Editorials

Hey Dude, Gotta Light (Bulb)…A Rantlet

It has been a long time since I’ve gone off on a rantlet. I hope I remember how. I want to put up front and center stage that this isn’t about the type of light bulb that you use. Incandescent, fluorescent, LED, farts on fire, how you choose to illuminate your abode is your business. Although, if you choose the last option, I probably won’t be visiting. Sorry.

The issue on point is that, if you live in the United States, your choices of illumination just became smaller. As of January 1, 2014, companies are no longer allowed to produce or import incandescent bulbs, of any wattage. I haven’t done a whole lot of research, but I’m sure the same applies to individuals. Sorry Customs and Border Patrol, your job just became a bit more challenging! No, I don’t have anything to declare, I promise. That 3-way reading light bulb is a figment of your imagination. May the force be with you. Whew, that was close.

I’m not telling anyone how to think, but I’m disturbed. The fact that one more freedom is being removed from the “Land of the Free” has me more than a little bit scared. Today it’s your choice of light bulbs, tomorrow it’s your cell phone conversations. Oh wait! That’s today too. Nevermind.

Supposedly, stores can sell their remaining inventories, and the light bulb popo aren’t doing door to door searches in attempts to confiscate rogue bulbs. I live in an apartment so I’m not sure that applies. A couple of years ago, my state mandated that every bedroom in an apartment dwelling have a smoke detector. I already have one just outside my bedroom. Now I have one just INSIDE my bedroom, too. Let’s hope that fire doesn’t happen in the kitchen, Pa!

I’m not thrilled with the options that remain in the guise of efficiency. CFs supposedly contain mercury. So, I’ll need to call a Haz-Mat team if I break one. Did I happen to mention that I’m clumsy? I’ll also need to hermetically seal and take them some place safe for disposal. That means using more gas. How is that more efficient? Lighting my farts on fire is not an option so I guess I’ll go with LED and hope for the best.

I’m not a tin foil wearing conspiracy theorist. I just find it a bit troubling that our freedoms are being whittled down in the name of what’s best for us. As practicing adults, shouldn’t we have somewhat of a clue? Now excuse me while I hide a 3-way…bulb!

What are your thoughts? Am I making a mountain out of a molehill? Remember, this is about choice, or lack thereof.

/rantlet

About 1jaded1

Jaded in Detroit

63 thoughts on “Hey Dude, Gotta Light (Bulb)…A Rantlet

1. I wrote a mini novel of a response, but the gist was– I also don’t like it. :)

Posted by rarasaur | January 3, 2014, 1:15 am
  2. You’re not making a big deal at all. In fact, I think it’s just going to continue to get worse. Sadly, there probably isn’t a damn thing we can do about it.

I wanna just build a spaceship & get the hell out of here.

Posted by DaydreamsInWonderland | January 3, 2014, 4:49 am
  3. It doesn’t sound right at all :( Thank you for not lighting our farts. ;-)

Posted by behindthemaskofabuse | January 3, 2014, 4:50 am
  4. I was just complaining about this to my husband the other day. I did not do so as well as you just did. I’m with you on this.

Posted by Chatter Master | January 3, 2014, 5:35 am
  5. I amuse myself by writing the date on the base of each mini-florescent with a Sharpie to see how long they really last, versus the claims on the package. Haven’t had one last the promised 7 years yet, but a few are promising. My grandfather had an incandescent that lasted over 30 years on his front porch–clearly a manufacturing error. I go back and forth about this–even though we’ve been slowly converting as the last of our incandescents burn out. Is this any different than the automotive CAFE standards? I don’t have a problem with that, but I regularly drive an AWD Ford Exped that gets about 10 miles/gallon. Hypocrite: me. I’m for anything that keeps a few dimes out of the Saudi’s pockets. Or Halliburton’s, for that matter. Except when I’m not, it seems. We switched over our obnoxious Christmas display to LED lights last year, tired of all those incandescent strings that would only half-light after spending the summer in the attic–the result was a shocking decline in our December electricity bill, versus previous holiday seasons. So maybe it’s a good thing. On the other hand, I don’t see myself abandoning the halogen bulb on my desk lamp–the quality of light is sublime.

