Stuph

The Year That Was 2013

Well, I suppose it’s that time. The time of year to look back and reflect on what has happened and, um, stuph.

When 2013 began, things were looking up. My wife and I had reconciled and she had promised me she would do whatever it took to make our marriage work. Though she had lost her job due to medical reasons (she had to have a hysterectomy), things were still going well for us.

Or so I thought.

Merely a month into the year she found new employment then decided she no longer wanted to be married. I was crushed anew, and my resulting trip into the rabbit hole of depression would last for months.

I had my heart broken many times in the past year. Sometimes by women. Sometimes by people I thought were friends. Each time my heart was shattered into smaller granules I was plunged further into the rabbit hole.

At the very bottom of the rabbit hole (well, the bottom for me, anyhow) is where I found the true value of blogging. Fellow bloggers began reaching out to me. Friend requests were sent. Phone numbers exchanged. Cathartic talks ensued.

Through Facebook IMs, Twitter exchanges, texting, and phone conversations with fellow bloggers, I began to make a steady climb out of the rabbit hole. One blogger even gave me some money so I could start seeing a therapist. I was truly broke at the time and there was no way I could afford therapy. That person asked that I never reveal to anyone what he or she did, but if that person is reading I still want that person to know how much that meant to me and that was the catalyst to my ascension from the rabbit hole.

I’m not exactly thriving now, but I’m surviving. I’ve learned to live on my own for the first time in my life. My children are keeping me pretty occupied a majority of the time and when they are not I have plentiful hobbies to fall back on. I’ve actually found that I quite like living on my own. I have no one to answer to. I can do what I want when I want and no one is there to bitch about it. I’ve finally learned to manage what money I have, and have found a groove that works for me and the children.

I still have a plethora of blogging buddies I keep in contact with on an almost daily basis and I tried to repay their kindness to me with support of my own. We all need assistance at one point or another. I’ve tried to pay their kindness to me forward to new bloggers I meet along the way.

2014 is only a handful of hours away. When the ball drops a blank page will be presented to me on which to write a new chapter in the story of my life. I’m hoping this chapter will have a lot less heartache and a lot more laughter.

To those bloggers who have been there for me during these turbulent months (you know who you are), I thank you from the very bottom of my heart and hope that I can return the favor one day should the opportunity arise. Hopefully it doesn’t.

Here’s to a happy 2014 for all of us. Let the unshitty times roll…

Shot Glasses

Drink it up, bitches! (Photo credit: divadea)

118 thoughts on “The Year That Was 2013

1. That’s amazing – I’m so glad you are on the up! I had no idea you had experienced all that – I only found you in Sept and I’m really glad I did! All the best for the New Year TD!!!

Posted by suzie81 | December 28, 2013, 10:41 am
  2. I’m raising my glass for you, CT and that the new year will be way less shitty. It sure was an intense rollercoaster, huh?

I’m pondering my final post for 2013, but not sure if I have enough mental brain power to actually bring all my thoughts together haha.

I’ll ask the Hat to bring a tornado of laughter for you. :) xo

Posted by TJLubrano | December 28, 2013, 10:41 am
  3. I just had the urge to sing “That’s what friends are for.” Thankfully, I stopped myself by sticking a Xmas cookie in my mouth. :)

Posted by merbear74 | December 28, 2013, 10:49 am
  4. That friend, I think, is the best kind of friend you could have. To give without it being known that they gave is a truly selfless act. I am glad that he or she has helped you no end. Although 2014 will still be difficult, you will grow in strength.

Posted by Al | December 28, 2013, 10:53 am
  5. That’s a year all right. Kudos to you for the getting through. And kudos to good people every where who reached out to help. And all along the way… I noticed your encouraging and uplifting comments to others. Kindness begets kindness. Maybe that’s why so many reached out to you. :) Happy end of this year, and happy great beginnings to the next. Slainte!

Posted by Chatter Master | December 28, 2013, 10:56 am
  6. I’m glad you found blogging and blogging friends, TD. You deserve to be happy. :)

Posted by Jolie Michele | December 28, 2013, 11:58 am
  7. Hope this year will be filled with more laughter for you as well, TD.

