Editorials

Can A Prank Go Too Far?

Surely you’ve all seen the old show Punk’d where Ashton Kutcher plays elaborate pranks on fellow celebrities. You’d laugh along while the looks on those being Punk’d would say, “Is this shit really happening to me?” At the end of the episode the prank would be revealed and everyone would have a hardy laugh. And possibly utter a colorful string of curse words.

In the end, no one was ever hurt and it was all hilarious. Well, most of the time. But can you go too far with a prank? Can carrying out a convincing prank be irresponsible and dangerous?

I think so.

I was scrolling through Facebook feed the other day, bored as all get-out, when I happened upon the following video.

In case you’re at work and can’t watch the clip, or if you’re like me and don’t always have the time or inclination to watch videos, I’ll break it down for you: some dude in a hockey mask is terrorizing folks in the ‘hood with a chainsaw and chasing them down the street, Friday the 13th style.

Admittedly, it’s kind of funny to watch the reactions of people when they see an obviously deranged man coming after them with a live chainsaw. Folks are literally falling over each other to get away from the chainsaw-wielding menace. But what if something went wrong? What if one of those people decided to defend him or herself instead of running? What if one of those people had a conceal/carry license and decided to invoke the Stand Your Ground law? What if this hypothetical person whipped his or her pistol out and frantically started pulling the trigger?

I think someone threatening you with a chainsaw is sufficient reason to defend yourself.

I’m all for a good prank, but there needs to be a line drawn somewhere. Putting a bear in someone’s car or dressing up as the FBI and raiding someone’s house under the guise of tax fraud (famous Punk’d pranks) are certainly things I’d never want to experience, but could probably laugh off after the prank was revealed. However, someone inducing life-threatening fear as part of a prank is not something I think I could look past. Someone could have been seriously injured or worse during this stunt, and the person responsible for this prank needs to be aware of the possible consequences of pulling such a ruse.

As with all things in life, moderation is key. We all love to have a good laugh, especially at the expense of others, but most of us don’t enjoy soiling ourselves in life-threatening fear. Let’s be responsible with our pranks.

*It’s purely coincidental that this was published on April Fool’s Day. I promise.

87 thoughts on “Can A Prank Go Too Far?

1. The Dumbass pulling this prank is very lucky he didn’t cross paths with a strong proponent of the 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States.

Good post, TD.

Liked by 1 person

Posted by Fearless Leader | April 1, 2014, 8:20 am
  2. I agree 100% TD. I’ve seen this done to the extreme a few times and often wondered how long (not if) before someone got killed or seriously injured. My wife and I were on a tour of a dungeon in Salem, Mass one day (where they held witches pending destruction) and there were “mummys” standing in some of the corners. Some were real actors and when visitors would come around a darkened corner, the mummys would jump out at them with a roar. It occurred to me that if a war vet who was trained to kill happened to walk by, there’d be one less mummy in the world. Or how about an elderly person with a heart problem? Who ever designed that display didn’t think very much. Course, that would be about right, mummys are brain dead. aren’t they?

Posted by Paul | April 1, 2014, 8:26 am
    • Indeed they are. It’s one thing to knowingly walk into a haunted house, but if you’re just walking down the street and some shit like this happens someone could react in a way you’re not expecting, and bad things will happen.

Posted by Twindaddy | April 1, 2014, 8:28 am
  3. Couldn’t agree more – he’s lucky he wasn’t shot dead by passing police, let alone members of the public – and I genuinely feel for those people he chased..not sure how I’d cope in that situation, having luckily never been chased by apparently homicidal maniacs but I’d imagine that discovering it’s a prank might not make the possible near-death experience go away in its entirety – what if some of those people had been attacked previously, hardly ever went out because of social phobias, suffered with shock or had a heart attack as a result? Oops, I’ve inadvertently started ranting in your comments section, ha ha ;-)

Posted by Lydia Devadason | April 1, 2014, 8:26 am
  4. What a fucking moron. He is lucky to be alive. Plus, prank or no prank, he committed assault with a deadly weapon. If he happened to get arrested and the system overlooked the prank part, his ass could be parked in prison for a felony. Now THAT would be hilarious.

Posted by 1jaded1 | April 1, 2014, 8:30 am
  5. The gif of Elijah Wood is my new favorite thing of all time… for about the next twenty minutes. :D
    Also, pranks endangering someone’s safety or well-being is just idiotic.

Posted by E. | April 1, 2014, 8:56 am
  6. Yes! Talk about stupid. If those idiots got a bullet in the chest, it sure as hell would be hard to blame the one doing it. Certainly more reasonable to shoot a guy with a chainsaw than one with a juice box. I love the video clip where the guy jumps out of a trashcan and gets punched in the face by the guy he was scaring.

Liked by 1 person

Posted by aliceatwonderland | April 1, 2014, 9:18 am
  7. As I was watching that, near the end the end, I thought “If I was in the car I would have run that fucker down” What if one of them had a bad heart and that caused a heart attack? Jumping out with a mask is one thing, but with the amount of coverage of mass killers, it is easy to see how someone would have been in their right to shoot him.

Posted by Al | April 1, 2014, 10:03 am
  8. that’s not funny. I’d have him arrested.

