25 Days 25 Songs

25 Days, 25 Songs: Day 2

Day 1 of the 25 Days, 25 Songs challenge was spectacular! It was great to see the variety of music everyone picked and the memories each song evoked. Today’s challenge will probably bring out a bit of bitterness in some of us. It’ll be interesting to see today’s music.

25-songs-blog-challenge5

Day 2

My most recent ex is Superbitch, after our umpteenth attempt to fit a square peg into a round hole. There are many songs I associate with our time together, but the one that sticks out the most is All Messed Up by Breaking Point.

This song describes a man’s love for his woman, and basically how he hates being apart from her.

When Superbitch and I began dating, we lived about a half an hour apart. I often say I live in Cincinnati when people ask, because I live in its suburbs and if I used the name of the actual city I live in folks would scratch their heads in bewilderment. I live in Northern Kentucky, about 20 minutes south of Cincinnati. Superbitch actually lived a few miles north of downtown, which meant we lived about 30 minutes apart.

Our available time was already cut in half, because I refused to let her meet the twins initially. They were just turning 7 as we began dating, and were having enough trouble dealing with the divorce of their mother and I. I didn’t want to further confuse them by bringing someone into their lives I wasn’t sure would be a permanent part of their lives. I didn’t want a revolving door of different people adding to their already turbulent lives. And sometimes it didn’t make sense to spend an hour driving, nor the gas money to do so, on weeknights when there would be a limited amount of time we could spend together. So basically, we only were able to spend a couple of nights a week with each other, mainly on the weekend.

On those lonely nights, I listened to this song in between texting her, IMing her, and talking to her on the phone, and I’d let the words comfort me like a warm blanket fresh out of the dryer on a cold winter night.

Baby I’m all messed up in you
You’re far away
But you’re here with me
Baby I’m all messed up in you
You’re all I need
My everything

To this day I still think of that time in my life whenever I hear this song. There was a while after our break up that I would skip this song if it came on my playlist, but that time has passed. It really is an excellent song and the pain associated with it is now safely ensconced in my rearview. I can once again enjoy this song.

Audience Participation Time!

What song reminds you of your most recent ex?

Check my sidebar for links to other blogs taking the 25 Days, 25 Songs challenge!

127 thoughts on “25 Days, 25 Songs: Day 2

1. Anything by Neil Young. Rocky Raccoon by The Beatles. I Still Think Of You by MS MR.

Posted by Shackled and Crowned | May 2, 2014, 7:36 am
  2. Not a bad song. But it’s no Gambler. Just kidding. :D Nice that you can listen to it again without the baggage. After my first breakup, I couldn’t listen to songs with lyrics at all cause most of them were about lurrrrve.

Liked by 1 person

Posted by aliceatwonderland | May 2, 2014, 7:36 am
  3. Good tune.

Posted by merbear74 | May 2, 2014, 7:38 am
  4. i have to go waayy back to h.s. but i do remember crying to all at once by whitney and all cried out by lisa lisa and the cult jam. thanks for the memories. :)

Posted by icescreammama | May 2, 2014, 8:02 am
  5. My ex is a man twat and I refuse to acknowledge anything to do with him…at least for today.

I like your song though.

Posted by 1jaded1 | May 2, 2014, 8:39 am
  6. I could probably compile a long playlist of songs that remind of those from my past.
    Not something I have any interest in doing or revisiting, but I often stop and listen if one of those songs come up.
    Or stab at the buttons o change it as fast as possible.

Posted by El Guapo | May 2, 2014, 10:24 am
    • “Or stab at the buttons o change it as fast as possible.”

I felt that way about this song for quite some time, but I decided to take it back and not let it have any more power over me. Despite reminding me of her, those really were good times back in those days, despite how it all ended.

Posted by Twindaddy | May 2, 2014, 10:30 am
  7. I’m struck by the apartness in your togetherness, even at the start. Thanks for the awesome song. I’m adding it to my playlist.

Posted by EditMoi | May 2, 2014, 10:45 am
  8. I’ve never heard this until now. It’s lovely.x

Posted by scottishmomus | May 2, 2014, 11:19 am
  9. The song that reminds me of my ex is “Don’t Cry Out Loud” because when I was explaining to him for the 100th time why we had to split up, he was standing in the doorway, not wanting to leave, this song came on the radio, and he crumpled down to the floor wailing out loud. I stood there shaking my head… The song, him, our life bring over. I so hate that song now. And I hate that he was a knuckle-head and that I had to end it with him.

Posted by Marie | May 2, 2014, 11:53 am
  10. I offer the hugs now.

Posted by Mental Mama | May 2, 2014, 12:03 pm
  11. Nice one, strange isn’t it over time even with memories attached we can go back to songs and still listen.

