Stuph

Blog For Mental Health 2014

“I pledge my commitment to the Blog for Mental Health 2014 Project. I will blog about mental health topics not only for myself, but for others. By displaying this badge, I show my pride, dedication, and acceptance for mental health. I use this to promote mental health education in the struggle to erase stigma.”

Anyone who has been following this blog for a while knows that I suffer from depression and that I’m an advocate for suicide prevention. I’ve blogged about both extensively amid the other stuph I post which I deem funny.

I’m not sure where I found it first, but I came across a blog called A Canvas of the Minds. You might have seen them mentioned on Twitter, Facebook, or even other blogs as people are talking about the launch of the Blog For Mental Health 2014 campaign. A Canvas For the Minds is a blog where discussion of mental health is prominent. They are doing their part to raise awareness about mental health, with the end goal being to remove the stigma attached to mental illness.

I’ve posted on multiple blogs about my dance with depression. It is a cruel, evil bitch that saps all of my energy, leaves me tired and exhausted, but won’t let me sleep. It takes me on emotional rollercoaster rides I did not stand in line for. It sometimes makes me behave in ways I normally wouldn’t. It swings my moods all around like a revolving door. It sometimes leaves me weeping without truly comprehending why.

I will be flying the Blog For Mental Health flag this year, not only to raise awareness about mental health, but for suicide, too, as mental illness is associated with roughly 90% of suicides. Suicide, as most of my long-time followers know, is something near and dear to me, and has been a part of my life in some form or another over the past 16 years.

A Canvas For the Minds has asked for the introductory post to perhaps detail a bit about my dealings with depression. I have done that many times, so instead of regurgitating it all here, I’ll take you on a little trip through the blogosphere (a whole new wooooooooooorld!) where I have posted regarding my bouts with depression.

I don’t blame you if you don’t click on all of those links. That’s a lot to digest. Just know that I was diagnosed with depression when I was 13, was treated for about a year or two, then dismissed the fact that I even had it until about a year and a half ago, to the detriment of my second marriage. Both mothers of my children have mental illness in their families so the chances my children develop a mental illness of some sort is extremely probable. So I need to stay vigilant and support this cause not only for myself, but for my children as well. I need them to know it’s okay to talk about it and ask for help if they feel they need it.

Even if you don’t suffer from mental illness, chances are someone you know does. Well, you know, besides me. So someone else you know does. Anyhow, this is a very noble and worthy cause to support. Many people suffer in silence because they’re afraid to admit there’s something wrong inside of them, and it just shouldn’t be that way. I encourage you to check out A Canvas Of The Minds and support them and any other sites which promote mental health awareness.

Link: Blog For Mental Health 2014 | A Canvas Of The Minds.

102 thoughts on “Blog For Mental Health 2014

1. Haven’t been following along for that long, and didn’t know that. Thanks for sharing. I will check out the links.

Posted by Trent Lewin | January 15, 2014, 8:59 am
  2. Good for you, TD.

Posted by merbear74 | January 15, 2014, 8:59 am
  3. Good post, TD.

I too suffer from Mental Illness.

Take any 3 or 4 letters from the alphabet, throw them together and add the word “syndrome” or “disorder” and I’ve got it. :)

One line in the post that stood out to me was “suffer in silence”. I did for many years. I thought I was simply weird or something. Instead, I found out I needed help..

If you suspect that you or someone you know is mentally ill, please seek or urge the other person to seek professional help. It could save your life.

Don’t “suffer in silence”.

Posted by Fearless Leader | January 15, 2014, 9:02 am
    • Thanks for your comment, man. I’m sorry to hear about your alphabetical disorders, but the important thing is the you finally sought treatment for it.

I ignored mine for years, somehow convincing myself that I was fine. There is nothing wrong with admitting you have a problem or seeking help for it. That is the message we need to get out there.

Posted by Twindaddy | January 15, 2014, 9:05 am
  4. I should look into that . . . I was a Canvas author a couple of times.

Posted by aliceatwonderland | January 15, 2014, 9:23 am
  5. Glad to see you make the pledge. I know you would probably write about these issues anyway, but there is something empowering about joining together with others.
    Looks like you may have recruited a few more people to the project, too.

Posted by cynkingfeeling | January 15, 2014, 9:45 am
  6. You have the best motivator and light to follow – your kids. I don’t see how you’ll fail.

Posted by BrainRants | January 15, 2014, 9:53 am
  7. Rock on, TD, and you are supported in your quest for mental health.

No one should have to struggle alone.

Posted by El Guapo | January 15, 2014, 9:54 am
  8. I think it’s fantastic you’re being an advocate for mental health and that very tricky subject of suicide as well.
    ‘ive really suffer from mental illness, and i always find it interesting to find out what other people do to cope with this horrible illness. the whole reason i’ve started blogging to express myself, and i really thgink me following your blog could really help me. I look forward to more posts from you this year!

Posted by uniqueblogme | January 15, 2014, 10:18 am
  9. I’m manic depressive, so at least I get highs to go with the lows… can’t do meds or my emotions flat line… used to self-medicate so I had some control over when I was up or down… I feel your pain…

Posted by pouringmyartout | January 15, 2014, 11:02 am
  10. I’m taking this post to heart. I absolutely will blog about mental health issues. I’ve been struggling with these issues myself. For the life of me, I can never figure out, how I can be depressed, and have a sense of humor at the same time. Of course, they are never in the same room…
    I agree with you. Depression is an evil evil bitch.