Posted by bardictale | December 28, 2013, 12:20 pm
  8. Wishing you a wonderful 2014. : )

Posted by Pocahontas | December 28, 2013, 12:23 pm
  9. Sounds like a great year. Good for you, TD. Sincerely, I couldn’t be happier.

This is the second year in a row I’ll be looking forward to seeing the ass end of.
    No idea what 2014 will bring, but I plan on getting wet, airborne, and generally mocking gravity as much as possible.

Posted by El Guapo | December 28, 2013, 12:24 pm
    • I don’t know that 2013 was a great year, but good things did come out of it. I personally can’t wait until I’m looking at 2013 through the rearview.

And I can’t wait to read about your gravity-defying escapades.

Posted by Twindaddy | December 28, 2013, 12:31 pm
  10. Divorce is brutal. I’ve been through it twice and started my life over too many times to count. I’m so glad you were able to find comfort in the blogging community. I’ve met some wonderful people myself!

But here’s to hoping 2014 is a better year for you and everyone!

Deanna

Posted by My Muted Voice | December 28, 2013, 12:29 pm
  11. Totally unshitty New 2014 year to you, TD! May you always have friends like that!

Posted by List of X | December 28, 2013, 12:35 pm
  12. Keep smilin’, keep shinin’, knowing you can always count on me . . . barrrrrf. :D

Posted by aliceatwonderland | December 28, 2013, 12:39 pm
  13. So glad you had friends to help you through this challenging year. They do make a difference. As you so eloquently put it, may 2014 be most unshitty. J.

Posted by 1jaded1 | December 28, 2013, 12:47 pm
  14. I truly hope it is a better one for you. Happy New Year :)

Posted by The Indecisive Eejit | December 28, 2013, 1:03 pm
  15. I agree – good riddance to 2013. It’s really great to see you hitting your stride.

Posted by BrainRants | December 28, 2013, 1:21 pm
  16. This most definately has been one of the shittiest years of my life, I can NOT wait to kick 2013 to the curb on New Year’s, here’s to all of us having a hilarious 2014!
    P.S. Glad to hear your starting to see light at the end of the tunnel, now move over I need to get closer to the end of that tunnel lol~

Posted by overitblogdotcom | December 28, 2013, 2:44 pm
  17. Here’s to an unshitty 2014, TD. All the best to you and yours!

Posted by The Waiting | December 28, 2013, 3:31 pm
  18. Thank you for sharing your story. It is amazing to read how life could be turned around by blogging. I call what you call a ‘rabbit hole’ a ‘pit’ and had been there before. It is a true blessing to be able to get out of that rabbit hole or the pit and start afresh. Happy New Year and blessings to you. :)

Posted by Little Borneo Girl | December 28, 2013, 4:22 pm
  19. You have an amazing network of support. You are awesome, twindaddy. Make this year the best one yet. We have your back. Cheers to more smiles. xoxo

Posted by Nicole Marie | December 28, 2013, 6:25 pm
  20. I can’t tell you how much I love reading your blog! I hope that 2014 is very hole-less for you (and me). Rabbit holes can be damp and may contain centipedes and stuff, so I’m glad you made it out. Nobody needs centipedes. Just nobody.

Posted by Lizi | December 28, 2013, 6:48 pm
  21. Here’s to an unshitty 2014 indeed!

Posted by behindthemaskofabuse | December 28, 2013, 7:43 pm
  22. Yes! To unshitty times!! Here here! or is Hear hear? I think it’s Here, here! As in, come over here, unshitty times! anyway, happiest new year. I’m so happy your moving onward and upward. Only good things from now until forever. :)

Posted by icescreammama | December 28, 2013, 8:07 pm
  23. Crike, what a year. Glad there were people there for you. And that one who paid for your therapy… I’m so glad for people like that. Anyway, hope 2014 is pleasantly free of unintended buggery, as they say in Newfoundland (they don’t really say that, but whatever, they’re fucking Newfies). The best to you and your children.