Posted by Valentine Logar | May 2, 2014, 12:17 pm
  12. The lyrics/music touch you personally, this is all that really matters. I will opt for Pink Floyd’s, Dark Side of the Moon for all 25 days. : )

Posted by Pocahontas | May 2, 2014, 1:12 pm
  13. Also, I have had thoughts on the “square peg/round hole” analogy. What if the square was just a little bit bigger or the round hole a little bit bigger? Or, one or the other a little bit smaller? Hmmm? One is still square and the other round. My noggin’ never stops. It keeps me from my bouts of road rage. : )

Posted by Pocahontas | May 2, 2014, 1:24 pm
  14. I’ve been married nearly 27 years, so I can’t even begin to remember an ex. LOL

Posted by nancytex2013 | May 2, 2014, 1:58 pm
  15. Strange… I only have one song I associate with an ex: Blink 182’s “I Miss You.” This song came out right after we broke off our engagement and there are several lines that perfectly described how I was feeling at the time: “Where are you, and I’m so sorry” “hear your voice of treason” “Please come home and stop this pain tonight, stop this pain tonight”

Posted by djmatticus | May 2, 2014, 2:26 pm
  16. I was a USO girl in 1969-70. I attended dances at Fort Dix in New Jersey. I talked and danced with soldiers who were soon to leave for Vietnam Nam. I do not know who returned. My song for this prompt is dedicated to those men who had one night to enjoy music and conversation . The song played often at the dances was “Knock on Wood”. It may not represent an ex but close enough for me because I never saw any of the men I met again.

Posted by ScrapperJude Designs | May 2, 2014, 3:16 pm
  17. It was so hard not to take liberties with this one. We’re in the car, driving to Madison and I was writing about an ex mere inches away from legitimate Mr. Wonderful. Awkward. ;)

Posted by Quirky Chrissy | May 2, 2014, 5:16 pm
  18. First, I have to say that you were wise to make Superbitch wait to meet the twins, ’cause really? My mom made us meet all of her skanky lovers, and it was horrible. In fact, if you’re uber bored, go to my blog and find the post “red rocks concerts, the 80′s, and a mullet.” that shitstorm was my life in highschool. anyway. You ask what makes us think of recent exes. For me? (please don’t hate me – he was a jealous, controlling freak, but I loved him) The song The Dance from Garth Brooks. (I KNOW!!!!! UGH) reminds me of him, because, um… ok fine. I sent him the lyrics to it after we broke up. I KNOW I KNOW, but well I was trying to make him feel better and I like to try to be nice and whatever I’m shudding up now.

Posted by Kristi Campbell - findingninee | May 2, 2014, 8:11 pm
  19. Awesome. Maybe.

Posted by Kristi Campbell - findingninee | May 2, 2014, 8:49 pm
  20. Hey! A song I didn’t know! This was my least favorite of the challenge questions.

Posted by C.K. Hope | May 2, 2014, 11:32 pm
  21. mine wasn’t more of a breakup song but a song-game that reminded me of him–that still counts, right? i didn’t really hate him.

i mean, the dude brought me Star Wars.

Posted by mydarlingLia | May 3, 2014, 2:37 am
  22. I love this challenge you orchestrated, TD. I’ve been checking out everyone’s posts and they’re awesome… even though a lot are sad. ;) I wanted to participate but (1) I suck with music and (2) I’m so behind on reading it’s not even funny.

Anyway… *hugs*

Posted by rarasaur | May 3, 2014, 6:11 am
    • I’m happy with the turn out, though I can’t claim the idea. I stumbled across this challenge on another blog but she was already on Day 20. I asked if I could pilfer the idea and she acquiesced. So I ran with it.

Posted by Twindaddy | May 3, 2014, 7:53 am
  23. Glad you can now listen to the song without the tough memories. I have so many memories of dancing and listening to, REASONS by Earth Wind & Fire with x boyfriends. I particularly remember one boyfriend who was being a jerk while we were slow dancing to this song and I broke up with him right there and then. I can still see his face when I hear that song. :)

Posted by brickhousechick | May 3, 2014, 2:55 pm
  24. I told you I’d get around to catching up eventually! And I’m only three days late!! I love this and so wish I’d had my shit together enough to do the 25. I love this song, very much. I don’t remember hearing it before today. My pick would have been I Remember You by Skid Row.

Posted by Sandy Ramsey | May 6, 2014, 2:12 pm

1. Pingback: 25 Songs, 25 Days: day 2 | Other than Lovie - May 2, 2014

2. Pingback: 25 Songs Day 2 – Something that reminds me of my RECENT ex Boyfriend. – Bottle the Moments - May 2, 2014

3. Pingback: 25 Days, 25 Songs Day 2: A Song That Reminds You Of Your Most Recent Ex-Boyfried | ~xoxo, msL - May 3, 2014

4. Pingback: 25 Days, 25 Songs: Day 6 | Stuphblog - May 6, 2014