Life, Stuph

Growing Up

I haven’t been a parent very long (a little over 16 months). In that time, I’ve noticed that one of the best things is watching your child grow up right before your eyes. It seems like not that long ago, Baby E did nothing more than sleep, eat, cry, and poop (Yes, girls poop. Deny it all you want, Zoe, but it’s true). Now, she does her own little things and has her own personality.

She’s also talking more now. She’s got ‘mama’ and ‘dada’ down pretty well. Although, she says ‘mama’ a lot more, even sometimes when she’s calling out for me. Other words are slowly making their way into her vocabulary. ‘Ball’ is a word she is able to say frequently. She’s even come close to ‘Mickey’ a number of times whenever the show comes on the TV.

Baby E has started comprehending the need to ask for things. Not being able to speak hasn’t stopped her. It used to be that, when her bottle was empty and she wanted more, she’d just cry until one of us filled it for her. Now, she’ll bring her empty bottle to me, put it in my hand, then walk over and stand in front of the baby gate that we have dividing the kitchen from the living room.

The first time she did this, I just had to laugh. I let the next few go by before trying something out. When she handed me her bottle again, I stayed sitting on the couch. Baby E waited for about 10 seconds, walked back over to me, grabbed the bottle out of my hand, put the bottle back in my hand, and then walked back over to the gate (while doing some whiny baby talk). It was adorable. Granted, I’d find this behavior a lot cuter if she did this to Mrs. Revis, too. Apparently, however, I’m the only one she wants making her bottle, because, as of this writing, she has yet to to this to my wife (Which, of course, Mrs. Revis finds to be incredibly humorous).

She also has a new game that she likes to play. It’s called “Getting In Trouble”.

What she’ll do is climb on something she’s not supposed to, or try to get at something she’s not supposed to, then wait for either me or Mrs. Revis to yell at her for it. Once we have done that, she’ll look at whichever one of us yelled at her, to make sure they’re watching, and then she’ll start doing what got her yelled at again. This time, however, she’ll do it without breaking eye contact from you. She will continue to do this until one of us gets up to stop her. Then, she’ll giggle with glee as she runs away, making us chase her.

Hearing her laugh like that is one of the greatest things ever. It’s not enough to keep her out of trouble (she’ll get some of her toys taken away, or get put into her pack-and-play for a little while), but it’s still one of the greatest things ever.

I just can’t wait to see what she comes up with next.

About Revis Edgewater

I'm Revis Edgewater, the world's only zombie killing rogue ninja. I'm also the First Knight of the Matticus Kingdom. I write stuph that's 33 grams of whatever I'm writing about.

24 thoughts on “Growing Up

1. She sounds to adorable to poop. Girls just don’t!

Posted by behindthemaskofabuse | November 13, 2013, 4:48 pm
  2. Awww! Now I’m missing my kids toddler years!

Posted by C.K. Hope | November 13, 2013, 4:50 pm
  3. So cute!! Haha at let’s get in trouble.

Posted by 1jaded1 | November 13, 2013, 8:30 pm
  4. Awwww,,I remember those days fondly.
    Next comes the times when you have to watch her make her own mistakes and learn by them (when she gets more older of course).
    Then you once again get to see her learn and excel out in the real world!
    Enjoy her and give a hug for me :)

Posted by overitblogdotcom | November 13, 2013, 9:39 pm
  5. So sweet! I love that age. :)

Posted by rarasaur | November 14, 2013, 3:44 am
  6. Awwww she sounds so adorable, i can tell you love her alot and that she means alot to you. :)

Posted by ebony14 | November 14, 2013, 8:06 am
  7. Ha… totally nailed Zoe… poop denier! I miss my house-daddy days when the kids were small… man, we had fun.

Posted by pouringmyartout | November 14, 2013, 11:18 am
  8. My son is 18 months and it always amazes me the things he learns daily! They are definitely cute little trouble-makers!

Posted by From Casinos to Castles | November 14, 2013, 11:45 am
  9. Kids are so clever. I’m glad for you that you’re there to see it all!

Posted by faithhopechocolate | November 15, 2013, 7:16 am
  10. You are in such trouble, Revis ….

Posted by Elyse | November 15, 2013, 8:52 pm