Posted by Krishnan P Nair | January 15, 2014, 12:45 pm
  11. This was touching. Suicide is dear to you… Reading that kind of made this all kick in really hard.
    If there’s one thing I’ve discovered through the years I have been blogging, is how many people are struggling with depression or any other mental illness, depression on top though. Almost everyone around seems to struggle with it or seems to have struggled with it. If you think about it, it means almost everyone has problems with being happy, or else it means that unhappy people are more likely to start a blog.
    Whatever it is, I wish everyone the best support and Ii dearly, dearly hope they’ll all find a way to leave the darkness behind. The same counts for you. It’s very brave to write this all and I sincerely wish you a bright future with puppies and kittens.

Posted by No Blog Intended | January 15, 2014, 12:54 pm
    • Thanks, hon. I have found that a lot of bloggers do suffer some sort of mental trauma, whether it be illness or abuse. Or sometimes both. Writing is a very valuable therapeutic tool, which is likely why so many of us blog.

Thank you for your kind words and well wishes.

Posted by Twindaddy | January 15, 2014, 12:56 pm
  12. My ex has it all over his family. I have to stay vigilant for my kids, too. Thanks for this.

Posted by T. D. Davis | January 15, 2014, 3:08 pm
  13. That is a really good thing to do. Spreading awareness about mental health and getting rid of the stigma is really necessary.
    When I told my parents about it, they were not able to believe or understand anything about it. I went to a psychiatrist once and that was all about it. All is forgotten now but for the sumptuous venom that brews within me.

Posted by anmol(alias HA) | January 15, 2014, 3:38 pm
  14. Good on you for flying the flag. I’ll get out my soapbox for your cause any time it’s required. I would say I’d dust it off, but it’s been getting a lot of use lately. Either I need to go on a political diet or I need a bigger soap box!

Posted by stephrogers | January 15, 2014, 5:40 pm
  15. YOU ROCK!!

Posted by Daile | January 15, 2014, 6:04 pm
  16. This is amazing! Can I sign up? Just click the Canvas link, right? Totally something I feel very compelled to support. I’ll be reading up on this site later tonight. Thanks so much for spreading this, TD! ♥

Posted by DaydreamsInWonderland | January 15, 2014, 7:56 pm
  17. Hey TD-
    There is a lot of mental illness in my family, and I too, have suffered depression in the past. I actually posted about it, and expected to only have my small following read about it- only to have it Freshly Pressed. That, which I’m grateful for, was also incredibly confronting – suddenly I had 300 comments to respond to. Many of them intense. 50 are still in my queue.

My whole post started as a concern for my son, and whether he may have inherited his issues from my genetics- so I applaud this effort very much. You’re awesome! I’m really looking forward to getting to know you better.

Posted by samara | January 15, 2014, 9:12 pm
  18. Thank you Twindaddy. Have just reactivated my -other- blog which deals solely with the Wild Wild World of Depression. Placed you on the Blogroll, hope you don’t mind.
    Be well.

Posted by Rachael Black | January 15, 2014, 9:58 pm
  19. I once had an insurance company raise my premium $300 per year because of depression-related insomnia, which I no longer suffered from, but it was part of my medical history. Thank you for sharing your story. I hope this cause does help to lift the stigma attached to mental illness. I have a family member who denies his mental illness. He believes he can overcome depression and suicidal thoughts with prayer and a positive attitude. It is very frustrating.

Posted by Robin | January 15, 2014, 10:31 pm
  20. Going to check out some of your links now. I think it’s powerful and brave to share your story and I’m sure you’re helping a lot of people by doing so.

Posted by findingninee | January 15, 2014, 10:38 pm
  21. I will be supporting you.

Posted by 1jaded1 | January 15, 2014, 11:03 pm
  22. Awesome. Love that you’re doing this. I don’t know if you’ve read any of my posts where I mention this but I work at a psychiatric hospital so discussions around mental illness and suicide happen a lot. It is so so so important that we talk about these things because like you said– so many people are suffering in silence because they either don’t realize the help they can receive, they don’t have an understanding of what they’re experiencing, or they’re afraid of the stigma. Everyone knows or will know someone who lives with a mental illness– It has become so normal for me to receive a text or email or facebook message from someone I haven’t heard from in years who is dealing with someone in crisis and has absolutely no idea what to do. That has to change.
    Long ramble over. Thanks for writing about this stuff.
    I mean.. stuph.

Posted by Aussa Lorens | January 15, 2014, 11:13 pm
  23. TD, it’s great that you’re doing this. I’m new at your posse, and I didn’t know about your struggles with depression. I myself have various mental illnesses, including bipolar disorder. A noble cause. I’ll be reading.

Posted by Nadia | January 16, 2014, 5:15 am
  24. Love to see people doing this and helping to spread awareness,education and support! I too will check out the links since I’m fairly new around here.

Posted by My Muted Voice | January 16, 2014, 8:56 am
  25. Thank you so much for supporting and sharing this. One of the things we’re really trying to emphasize this year is that even if you don’t have a diagnosed mental illness yourself, someone you know does. Moreover, mental health is not just the business of “the mentally ill”, so I appreciate so much you making the same point about it affecting others as well.

Take care,
    Ruby

Posted by Ruby Tuesday | January 16, 2014, 9:19 am

1. Pingback: Alice In Her Own Wonderland. | W.T.F. - January 15, 2014

2. Pingback: My Labels - You Won't Tame this Sassy Cat - January 16, 2014

3. Pingback: BLOGGING FOR MENTAL HEALTH – LIKE MY LIFE DEPENDS ON IT | Phoenix Fights - January 18, 2014

4. Pingback: Stuphblog | The Official Blog For Mental Health Project - February 17, 2014