Posted by icescreammama | April 1, 2014, 10:29 am
  9. If it makes you piss yourself – it’s gone tooooo far…and not piss yourself from laughter…

Posted by Rutabaga the Mercenary Researcher | April 1, 2014, 10:44 am
  10. You may not remember my series of posts about our practical jokes that went way too far… and they started off as a contest to see who could make the most people run away screaming or barf… or both at the same time… and I won…

Posted by pouringmyartout | April 1, 2014, 11:12 am
  11. Can’t we go back to everyone pretending they got married or pregnant? It’s a classic and never gets old

Posted by anolivedaily | April 1, 2014, 11:37 am
  12. Wow he was playing with fire. I found it interesting that in the video, the car backed away rather than driving at him.

Posted by behindthemask | April 1, 2014, 12:01 pm
  13. That is about the stupidest prank you could pull, for all the reasons you stated. And yes that’s way over lines. My husband tried that “jump out of a closet” trick on me once, before he knew in the fight or fight response mine is hit first THEN run away. A guy running down the street with a live chainsaw? He is lucky he didn’t accidentally hurt someone or get hurt/killed himself!

Posted by C.K. Hope | April 1, 2014, 12:41 pm
  14. Once, on my last night working a particular restaurant, there was a going-away prank set up for me.
    I heard about it, and spent the rest of the shift scowling, with a 10″ chefs knife in plain view close by.
    The prank was not pulled.
    It was a good night.

I’m not a fan of any but good natured pranks.

Posted by El Guapo | April 1, 2014, 12:45 pm
  15. Did you see the youtube video from a while ago where a bunch of friends hooked up a whole series of kegs to the water supply into their buddies house? Every tap in the house ran beer. The faucets, the shower, the … well, you get the idea.

Posted by djmatticus | April 1, 2014, 12:46 pm
  16. ew, that’s terrifying!

Posted by jenbrunett | April 1, 2014, 1:44 pm
  17. The pranks that are the sensible ones are the ones you can kind of see coming, so that the person being pranked kind of has the option to back out of it. (Like the bucket of water above the door trick – we did that with the chalk board eraser at high school, and it got so that everyone would kick open the form room door before entering, to make sure they didn’t get got.)

Posted by faithhopechocolate | April 1, 2014, 3:13 pm
  18. After watching the video, I’m wondering what was behind the prank. Why go to all that trouble? And risk? The video doesn’t address any of that.

Posted by abundance in the boondocks | April 1, 2014, 3:46 pm
  19. I’m all for pranking, but some motherfucker arrives on my porch with a Jason mask and chain saw, he’s gonna get DQ’d from the Darwin Race.

Posted by BrainRants | April 1, 2014, 7:02 pm
  20. Yeah, that was just dumb and dangerous. Period.

Posted by AreYouFinishedYet | April 1, 2014, 7:13 pm
  21. The chainsaw thing. If he was on my porch, I could have died of a heart attack. You are right, he might have found someone wanting justice at the end of a gun. As far as being punk’d in general. I hate surprises. I don’t think I’d be the best sport. (I hope I would be — but not sure.)

Posted by southmainmuse | April 1, 2014, 8:24 pm
  22. Ashamed to say I kinda laughed. Dude doesn’t really move like Kane Hodor though.

Posted by Trent Lewin | April 1, 2014, 9:15 pm
  23. I hate pranks! Also, I have heart problems. That shit could give me a stroke.

Posted by maurnas | April 1, 2014, 9:33 pm
  24. While I’m not a prankster, I grew up loving Candid Camera, the per-cursor of Punk’d. The difference? Very much the same differences we see in society today.

Candid Camera’s pranks never hurt anyone. They involved simple things acting strangely: bowling pins that would fall down for non-bowlers. There was one I remember but can’t find on YouTube — the pins would go down, but then pop back up again after the ball knocked them down, radio volumes going up as you turned it down. They would not involve anything that anyone could consider threatening behavior.

Because threatening behavior is scary. And our world if full of assholes.

Posted by Elyse | April 1, 2014, 10:51 pm
  25. Wow. America. Certainly is the home of the brave.

Posted by stephrogers | April 2, 2014, 12:34 am
  26. If he’s dumb enough to pull a dangerous prank like that, then he’s earned the bullet hole and any other bodily harm he may acquire from the stunt.

Posted by bardictale | April 2, 2014, 5:35 am
  27. Ummm yeah, I’d forkstab a bitch that came after me with a chainsaw (after the fact, that is. I obviously wouldn’t try to fight off a chainsaw with a fork)..

Posted by ardenrr | April 2, 2014, 11:09 am
  28. There are so many people out there with PTSD–this would surely be enough to send them spinning.

Posted by jennbird77 | April 2, 2014, 5:55 pm
  29. I’m so glad to see a consensus that this shit is ridiculous, and the jerk is really lucky not to have been run over.

Posted by Stephanie Scott | April 2, 2014, 7:46 pm
  30. Man. I agree with everyone: It’s an effing miracle someone didn’t get shot. Yikes.

Posted by Larks | April 3, 2014, 4:27 pm
  31. Moderation is the word – the clip was too long! I couldn’t wait for it to end!

Posted by benzeknees | April 9, 2014, 2:58 pm