Current Events, Editorials, News

The Knock Out Game?

I don’t often watch the news. Every time I do a story will inevitably run which further drains my hope in humanity. I have no tolerance for the political shitstorm in which this country is currently embroiled; it’s all posturing by politicians pandering to their respective extremist parties. Even worse than the political bullshit is the unending violence. Violence is everywhere. Watching the local news is like watching real-life snippets of Law and Order. You get five minutes of weather and traffic and then 25 minutes of murders, robberies, and other violent acts.

These are their stories…

Unfortunately, someone posted a link on Facebook to story slightly more disturbing than the usual fare, and I was unable to avoid it.Evidently there’s a new “game” afoot in the US. A game in which everyone involved is a loser. It’s called the Knockout Game. Here’s how you play. You nonchalantly walk down the street and as you’re passing some complete stranger by you unleash an unsuspecting and furious haymaker on your fellow citizen with the goal being to knock them unconscious with one punch. Your target doesn’t matter: man, woman, young, old, black, white….it makes no difference.

Doesn’t that sound fun?

The look of when someone recognises blatant st...

No, no it doesn’t (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

I already have a pretty low opinion of humanity, but news of this game came as a shock to me. I mean, what do you gain by sucker-punching a complete stranger into unconsciousness? Does it prove your badassery to knock out someone who doesn’t even know they’re under attack? Do you get promoted to Lord of the Losers if you accomplish this asinine goal? Do you get a ribbon? A metal? Does your mommy put a “I’m the proud parent of an asshole!” bumper sticker on her car?

These senseless attacks have left a trail of victims across six states. The age range of these victims appears to be (based on a quick perusal of the internet) 24 to 78. Yes, 78. Somebody sucker-punched, and knocked out, a 78-year old woman. Classy. These “games” have resulted in at least 3 deaths, as well. Teenage boys are being charged with murder after their attacks killed their victims.

Per the article I read on ABC:

Republican state Assemblyman Jim Tedisco has proposed a bill that would classify the knockout game attacks as gang assaults, and would require that youths who participate in such attacks be tried as adults, facing prison terms of up to 25 years.

I don’t often agree with a Republican, but I’m on board with Jim Tedisco here. This idiotic “game” is inhumane, senseless, barbaric, and a host of other adjectives I just don’t have the patience to list here. Just thinking about this after seeing the footage of a couple of the attacks has left me sick to my stomach.

Throw the book at these morons. I don’t care if they’re 13 or 30. There is no place in society for this type of behavior.13-year old boys know it’s wrong to just clock somebody like that. People need to know this will not be tolerated.

The latest perpetrator of one of these attacks is being charged with a hate-crime. Good. I hope he receives the maximum punishment. I’m so angry and disgusted right now that I can barely form a coherent sentence. Fuck anyone who has ever participated in one of these vile attacks.

Link: ‘Knockout Game’ Suspect Charged With Hate Crime – ABC News.

Nano Pablano
BlogHer's NaBloPoMo BlogHer's NaBloPoMo @Yeah Write

75 thoughts on “The Knock Out Game?

1. I think the more they blow this up in the media, the more “cooler” to people who would participate in that shit it will be. That’s just my opinion though.

Posted by CB | November 27, 2013, 9:39 am
  2. There was a craze in the UK a few years ago, Happy Slapping – using their camera phones, people would film their friends just going up and slapping unsuspecting members of the public. It was another example of the utter inanity and pathetic low-life-ness of so many people in this world. This post, and it’s subject, scares me because I have a son, and he would not be the sort of person to take part in something like this, but to be a victim some unsuspecting time… makes my blood run cold. Some parts of this species can be f*cking atrocious.

Posted by Simon | November 27, 2013, 9:42 am
  3. I mean, I understand that kids are stupid and will do stupid things. But this “game” really makes me think we may be failing as a society.

Posted by The Cutter | November 27, 2013, 9:51 am
  4. It does scare me that there is any thinking human being who believes this is “fun” or something to do just for the hell of it. I appreciate this post and could feel word for word what you meant. It is a crime and it should not be tolerated or excused in any way what so ever.

Posted by Chatter Master | November 27, 2013, 10:09 am
  5. Yes. This is why I avoid the news like the plague. I figure if a major story comes up, I will not be able to avoid it. It will show up somewhere. And yes, this is nuts but doesn’t surprise me that much. The only really surprising thing is that they’re hitting just anyone rather than targeting a specific group. Equality in violence? Yay we’ve come so far . . .