Posted by JunkChuck | January 3, 2014, 6:27 am
  6. I see the logic here with issuing standards and such … but Obamacare bends my crank. Maybe that makes me a hypocrite too. I’ll say one thing – LED tree lights require far less time-consuming swap-out to find that one mystery bulb than the tiny incandescent bulbs.

Posted by BrainRants | January 3, 2014, 6:42 am
    • Hey Rants. Don’t get me started on that clusterfuck. I’m not thinking you are a hypocrite. I’ll take your word for the lights. I have a Charlie Brown tree, complete with red bulb, and no plans to illuminate it

Let’s diverge this way and talk about another light. Coors Light. Let’s say a study says people drink more light beer because you have to in order to get the buzz. Let’s say that the regulators decide this is bad because people don’t know their own limits. Let’s say the regulators decide to outlaw all light beers. What to do? What to do? This is all hypothetical…but what would you do if it wasn’t?

Posted by 1jaded1 | January 4, 2014, 12:14 am
  7. I don’t have an opinion as of yet as I was unaware of this until I read your post.

Posted by Twindaddy | January 3, 2014, 7:02 am
  8. No, you’re not makinga mountain out of a molehill. ‘Nuff said.

Posted by T. D. Davis | January 3, 2014, 7:26 am
  9. No, I agree with you. It always confounds me that people like banning things. Banning just makes something harder to regulate, and everyone around annoyed.

Posted by bardictale | January 3, 2014, 7:59 am
  10. It’s ridiculous and it looks like I better stack up otherwise I’ll be buying my bulbs from a back alley somewhere.

Posted by Life With The Top Down | January 3, 2014, 8:14 am
  11. Dude. Save the planet. Incandescent is ancient technology and horrendously energy-intensive. It’s vaguely the equivalent of us still riding around in internal combustion-driven cars. What the fuck? How did we not invent a new mode of transportation in like a hundred years? And why do we keep using light bulbs invented when the dinosaurs were around? The US still relies heavily on coal for electricity, so saving any electricity saves CO2 emission. The life cycle of incandescent light bulbs is way way worse than LED’s. Last I saw, you could install about 10 LED’s for the same electricity consumption of 1 incandescent. That’s nuts. I think this is a good thing, to be honest, but I’m a tree-hugger and worse, Canadian. I feel like I should apologize now.

Posted by Trent Lewin | January 3, 2014, 8:26 am
    • Dude, no apologies needed. I value your opinion. It is a matter of choice and I’m not kicking and screaming about giving up incandescents, but the choice to buy them. I’d love to see the studies in 10 years. Despite our save the planet efforts, we still seem to be in dire straits.

Posted by 1jaded1 | January 3, 2014, 8:47 am
      • Nah I’m just apologizing because I’m Canadian. We apologize a lot. Sorry.

Yeah we’re a bit fucked. We’re going to be handing a mess to our kids and grandkids, and they will have to endure some serious shit in their lives. But I have hope. We realized we had acid rain and stopped it. We realized we had ozone depletion and stopped it. But global warming is a tougher one and the most serious one so far. Fortunately, there are lots of smart folks on it.

Posted by Trent Lewin | January 3, 2014, 8:50 am
        • Let’s hope. What freaks me out is the people who say, “oh, let me toss this energy efficient bulb with my trash.” If it is a cf bulb, the earth will be polluted with mercury.

Posted by 1jaded1 | January 3, 2014, 10:48 pm
          • Yup. Doesn’t make sense. Mercury’s about the worst stuff out there. Break one of those suckers at home and you might want to keep the kids away. Unless you want some mad hatters running about.

Posted by Trent Lewin | January 3, 2014, 10:50 pm
  12. We’re feeling the light bulb pinch here in Canada as well, my friend.
    Door-to-door mail delivery is being phased out as well, so please, rant on!
    And on…
    And on…

Posted by The Hook | January 3, 2014, 9:54 am
  13. Nice… now do one about how airlines can sell more tickets than they have room on the planes… I hate that.

Posted by pouringmyartout | January 3, 2014, 11:14 am
  14. To be fair, incandescent bulbs are incredibly inefficient for what they do.

