Life

A Stupid Question

Despite what your teachers told you when you were younger, there is, in fact, such a thing as a stupid question. Most, if not all, of us hear at least one of them a day. Unfortunately, they are something that we have to deal with, no matter how much we might wish otherwise.

If you don’t believe me, go and listen to one of Bill Engvall’s Here’s Your Sign bits. Sure, some of those might be made up for comedic effect, but, something tells me, most of them aren’t.

Need further proof? Here’s one that’s happened to me. The question is so stupid, I was surprised I got it once. Imagine my surprise when I got it a second time.

Some of you might remember my Newb stories. I could tell you who he is, but I think I’d rather just put a link in here and make you go read my older posts (I’m an evil genius! MWAHAHAHA!). By the time Baby E was six months old, it had been close to a year since I had last seen Newb. One day, while out grocery shopping with my family, we ran into him. After saying our hellos, he proceeded with the stupidity.

“Is that your baby,” he asked, pointing at Baby E.

I was very tempted to say something Bill Engvall-like at this point. “Nope. We figured we’d go ahead and get her since she’s on sale this week. Here’s your sign.”

Instead, I simply told him yes, while Mrs. Revis was giving me a, “Is this guy actually serious?” look. I made up an excuse for why we couldn’t talk longer and we got out of there. At the time, I just put the stupid question down to the fact that Newb isn’t very bright and then kind of forgot about it.

Jump ahead to one of my current coworkers. This guy doesn’t have a history of saying stupid things like Newb does. Once again, it happened while we were out grocery shopping. I saw him a little bit further up the aisle, so, while Mrs. Revis was looking at something, I pushed the cart over to him so I could say hello. When I got there, I told Baby E to say hello too, but she just stared at him blankly. That’s when he hit me with the stupidity.

“That your kid?”

I had to hold in my inner Bill Engvall a second time. “Nope. That’s a diaper coupon. They just made it life-size.┬áHere’s your sign.”

Now, if they didn’t know I had a daughter, this wouldn’t be a stupid question. Both of them knew, though. Seriously, who else would it be? Did they think I grabbed a random kid out of someone else’s cart and started walking around with them? Idiots….

About Revis Edgewater

I'm Revis Edgewater, the world's only zombie killing rogue ninja. I'm also the First Knight of the Matticus Kingdom. I write stuph that's 33 grams of whatever I'm writing about.

19 thoughts on “A Stupid Question

1. umm… some people go out with other people’s babies or kids… maybe a relative or friend. I do that all the time. I am just saying that the question could make sense in some instances. I think the main thing to remember is that for every stupid question there are a million stupid answers… or something…

Posted by pouringmyartout | November 6, 2013, 10:06 pm
  2. Lol, this reminds me of when i was in Target, with my nephew. An acquaintance of mine saw us and remarked that she didn’t know i had a kid. My nephew in all his smartholioness says, “She doesn’t, I get paid by the hour.”

Posted by 1jaded1 | November 7, 2013, 12:34 am
  3. i think that sometimes people may not know what to say, so they’ll ask a “stupid” question as a conversation starter. i don’t mind people asking “stupid” questions, or “captain obvious” questions, however, i rather dislike when people ask rude questions.

Posted by her {of her uncaged words} | November 7, 2013, 3:19 am
  4. I suspect that your kid is way cuter than you, hence the confusion.

Also, dear professor, why does my cat’s breath smell like cat food?

Posted by Trent Lewin | November 7, 2013, 6:43 am
  5. Everyone has their own Newb. You’re blessed with two it seems.

Posted by BrainRants | November 7, 2013, 6:49 am
  6. Still doesn’t beat everyone asking me if the twins are twins. Nope, had one and decided to have him cloned. Here’s your sign…

Posted by Twindaddy | November 7, 2013, 7:03 am
  7. Ha yeah no it’s rent-a-baby, moron. Funny.

Posted by aliceatwonderland | November 7, 2013, 10:04 am
  8. Well, duh. Doesn’t everybody do that?

Posted by bardictale | November 7, 2013, 10:41 am
  9. When the Queen and I get those questions about the Little Prince we don’t hold back our snide comments: “No, we just picked him up off the street on the way in.” “He’s a loaner.” “Holy crap, where did he come from?!” “Some guy on the corner paid us to watch him for a few minutes.” etc…

Posted by djmatticus | November 7, 2013, 11:34 am
  10. I have to say, I’m with the Jester on this. “Kid, what kid, OH MY GOD what is that KID doing there??!!!” sort of replies could be incredibly funny.

Posted by faithhopechocolate | November 13, 2013, 2:35 pm