I keep telling myself to avoid comment sections and reviews as well, but do I listen? Noooo.

Posted by aliceatwonderland | November 27, 2013, 10:10 am
  6. TD, this has been going on for several years now and is as revolting as you describe it. We had a Vietnamese man older than 78 killed after he was punched out by some barbarian, but I think they decided it was a robbery instead of just a part of this game. The judicial system is a joke. These thugs aren’t afraid of doing anything because they won’t get any time until they’ve been caught doing something several times. You’d have a better chance of going to prison by getting pulled over for DUI than for randomly assaulting a stranger on the street like this. It’s absurd.

Posted by donofalltrades | November 27, 2013, 10:13 am
    • I was curious to see what you’d have to say about this and this is disappointing. Until we start actually punishing criminals in this country crime will not falter. Sitting in a jail cell is not an adequate deterrent for most of these people.

Posted by Twindaddy | November 27, 2013, 10:22 am
  7. What in the actual fuck? The fact that anyone would even think of doing something like this just boggles my mind. There’s something wrong with people.

Posted by Katie | November 27, 2013, 10:14 am
  8. This infuriates me toi. Also, it scares me. I have had 2 brain surgeries and cspine surgery. I know many others out there who have had the same types of surgeries and illnesses. If someone was to hit one of us, even with little force… that would be it for us. Paralyzation at the very least…

Posted by addercatter | November 27, 2013, 10:27 am
  9. Strange timing. A friend of mine posted a link today that suggests that this trend, while serious, may also be overplayed by the media in terms of its prevalence. Imagine that.

(currently watching “breaking news” over POTENTIAL sleet)

Posted by NotAPunkRocker | November 27, 2013, 10:48 am
  10. What is wrong with these people?! What’s the thinking here? “Yay, let’s go randomly hit people! It’ll be so rad!” Ugh. This is why I don’t watch the news either. I need a hug, SS.

Posted by MissFourEyes | November 27, 2013, 10:52 am
  11. Sounds like a ridiculous game.

Posted by Krishnan P Nair | November 27, 2013, 11:04 am
  12. Are kids really that bored?

Posted by The Hook | November 27, 2013, 11:50 am
  13. The kids in my neighborhood have played this game for a long time. A few years back, we even had a group of kids that formed a gang called the CNOS gang. Crack a N***** On Sight. These were 10 and 12 yr olds that were basically playing a version of the Knock out game. I’m just floored that these things happen and become a trend. I also find it sick and disturbing.

Posted by whiteladyinthehood | November 27, 2013, 12:37 pm
  14. Heinous and infuriating, but not surprising at all. It has been going on for a long time. Last year, the Chicago area had instances where fucking assholes thought it would be fun to thump random people, just because.

Posted by 1jaded1 | November 27, 2013, 2:08 pm
  15. I don’t think I could even watch said video. Sometimes I wonder if there isn’t something to be said for public humiliation…

Posted by behindthemaskofabuse | November 27, 2013, 3:27 pm
  16. Sometimes I hate people.

Posted by pouringmyartout | November 27, 2013, 7:09 pm
  17. OMG that’s horrifying!

Posted by stephrogers | November 27, 2013, 8:05 pm
  18. Disturbing, to say the least. These things always are. I also believe the media does play a roll in not only blowing it up, but passing the torch, so to speak. Screw both ends of the spectrum.

Posted by Pocahontas | November 27, 2013, 11:36 pm
  19. I’ve seen conservative blogs making big deal of the fact that these incidents happened in urban areas that voted for Obama. Well, yeah, but where do you see pedestrians in the rural areas?

Posted by List of X | November 28, 2013, 1:29 am
  20. It’s happening here in Philly and it is very disturbing. It happened to a school teacher here this week and the attacker was 15! 15 years old! He did it for 5 dollars. The concept of almost killing someone for 5 dollars truly leaves me speechless.

Posted by Life With The Top Down | November 28, 2013, 7:20 am
  21. Nothing random about victim selection. No punk would try knocking me out, because they probably couldn’t, and then I’d wreck them. Point being, this is deliberate and predatory. And sick. The fucktards are welcome to visit my basement.

Posted by BrainRants | November 28, 2013, 8:38 am