25 Days 25 Songs

25 Days, 25 Songs: Day 3

Day 2 of the 25 Days, 25 Songs challenge was…interesting. Some of you have fond memories of your ex’s and some of you…well, there’s just some of you. Moving onward! It’s time for Day 3! A song which reminds you of your parents.25 songs 25 days

Day 3

There are any number of songs which remind me of my parents. My parents and I have very different musical tastes. My dad listens to Oldies and Classic Rock. My mother listens to Adult Contemporary and Country. I listen to mostly Hard Rock with a few bits and pieces from various other genres sprinkled in for a nice, eclectic mix.

It’s gonna be tough to narrow this down to a single song. I mean, I could count off numerous Oldies to which I was forced to listen while strapped in the back of a car (by a seatbelt, Maphia, calm down) on the countless road trips we made when I was young. There are various silly songs my mother sang to me which her mom sang to her (but would never show up on YouTube) in addition to the many Country songs I was subjected to as a teenager. I won’t even mention how I was forced to listen to Celine Dion. Oh, wait…

Since I’m required, however, to choose only one song for the purposes of this challenge, I’m going to have to go with No One Else On Earth by Wynonna Judd.

It was the early 90’s. My parents were living apart. My dad had moved us to Washington Court House, Ohio because he no longer wanted to live anywhere near Atlanta. He wanted to move back to Cincinnati. Washington Court House was, ostensibly, the closest city in which he could find a job, yet was still and hour and a half away. My mom had stayed in Atlanta to sell our house. At least, that’s what I was told. These were the months leading up to their official separation so I don’t rightly know for certain.

That summer, we stayed with my mother in Atlanta. My mother was a completely different woman than the one I had come to know as a child. She was more relaxed. Laid back. She began showing some individuality. She was becoming more comfortable in her own skin. She was more fun to be around, I assume, because she was no longer walking around on eggshells and didn’t have to worry about displeasing my father since he wasn’t there to administer his caustic criticism.

One of the first things I noticed about my mother, the individual, was her taste in music. No longer did oldies dominate on the radio. My father’s despotic reach didn’t cover the hundreds of miles from Ohio to Georgia. My mother had begun listening to Country music radio. She bought Country music on cassette. One of the first albums she bought was Wynonna Judd’s Wynonna. The first single on that album was No One Else On Earth, which we listened to more times than a Valley Girl can say “like” in a single sentence.

I eventually came to like this song, which I blame on Stockholm Syndrome. The time would come when my mother and I would be cruising along the Georgia highways in her little gray Ford Escort, belting out the lyrics right along with Wynonna. I should probably be ashamed of that, but I love my mother and regret nothing.

Despite those troubled times, I have many found memories of that summer. We bonded quite a bit during those three months and I had a newfound respect for her by the time I had to return to Ohio to resume my education.

Audience Participation Time!

What song reminds you of your parents?

Check my sidebar for other blogs taking the 25 Days, 25 Songs challenge!

95 thoughts on “25 Days, 25 Songs: Day 3

1. I believe that is an awesome memory. Though I am Texan to the bone marrow, with only a few exceptions Wynonna being one of them, I do not like Country music. In fact most of it gets on my very last reserve nerve. I still have this one though, still have some of the songs off of it on my IPod, including this song.

Posted by Valentine Logar | May 3, 2014, 7:46 am
  2. Good deal. : )

Posted by Pocahontas | May 3, 2014, 8:15 am
  3. I can’t sleep. Fuck.

Posted by Pocahontas | May 3, 2014, 8:27 am
  4. Love this song!!! We both picked country, lol.

Posted by merbear74 | May 3, 2014, 8:31 am
  5. Never heard the song. Glad you and your mom were able to bond.

Posted by 1jaded1 | May 3, 2014, 8:45 am
  6. I don’t do drugs and I still can’t sleep.

Posted by Pocahontas | May 3, 2014, 8:58 am
  7. Cool. I really like the part where your Mom became happier. That’s a great Wynonna song – pefect for truckin’.

Posted by Paul | May 3, 2014, 9:22 am
  8. I love that you and you mom have such a great relationship.

Posted by overitblogdotcom | May 3, 2014, 10:36 am
  9. I love this. So touching and sweet. Go hug your mother :D

Posted by LauraALord | May 3, 2014, 10:49 am
  10. I love Wynonna Judd. There. I said it. (I had to stop to dance while I’m typing/listening.)

Long car rides are a good way to get to really get to know a person. Their music selections are another.

I’m not playing along because I have too much music in my head right now, but this one I know without a second thought. Some time well into adulthood I heard the story of how my parents met. My father was with a group of his buddies when he saw my mother and a group of her friends at a drive-in restaurant (before there were drive-through restaurants), and he serenaded her with Roy Orbison’s “Pretty Woman.” My dad did a great Roy Orbison. “Mercy.”

Posted by Hippie Cahier | May 3, 2014, 11:05 am
  11. Forcing anyone to listen to Celine Dion is cruel and unusual punishment. And I say this as a Canadian!

In other news, I didn’t realize how much I did the “like” thing in high school until I reread the inscriptions friends had left for me, mocking my manner of speech. (Hangs head in shame…)

Posted by nancytex2013 | May 3, 2014, 11:58 am
  12. How old were you during that summer? I am very curious because I’m trying to picture my 20 year old son singing with me in the car. :) When he was little he would sing with me, especially to James Taylor which was the first CD I ever gave him at the age of 6. :) As to a song that reminds me of my parents, it would have to be, En Mi Viejo San Juan (a classic song about Puerto Rico).

Posted by brickhousechick | May 3, 2014, 3:08 pm
  13. I like reading about sons being close to their moms. That’s a great thing. :)

Posted by Eva | May 3, 2014, 4:13 pm
  14. Memories of my Mom are sporadic, with the exception of the last few years of her life. A very fond memory I have is turning all three radios on in our apartment when Love Hurts by Nazareth came on. We would sing at the top of our lungs. I still crank it to this day.

Posted by Dawn | May 3, 2014, 8:24 pm
  15. Kind of amazing what songs come back when you stop and think about it. :)

Posted by Mental Mama | May 3, 2014, 9:49 pm
  16. Good for your mom. It must have been amazing for her to feel so empowered at last.

Posted by aliceatwonderland | May 4, 2014, 12:07 am
  17. Good strong song there. I can see why your Mom would play it a lot. I like the way you write about your Mom. The love shows :)

Posted by Sandy Ramsey | May 6, 2014, 4:58 pm
  18. All music reminds me of them… I come from a musical family.

Posted by pouringmyartout | May 7, 2014, 4:06 pm

1. Pingback: 25 Days, 25 Songs (Day 4) A Song That Calms You | seeking life - May 4, 2014

2. Pingback: 25 Days, 25 Songs Day 3: Mom and Dad | ~xoxo, msL - May 4, 2014