Life

Singin’ in the Bathtub

There’s something soothing about a hot shower. I don’t know what it is about hot water cascading from a shower head that immobilizes me, mesmerizes me, tranquilizes me, but it’s a relaxation like no other.

I’ve enjoyed a hot shower as far back as I can remember. When I was younger my father was forced to put a timer in the bathroom for my showers so I didn’t use up all the hot water in the mornings. Even then a hot shower captivated me. I was supposed to set the timer for 10 minutes, but like the bad ass rebel I am I always set it for 11:11, giving me an extra minute and 11 seconds of pure bliss every morning. Sorry, dad, but I’m not ashamed.

These days I have somewhat of a guilty pleasure ritual. I take my cell phone to the bathroom with me (calm down, we all do it) and crank the music up. I then turn on the hot water. While taking my scalding shower, I belt out the lyrics along with whatever song is blasting from my cell phone. Well, if I know the lyrics, that is. If I don’t that’s when I wash up.

I sometimes do some deep thinking in the shower, as well. Often times being in the shower is the only time I get to myself. Damned kids…

Stop judging me. Most of us sing in the shower. And the car. And any other place we think we’re all alone.

I’ll stand there, singing, until every drop of hot water has been consumed. Oh, and I’ll, you know, wash myself, too. I still don’t know what it is about these long showers that rejuvenates me, but afterword I feel energetic (for me) and refreshed. Ready to face the day. As much as I can be ready. It’s almost as essential as my morning cup of coffeh.

It seems this love of hot showers is genetic. While Baby B is the type to get in and get out, Baby A never emerges from the shower until every molecule of hot water has been exhausted. Just like his father. Hence the reason they have to take their showers at night, and why Baby B always goes first.

I love my hot showers. I can’t make it through the day without one. They are one of my biggest guilty pleasures.

HK-47

Query: Do you sing in the shower, meatbag? Does your crooning threaten the very existence of the mirrors in your bathroom? Or do you have some other guilty meatbag pleasure?

86 thoughts on “Singin’ in the Bathtub

1. It’s long, hot bubble baths all the way for me. I solve life’s little problems, blog, listen to music and generally sing along to my ‘bath’ playlist, which pretty much consists of 80′s power ballads… Showers are far too much energy – all that standing tires me out ;)

Posted by suzie81 | December 30, 2013, 11:16 am
  2. ha! I have never taken a phone into the shower… but I love to sing anyplace that I have music (but I refuse to do anything with the word ‘karaoke’ in it/near it/by it). I wish I could take a faster shower b/c I don’t really like being wet – isn’t that weird? I would rather just dry clean myself. If I have a headache, I do like to sit under a hot shower but otherwise, I don’t get that thrill others do. I cannot abide sitting in bathtub… I last about 2 minutes and I’m ready to be done. You can have all my hot water and we’ll call it even-steven or ephen-stephen.

Posted by Rutabaga the Mercenary Researcher | December 30, 2013, 11:16 am
  3. Hey, who you calling meatbag? I love meat.

Don’t tell anyone, but my best story ideas generally come in the shower while listening to CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, roughly equivalent to NPR) and scrubbing my hairy back vigorously, all while downing a dopio espresso. Don’t judge. Shower-tainted espresso is delicious.

Now, brushing teeth… I’ve never had a single good idea, ever, while brushing my teeth.

Posted by Trent Lewin | December 30, 2013, 11:20 am
  4. Singing in my car is what I do best (really worst). This time of year is nice because half my commute is in the dark, so no other crazy drivers can witness my performances.

Posted by NotAPunkRocker | December 30, 2013, 11:23 am
  5. I’m one of few people I know who doesn’t love taking a shower. I’m not gross. Maybe it’s because I’m a woman, but taking a shower is a serious time commitment. I also find that it wakes me up instead of relaxing me, so taking a shower at night isn’t really ideal for me.

Posted by Katie | December 30, 2013, 11:24 am
  6. I have actually nodded off in the shower before. Once all is sparkly, that is.

Posted by merbear74 | December 30, 2013, 11:52 am
  7. The only use for my phone in the bathroom is twitter. And that’s not for when I’m in the shower.

Posted by El Guapo | December 30, 2013, 1:00 pm
  8. I used to sing in the shower… that was before I had to start getting up at o’dark stupid to go to work, and before I shared my space with The Queen (and now the Little Prince) who don’t have to be up at o’dark stupid. Now I’m super efficient, in and out and on my way. Though, I will occasionally take a few extra minutes to enjoy the hot water on the weekends when I’m less pressed for time.

Posted by djmatticus | December 30, 2013, 1:31 pm
  9. Yay for scalding showers. Singing in them…not so much. That is reserved for the car.

Posted by 1jaded1 | December 30, 2013, 1:53 pm
  10. Oh I most definitely sing in the shower– and the car– and everywhere. And I have absolutely zero talent but I make up for it with passion and gusto. Even when I was traveling and staying in hostels, I still took my iPod into the shower and hung it up in a plastic bag so I could blast my music and sing along. I’m sure everyone else loved this.

