25 Days 25 Songs

25 Days, 25 Songs: Day 24

25 songs 25 days

Day 24 - A song you have danced to with your best friend

Let’s be honest, Maphia. Most guys just don’t dance. They certainly don’t dance together. Well, in my experience, anyhow. So this leaves me with the dubious task of picking a song I danced to with a female best friend, and since I only dance at weddings that means the only choice I have available to me here is Superbitch, who at one point was my best friend and someone I truly thought I would spend the rest of my life with. Ah, the ignorance of youth…

She and I danced together to many songs over our six-year relationship, most of them I don’t recall because drunk. The one I do recall once held a special place in my heart, because it represented so perfectly how I felt about our marriage. It was the song we first danced to as husband and wife, and I gently crooned it into her ears as we swayed back and forth across the dance floor.

Admittedly, I’m getting a little choked up at the moment. There was once a time when we both loved each other fully and deeply, and I have no idea how it all went so horribly wrong so fucking fast. There’s a line in the song which goes, “Only you and I can undo all that we became,” and that is precisely what happened. We undid it with stubbornness and not confiding in one another.

When I look back now I try to focus on the good things and not the bad, and remember that despite how fucked up it all turned out in the end I have a beautiful child as a result of this ill-fated marriage. That alone makes it all worth it.

Audience Participation Time!

What song have you danced to with a best friend?

Check the side bar for other blogs taking the 25 Days, 25 Songs challenge!

31 thoughts on “25 Days, 25 Songs: Day 24

1. I’m so glad I looked at this before leaving for the day. Ironically, I’m going to Little Dude’s hip hop dance recital! It will be a clusterfuck of insanity backstage; he’s in 2 different routines and I don’t make a good Dance Mom. I just let things go as they go.

It’s amazing how evocative music is. You hear a song, you relive all the feelings from when you lived that song. I have songs I cannot listen to, because it’s too much. Usually it’s the ones that are still freshest in my memory. The older ones have that old ache that is almost tolerable.

Like what you feel when you listen to your wedding song.

It was really brave of you to post that song, because I know it makes you relive old memories. I hope you don’t spend the day in a haze of should haves and could haves and what the fuck happened.

Oh, let’s see. A song I have danced to with a best friend? I’m a girl, so that’s easier. Women LOVE to dance together, at parties, weddings, clubs. It’s easier for us to cut loose, I think?

Over the years, I have danced like crazy to Sister Sledge’s “We Are Family” with best girlfriends. After all, “I got all my sisters with me” is something you just CAN’T resist if it comes through the sound system and you’re with your besties.

xo,
    S

P.S. FIRST!!

Posted by samara | May 24, 2014, 7:35 am
  2. It takes two to tango and well, the rest is just this. : ) Nice.

Posted by Pocahontas | May 24, 2014, 7:37 am
  3. Reblogged this on hocuspocus13.

Posted by hocuspocus13 | May 24, 2014, 8:12 am
  4. Yesterday my divorce from a man I loved for 17 years was final. It takes two you know? When the judge said ‘I will grant your petition for divorce’, it was only me standing there with my attorney and I only felt relief, it was done. I didn’t ask why anymore. