Life

On This Date, Fourteen Years Ago…

A Long Time Ago...

Fourteen years. It has been fourteen years since I became Twindaddy. On a cold autumn day in December of 1999, I became the father of the cutest set of twins in history.

Life has been a whirlwind of tumult since that day. I’ve since gotten divorced, married, and divorced again. We’ve moved more times than I like to admit or can even fathom. They had to go through counseling to help deal with the divorce. They had to go through sexual abuse education after their sister was molested. They watched helplessly as their oldest brother had the police called on him countless times due to his psychotic behavior. They watched through the front door as their mother punched, kicked, and verbally abused me in the front yard numerous times after I left her.

Despite all the shit they’ve been through, they have turned into fine young men. They are courteous and caring. They are helpful and funny. They are intelligent and well-mannered. They adapt well to any given situation.

In short, they are young men I am very proud of. Of course there are times they drive me nuts, but I wouldn’t have it any other way. I enjoy spending time with them. We still wrestle around and play video games and watch movies together. I wish I could spend more time with them than I’m able to.

I look forward to seeing the men they will become, while at the same time missing the times when they were young. I miss playing with them when they were younger. I miss how they used to tell me bedtime stories. I miss how they used to cuddle with me while we watched a movie. I miss how they used to beg me to watch Jurassic Park and then scream for me to turn it off when the T-Rex came on to the screen. I miss their Bob the Builder obsession and how they’d call out the names of Bob’s friends when we passed construction equipment.

Tyrannosaurus Rex model in Bałtów Jurassic Par...

OMG! Turn it off! I’m scared! (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Fourteen years. I don’t know where the time has gone. It’s like I blinked and years passed by.

Da twinz at 2 months

Three months old.

Happy birthday, boys. I love you. Always.

Check it out! I have a poem I wrote years ago featured on wePoets Show It today!

77 thoughts on “On This Date, Fourteen Years Ago…

1. Happy Birthday to your boys. May they have many more years of turning your hair grey.

Posted by 1jaded1 | December 3, 2013, 7:10 am
  2. They turned out so well because of you.

Posted by merbear74 | December 3, 2013, 7:13 am
  3. Happy birthday to two wonderful boys who are so well loved. They prove that love can conquer a whole lot of crap. You’re a good and a lucky Dad.

Posted by Elyse | December 3, 2013, 7:19 am
  4. Kids do grow up fast. & Mer Mer is right.

Posted by CB | December 3, 2013, 7:24 am
  5. It’s reading shit like this that almost, emphasis on almost, makes me reconsider my not wanting to have kids. Almost. I played FIFA for the first time with my dad the other day after many, many years. Can you imagine what sorta video games you’ll be playing with your kids after another fourteen years sail by? Boggles the cockles.

Posted by Humans Are Weird | December 3, 2013, 7:40 am
  6. happiest birthday to your little storm troopers.

Posted by icescreammama | December 3, 2013, 8:08 am
  7. You have awesome kids because they have an awesome dad who has been there for them through the good and the bad. Happy birthday to them :-)

Posted by NotAPunkRocker | December 3, 2013, 8:24 am
  8. Happy birthday to your boys!

Posted by RFL | December 3, 2013, 9:00 am
  9. Happy Birthday twinboys! Awesome kiddo’s raised by a pretty awesome dad.

Posted by overitblogdotcom | December 3, 2013, 9:09 am
  10. Happy birthday to the twins!

Posted by evilsquirrel13 | December 3, 2013, 9:58 am
  11. So many teen years to go! I’m not sure which is more fun – teen sons or teen daughters . . .

Posted by aliceatwonderland | December 3, 2013, 10:56 am
  12. Pat yourself on the back when you reflect on this, because you deserve it.

Posted by BrainRants | December 3, 2013, 11:01 am
  13. May they live long and prosper, and may you get to watch them grow^^

Posted by bardictale | December 3, 2013, 11:41 am
  14. 14? My daughter… the younger one… is 14… if we were feudal Barons, we could merge our houses with a strategic marriage and consolidate our hold on the empire!!!

Posted by pouringmyartout | December 3, 2013, 11:59 am
  15. Much like I said to my co-worker on the anniversary of her boob job: “Happy birthday to the twins!”

Posted by The Cutter | December 3, 2013, 1:39 pm
  16. I think 14 is where they stop growing up and just stay.

Posted by behindthemaskofabuse | December 3, 2013, 1:49 pm
  17. Happy Birthday to the twins.
    And Congratulations to Twindaddy for surviving 14 years (and counting) of fatherhood. ;-)

Posted by djmatticus | December 3, 2013, 4:15 pm
  18. My youngest is 14 today. Unfortunately that means her sister will be 20 in 2 weeks. How the hell does that even happen??!?!?

Posted by modeejae | December 5, 2013, 6:12 pm
  19. Happy Birthday boys!! They are lucky to have an amazing Dad like you :)

Posted by Daile | December 8, 2013, 8:34 pm
  20. I agree with everyone else. Babies A & B are as awesome as they are because they’ve got you for their dad.

Posted by faithhopechocolate | December 10, 2013, 3:46 pm
  21. My daughters are almost 16. When they were little, people would regularly approach us and say things like “I wouldn’t want to be you.” and “I’m glad I’m not you.” WTF? My wife started responding with absolute snark. “I wouldn’t want to be you, either.” and “I’m sure my children are glad you’re not me, too.” It always amazed me that people were pissed off by that. Truthfully: twins, best trip ever, right? We still use the word “singleton” as an insult around the house.

Posted by JunkChuck | January 3, 2014, 10:20 am
  22. This is so cool. I also have a 14 year old son and remember the Bob the Builder obsession, the Teletubbies obsession and Lego. Lots and lots of Lego. We are, all of us, but works in progress.

Posted by the curtain raiser | January 20, 2014, 4:31 pm