Posted by Trent Lewin | December 28, 2013, 8:17 pm
  24. Nothing has turned my life around at my worst times quite like good friends and a great therapist. And by great therapist I mean one that chose to see me even if I couldn’t pay her that week and would always find the root of an issue. I say we should all be issued a birth certificate and assigned a head doc when we’re born. Glad things are turning around for you. Keep looking forward and keep writing…that’s my plan anyway. Cheers to ’14.

Posted by tdawneightyone | December 28, 2013, 10:32 pm
    • Thanks, Dawn. Writing is very therapeutic for me, so I shall continue to do so. I was only able to go to therapy for a couple of months due to my financial situation, but in those couple of months he helped me put a lot of things in perspective.

Posted by Twindaddy | December 29, 2013, 8:20 am
  25. I am glad you are doing better. I saw a photo on facebook and wanted to share it cause it reminded me of you but I cannot figure out how to paste it here…sighs… ah well. lol Here is wishing you a fabulous 2014. :)

Posted by daniheart21 | December 28, 2013, 11:02 pm
  26. TD this was a wonderful post. I am truly honoured and grateful to have met you. You are my BFFFL. You have walked with me through some pretty dark places. I am thankful for your friendship. I can’t wait to see what 2014 has in store for us. I mean come on, after the year we’ve had? Bring it on!

Posted by stephrogers | December 29, 2013, 5:05 am
  27. Heavy year… But it’s great to see how good some people are. Good thing there were bloggers reaching out and even better that it actually helped.
    I wish you a better 2014 though!

Posted by No Blog Intended | December 29, 2013, 7:24 am
  28. Happy New Year!

Posted by Katie | December 29, 2013, 7:34 am
  29. You really have come a long way this year and I am so proud of your accomplishments! Blessings certainly do come from the most unusual places. All the best to you for 2014!

Posted by Life With The Top Down | December 29, 2013, 7:55 am
  30. God, TwinDaddy, you’da thunk that that year had a “13″ in it somewhere! Hope 2014 is way better for you from start to finish.

Posted by Elyse | December 29, 2013, 10:36 am
  31. Glad you’re outta that hole.

Posted by outlawmama | December 29, 2013, 2:48 pm
  32. Wow… that sounds like a really tough year :-/ I think it will feel good just knowing that it’s over and a new one has begun. *cheers* to it being better, and even though I’ve only been around for a short time I can absolutely agree with what you said about the amazing influence that blogging/other bloggers can have on your life. 2014 is going to be great :)

Posted by Aussa Lorens | December 29, 2013, 8:35 pm
  33. New here, but this post really resonated with me – both in terms of the rabbit holes of life, and the cathartic value of the blogging community. I admire your bravery for sharing your dark times. Best wishes for a brighter 2014.

Posted by sexyduchess | December 29, 2013, 11:19 pm
  34. Cheers my friend *clinks glass* here’s hoping you kick 2014′s butt!

P.S.: you said clink like Gru and the girls did in Despicable Me, didn’t you? ;)

Posted by wannabepoet | December 30, 2013, 9:19 am
  35. I think you are going to have a good year… If I can help make that happen, let me know…

Posted by pouringmyartout | December 30, 2013, 9:33 am
  36. Wow…yay for bloggers!!! I’m glad you are entering 2014 in a better space and hopefully all the hardships you encountered this years will only serve to make you stronger.

Posted by AreYouFinishedYet | December 31, 2013, 12:03 am
  37. I too thank that blogger who gave you that money to help you out. You had a tough 2013, but I reckon 2014 is going to be much better as you’re in a much stronger head place than you were.

Posted by faithhopechocolate | January 19, 2014, 3:51 pm

1. Pingback: Why 2013 was/is my year! | allthingszion - December 29, 2013

2. Pingback: Group Therapy: December « HACKER. NINJA. HOOKER. SPY. - December 29, 2013

3. Pingback: Roll on 2014! | The Whimsy Art of TJ Lubrano - December 30, 2013