and it doesn’t matter.

Posted by faithhopechocolate | November 11, 2013, 10:53 am
  48. I wasn’t aware that stuff was going on over in Rawraville (because I’m typically behind on EVERYTHING), but that’s a load a bull balls. I’ve often said about people who get so inflammatory about stupid stuff that it must be really hard for them to simply exist…because it can’t be a happy existence. There are enough things in this world to get upset over besides another blogger’s success…even if it’s a blogger you don’t like. Which I’m not sure how anyone could have ill feelings toward Rara or her blog…indifference at the MOST. But it’s such a happy place over there. That person who dissed her must also hate puppies and bacon and the smell of fresh laundry. I also recently read a great post on Sass and Balderdash where she talks a bit about jealousy of other writers, and she made the great point that someone else’s success is not a reflection on your own, or means it can never happen to you. There is absolutely no correlation.

Basically, that was my really long-winded way of saying this a very rightful rant. Nice job!

Posted by AreYouFinishedYet | November 24, 2013, 4:17 pm
  49. Gah, still love this one, had to come back for a second read after John linked it.

Posted by Aussa Lorens | January 6, 2014, 5:41 pm
  50. I knew Rara had haters but no idea they’d go through that much trouble. She’s my blog buddy too & this pisses me off. How can you not love her? Can’t they tell she is genuinely kind & warm-hearted to everyone?!
    Screw that person, whoever they are. Rara, if you’re reading, you know I love you. I’m over here sticking up my middle finger with TwinDaddy towards your haters. Keep shining, girl!

Posted by DaydreamsInWonderland | January 10, 2014, 4:22 pm
  51. Very well said man. I’ve only recently started checking Rara out but it’s really nice to see someone having her back like this.

Just yesterday I read a post by another blogger (Jess Mittens?) who had experienced a similar thing; being hassled for getting Freshly Pressed?! It’s bullshit man. Like you said; instead of getting bent up about it, try to learn from it… Dicks!

Anyway, that’s my two cents. I’ve been reading (and enjoying) your blog for a while now man but never felt comfortable leaving comments in the past as there seems to be quite a community vibe going on and I didn’t want to intrude. Thankfully I’ve gotten over that nonsense.

Keep up the entertaining work. Lovely touch on the swearing storm trooper.

Posted by Sean Smithson | January 25, 2014, 6:25 am