Stuph

A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words

A picture is worth a thousand words.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

I have a rather polluted opinion of the twins’ mother, obviously. She did things to me that I’ll never forget and will forever taint the way I view her.

However, there are times I can see the good things about her. I see those things mostly through the twins. She is very artistic. She could write very well when she actually sat down to do it. She is also a very talented artist.

I was reminded of her artistic abilities when I saw Baby A’s inherited talents on display this past weekend. He is taking an art class this year, and his latest assignment was to pencil-sketch a portrait of Marilyn Monroe.

His teacher had him take the same approach I was taught in school, which is to lay out a grid on the source picture and then again on the medium on which you’ll be sketching. The results for me were less than stellar. Baby A’s, however, were downright amazing. He definitely has his mother’s talent for drawing.

Marilyn Monroe sketch

Wow. Just wow.

I was floored when first I laid eyes on my son’s sketch. My jaw fell to the floor with an emphatic thud. This turned out amazingly. I only wish that I could draw like this.

Baby A, though he’s happy with the way it turned out, was not so thrilled with the amount of time it took him to complete this sketch. I hope, despite his disdain for everything that isn’t an Xbox, that he keeps up with this talent. If he hones his craft he could eventually find a career in this.

74 thoughts on “A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words

1. Super jealous of skills like this. But I’m super happy others DO have them! WOW!

Posted by Chatter Master | December 10, 2013, 8:05 am
  2. Seeing our children flourish in any way is a very special experience – but seeing something creative, be it art, poetry, musicianship, it really does fill one with an incredible pride. My son wrote a poem about my late father which made me cry (in a good way) and now when we sit and play guitar together… it’s one of the best things I’ve ever done with him. I really feel your pride and joy my friend, it’s an amazing talent :-)

Posted by Simon | December 10, 2013, 8:07 am
  3. Too cool! That’s a talent worth encouraging.

Posted by BrainRants | December 10, 2013, 8:28 am
  4. way talented. good stuff.

Posted by icescreammama | December 10, 2013, 8:42 am
  5. That is a really great sketch! We did the grid method in art class too, and nothing I ever did turned out like this!

Posted by RFL | December 10, 2013, 8:47 am
  6. His art is beautiful.

Posted by 1jaded1 | December 10, 2013, 8:50 am
  7. Again – LOVE THIS! I showed Joe and he was VERY impressed.

Posted by Nicole Marie | December 10, 2013, 9:28 am
  8. That’s awesome, TD! Amazing talent he’s got there :)

Posted by C.K. Hope | December 10, 2013, 9:41 am
  9. Wow! That is some incredible talent he’s got there.

Posted by MissFourEyes | December 10, 2013, 11:06 am
  10. That’s incredible! I always wished I could draw.

Posted by Katie | December 10, 2013, 11:25 am
  11. Wow. That’s a very good sketch. He has the whole shading part down.
    He sure does have a gift^^

Posted by bardictale | December 10, 2013, 12:05 pm
  12. Awesome art… and I know art… I am Art… so… there…

Posted by pouringmyartout | December 10, 2013, 12:34 pm
  13. Wow! Amazing!

Posted by littlemisswordy | December 10, 2013, 12:44 pm
  14. Beautiful. : ) Inspiring as well.

Posted by Pocahontas | December 10, 2013, 1:45 pm
  15. Wow! That boy has talent!

Posted by Sofia Leo | December 10, 2013, 2:19 pm
  16. That’s amazing! I’m always jealous of people with artistic talent!! You must be very proud…

Posted by suzie81 | December 10, 2013, 2:20 pm
  17. It makes you more proud when you discover your child’s talent than finding your own. I am new here. Directed to your blog by Scottishmomus.
    It looks like a great place for escape.
    “I shall return! “

Posted by Treyzguy | December 10, 2013, 4:01 pm
  18. Good for Baby A. Although I have to admit calling someone Baby A that caught MM’s seductive nature so well seems odd.

Posted by Elyse | December 10, 2013, 6:38 pm
  19. I’m in awe of his talent!! Always hang onto that piece!

Posted by behindthemaskofabuse | December 10, 2013, 6:42 pm
  20. I’m so impressed by this….I also hope he keeps at this. He has a true talent.

Posted by Polysyllabic Profundities | December 10, 2013, 8:17 pm
  21. He’s got a very special gift.

Posted by outlawmama | December 10, 2013, 10:19 pm
  22. He really is talented. That’s an amazing sketch. I sense art classes in your future.

Liked by 1 person

Posted by stephrogers | December 11, 2013, 6:30 am
  23. Amazing talent! Maybe you can get him to stick with it by filling him in on the fact that “artists” are the ones who come up with those badass Xbox graphics. That sketch is a God given gift…no lessons, just raw talent.

Posted by Life With The Top Down | December 11, 2013, 7:42 am
  24. That is amazingly awesome! I tried sketching random pictures out of the newspaper when i was a kid… it’s a lot harder than it might seem. I hope Baby A’s next assignment is a squirrel, I would love to see that….

Posted by evilsquirrel13 | December 11, 2013, 11:02 am
  25. My oldest girl Beauty will be 20 in a few days. She’s getting an art book and supplies for her birthday. Seeing them create something amazing is one of the best parts of being a parent! Good Job Baby A!

Posted by modeejae | December 11, 2013, 3:21 pm
  26. I’m kind of blown away.

Liked by 1 person

Posted by denmother | December 13, 2013, 2:52 pm
  27. Wow that’s great. Seeing yourself and another in a child seems so…fun and weird. I think I would like that part of it. :)

Posted by La La | February 20, 2014, 2:55 pm
  28. I’m floored as well. This is gorgeous!

Posted by DaydreamsInWonderland | March 14, 2014, 12:29 pm
  29. Wow. Like wow!! That is talent. I can’t even draw a stick figure. What talent did baby A get from you?

In other news…#stalker. I’m really not a stalker. Much.

Posted by cellulitelooksbettertan | April 16, 2014, 11:40 pm