Posted by El Guapo | January 3, 2014, 1:50 pm
  15. I have to disagree with you – because this is done to reduce our carbon footprint and somewhat mitigate the global warming, it is necessary to take away the choice. Just as it was necessary to take away the choice against pollution, vaccines, and drunk driving. We the people aren’t always the most rational decision makers, unfortunately, and if we make choices that could hurt only ourselves, I have no problem with those. But some choices we make often affect others, whether we realize it or not, so not everything should be about freedom. Now, your one lightbulb won’t affect global warming in any way – unfortunately, neither would those few who choose CF’s or LED’s voluntarily.

Posted by List of X | January 3, 2014, 2:03 pm
  16. I see your point. I’m not for anarchy. If someone injures a person or damages property, they should be held accountable. Most people know right from wrong, and if they choose wrong, they should accept the consequences. The issue I have is when choice is inhibited because someone thinks they know better, or what is better for us, without substantiation.

Posted by 1jaded1 | January 3, 2014, 11:17 pm
  17. This is a first world problem.

First, I am all for these changes. We as a country have done so very little to reduce our emissions. It is a small thing that anybody can do. In the long run it will save money and the planet.

I’ve spent the last 30 years, off and on, understanding and writing about regulations. In a nutshell, regulations are promulgated to guide us to the way we can protect ourselves. What can and cannot go into the water, for example. What medicines are considered safe and effective and the necessary tests for getting them. CAFE standards for car. Removal of lead in paint and fuel. These things improve our health and save lives, save money.

I disagree strongly with your statement to List of X above that people know right from wrong. Some do, some don’t. Some get as close to the line as they can; some go a little bit over. Others plow right on through. Regulations are established so that we know where the line is. If/when it is crossed, there are penalties.

LIght bulbs are a little thing to change that will result in fewer CO2 emissions. Fewer CO2 emissions = fewer lung cancers. Fewer asthmatics and asthma attacks. Less bronchitis (lowering use of antibiotics, another good thing).

Lastly, it is not just about an individual choice. Cleaning up the environment benefits society — everybody. And society was created as a means of protecting ourselves and of progressing together.

Posted by Elyse | January 4, 2014, 10:46 am
    • Thank you for expressing your views. I agree with the fact that we need to protect our planet. I hope people use care to properly dispose of bulbs that contain mercury, should they buy them, or we are back to square one. People may not due to being unaware, similarly to those who flush their meds down the drain. Poison is poison.

In my comment to list of X, I said that most (not all) people are good and that those who cross the line of injuring people or damaging property should be held accountable. I’m not for anarchy.

Regarding the topic of regulation, I find it interesting that alcohol and nicotine are still legal. Both substances are involved in the deaths of millions people who have never even used them, yet they remain legal to purchase, with a valid ID. I’m not suggesting that they be made illegal, but questioning why they aren’t. Prohibition was attempted nearly a century ago but times have changed. As a society, wouldn’t we be better?

I hope the additional expense is worth it in the long run. I have a friend who bought a car for the mpg. It consistently runs 3 mpg lower than the average city estimate. She is a careful driver and is frustrated because every penny counts. The initial expense to purchase bulbs is freaking her out because she can barely afford food, after the other bills are paid. She doesn’t smoke or drink, and she doesn’t have cable or other nice to haves. She is marking the dates on the bulbs and will loudly protest if they don’t last years. To her, this is not a first world problem.

Thanks so much for reading and commenting. I hope we are still ok.

Posted by 1jaded1 | January 4, 2014, 2:18 pm
  18. I found this post very illuminating! ^ If anyone else said that up there they fecking stole it from me! They did the same thing here a couple of years back and we have to use those sucky low watt ones. By the time they warm up and become bright enough to see by the sun has risen and set about 7 times ffs. I think we should start a “Bring back the bloody bulbs” campaign.

Posted by The Indecisive Eejit | January 4, 2014, 9:37 pm
  19. Hey, I just got here ‘cos I’m reading Jan 3rd blogs on the 13th. So, so far behind. Jaded 1, I don’t think this lightbulb bullshit is about liberty or choice, I think it’s just about efficiency and energy economy. Your real issue is that Ermerica hasn’t been a truly free country since…well, ever I guess. We’re freer than most, arguably. At least our illusions are stronger.

Posted by Dylan Dailey | January 14, 2014, 2:09 am