Life

The Bird That Had A Bad Day

I went into work early yesterday. Getting a jump start on shipping things, I began boxing a few radios around 10 o’clock (normally, I don’t start until around noon). After I had done a couple of them, I saw some movement out of the corner of my eye. Turning to look, I saw a cardinal had hopped out from underneath one of the racks in the room. When it’s hot outside, they leave the dock doors open to get a breeze coming through. So, having birds in the warehouse isn’t a new thing.

The bird just looked around for a few seconds. Not having time to stand there and watch it, I went back to work on the next box. I scanned the radio’s serial number into the computer and the printer kicked on to start an invoice. The sound of the printer must have scared the bird, because it took off. I figured it was flying out of the room I was in (which is called the packing room because that’s where we pack the radios. Clever, right?) and was going out into the warehouse. A second later, however, I heard a big thud.

The cardinal had flown into one of the windows in the room.

There was a table in between me and where the bird hit, so it took me a few seconds to walk to where I could see if the bird was still laying on the floor. It wasn’t. I may have investigated further, but the phone rang, indicating that UPS was there to drop off packages for me to receive. I put the bird out of my mind and went to work.

I spent around two hours in the receiving room (I’ll bet you don’t know why we call it that) inputting the radios we had just gotten in into the computer. When I was finished with that, I went back into the packing room. Before I could do any more packing, the Japanese lady called to me through the window that leads into the tech room. As I talked to her through the window, I started hearing a rustling sound. Then, some chirping.

I looked at where the sounds were coming from…. the garbage can that sits next to the window the cardinal ran into. That’s when the garbage bag started moving. Yep. It had fallen into the trash can after it hit the glass.

I immediately told the Japanese woman about it and she started freaking out. She told me to hold on and not do anything. Ok. Whatever. I went back to work.

A few minutes later (it takes some time to get out of the tech room because of the special things you have to wear inside there), she emerged and began dragging the trash can away. I continued what I was doing because I wanted to finish it before lunch, which was in a couple of minutes.

I did what I needed to do and walked to the time clock, passing her dragging the can back on my way. At the clock, I met up with a guy who works in the tech room. He told me that when she let the cardinal out of the can, it hadn’t flown, so it may have been injured. The guy also told me that he noticed that the bird didn’t have any tail feathers. I hadn’t noticed that when I saw it earlier. Then, he told me how that had happened.

A couple of the women, who work in the warehouse, had been talking when they saw the Japanese woman releasing the bird. They had said that it was the second time that day that the bird had to be rescued from something. Apparently, when they had gotten there that morning, someone had found the cardinal stuck in one of the glue traps that had been put down to catch mice. One of them had been able to unstick the bird from the trap, but it lost its tail feathers in the process.

To sum up: the bird got stuck in a trap, lost its feathers to get out of it, flew headfirst into a window, fell into a trash can, and was stuck in it for two hours before someone finally let it out.

That bird needed a shot of whiskey after that day…..

About Revis Edgewater

I'm Revis Edgewater, the world's only zombie killing rogue ninja. I'm also the First Knight of the Matticus Kingdom. I write stuph that's 33 grams of whatever I'm writing about.

31 thoughts on “The Bird That Had A Bad Day

1. Funny, I usually have had a bad day at work already before I start thumping my head against the windows…

Posted by El Guapo | April 26, 2014, 11:47 pm
  2. Poor birdie.

Posted by 1jaded1 | April 27, 2014, 12:47 am
  3. Nice the bird was rescued. I generally avoid windows that early in the day.

Posted by Valentine Logar | April 27, 2014, 7:29 am
  4. I can only think of what happened after your story ended. Without tail feathers the cardinal (Oh I miss seeing them! We have none in the western states) he had no chance.
    Thoughts like these are why I drank whisky!

Posted by R. C. Black-Raven | April 27, 2014, 11:55 am
  5. And you could have saved it from that so much earlier. Tsk Tsk. He can now no longer dance to Ray Charles.. “Bend over, let me see you shake your tailfeathers.”

Posted by Not Quite Alice | April 27, 2014, 4:01 pm
  6. I feel sorry for the bird. When I worked in a warehouse I tried to help birds/animals out whenever I could – they were often getting inside and getting lost/hurt. Our warehouse bordered on a swamp, and like you we used to leave transport doors open in summer for the breeze. Our biggest problem was muskrats. Ha! I recall one day a disoriented muskrat ran under a stack of empty pallets in receiving and one of the warehousemen unthinkingly reached under to pull him out. Well the muskrat was scared senseless and latched onto the guy’s hand with its teeth and wouldn’t let go. The guy was dancing around , screaming as the muskrat sailed back and forth on the end of his arm. Eventually the muskrat let go and ran out the door. The warehouseman had to go to the hospital for shots and stitches. I went into the break room later in the day and someone had wrtten on the big chalkboard in front: “MUSKRAT -1 SHAWN-0″

Posted by Paul | April 27, 2014, 4:59 pm
  7. Poor thing! But I can’t help but think that particular cardinal was a little low in the brain cell department…

Posted by nancytex2013 | April 27, 2014, 9:23 pm
  8. Poor guy.

Posted by bardictale | April 28, 2014, 3:14 pm
  9. Sometimes I am EXACTLY that bird.

Posted by hastywords | April 28, 2014, 5:38 pm
  10. Poor bird. But funny!

Posted by faithhopechocolate | April 29, 2014, 8:48 am
  11. Considering their short life spans, this poor Cardinal probably spent 10% of its life stuck in your warehouse. Maybe it felt lucky to keep escaping all the dangers?

Posted by benzeknees | April 29, 2014, 1:38 pm
  12. If that bird could flip the bird, I bet it would…

Posted by pouringmyartout | May 6, 2014, 1:47 pm