Posted by Aussa Lorens | December 30, 2013, 2:19 pm
  11. I’ll sing the crap out of the shower. Unfortunately, the hot water at my house doesn’t last nearly long enough.

Posted by The Cutter | December 30, 2013, 2:38 pm
  12. I love hot showers or baths. It’s strangely the only water-related activity I enjoy. And, though I sing everywhere… I don’t sing in the shower/bath. :)

Posted by rarasaur | December 30, 2013, 3:05 pm
  13. I actually don’t most of the time sing in the shower. I don’t break mirrors and I’m a get in and out person. Hubby is the one who I think goes to another world when he’s in the shower. Sometimes I think he’s never coming out!

Posted by behindthemaskofabuse | December 30, 2013, 4:32 pm
  14. When the water turns off? OH. No no no, please. Go back on. Must. Have. Warmth. Too Soon…

Posted by Chowderhead | December 30, 2013, 5:39 pm
  15. You know, you’d think I would sing in the shower with all the car singing I do, but nope. Not a single note. I must say, however, my showers have completely changed since having kids. They are much more utilitarian. I’m in/out like a freakin’ ninja for two reasons: a) I have a million things to do and a shower always seems like one of those time-sucks that just gets in my way, and b) our shower is surrounded by all glass. If I’m not done and wrapped in a towel in exactly 2.4 seconds I will have at least two males in there gawking at me. And 2 seconds of that 2.4 is used washing this blonde mane of mine. .2 to shave. .2 to soap all 2,000 parts. Done & Done. Ninja style.

Posted by bethteliho | December 30, 2013, 6:03 pm
  16. I love that scalding hot water that burns but soothes at the same time. :-)
    Yes, I do hum along or sing a bit but never out loud because it would be troublesome.

Posted by anmol(alias HA) | December 30, 2013, 6:46 pm
  17. I tend to have a song going through my mind while I’m in the shower, though I’m one of those semi-Tourettes kinda people who can just start belting out lyrics at any time, anywhere when I’m bored or distracted. “Epic showers”, as I’ve heard these long, empty the hot water heater type of events called are not my cup of tea, though. In, wash, dry, out. I’m only slightly more open to the idea of drenching myself in water as my cats are…

Posted by evilsquirrel13 | December 30, 2013, 7:23 pm
  18. I’m commenting from my personal homemade sauna right this very moment. My hot water heater gets approximately 15 minutes and 33 seconds before the satan of all things icy dominates my paradise. I shouldn’t waste anymore time typing. Goodbye.

Posted by becca3416 | December 30, 2013, 9:12 pm
  19. First: OMG YOUR DAD DID THAT SHIT TOO?

Second: I know what we’ve ACTUALLY been doing while showering.

Third: I do not sing in the shower, in the car, or ever. Fucking… ever. God did not make this meatbag to sing. Period.

Fourth: The coffee graphic is too goddamn true… dammit.

Fuck…

Posted by BrainRants | December 31, 2013, 12:03 am
  20. For me, there is clear demarcation line: showers are for strictly for thinking, and car drives are for singing. And I don’t like bathtubs at all – when I’m in one, I somehow feel like I’m just wasting the time which I could spend more efficiently by thinking in the shower.

Posted by List of X | December 31, 2013, 2:44 am
  21. I also love the shower, it’s where brilliance emerges for me. I don’t sing though, I save that for the car. I do use all the hot water and I have passed this gene onto my son, who does the same (we also both deny it). I really believe World Peace can be solved in the shower.

Posted by Life With The Top Down | December 31, 2013, 5:42 am
    • A few weeks ago, my father, myself, and the twins went out to eat for their birthday. Baby B mentioned Baby A’s penchant for long showers and I got a pointed look from my father. I, of course, acted innocent and denied any knowledge of a possible genetic passing of this trait.

Posted by Twindaddy | December 31, 2013, 10:36 am
  22. You get to be alone in the shower without your kids?! Ugh. The universe hates me.

Happy New Year!

Posted by My Muted Voice | December 31, 2013, 5:50 am
  23. Why reserve singing for the car and the shower? I sing all the time. Much better that way.

(I try not to think when I’m in the shower because then I have to rush out and write my ideas down every few minutes. Wet paper is hard to read.)

Posted by bardictale | December 31, 2013, 6:34 am
  24. Man, a good hot shower is like a day at the spa! add some singing and it’s a broadway show too!! It’s the best place to hide!

Posted by icescreammama | December 31, 2013, 11:41 am
  25. I come up with my best creative ideas in the shower.

Posted by pouringmyartout | December 31, 2013, 12:45 pm
  26. Long showers work well if your hot water tank is big enough to meet the demand. But when said tank is barely bigger than a tea kettle, then one must become very, very efficient.

BTW, is that red smoke in the background steam from your latest hour-long shower?

Posted by Suzanne Lucas | January 1, 2014, 9:35 pm
  27. I don’t sing in the shower, and oddly never have. But I don’t these days because I would get told off for breaking Greater Silence. Plus no one wants to hear anyone singing at six am…

A solution to the water running out is to get an electric shower installed.

Posted by faithhopechocolate | January 20, 2014, 4:07 am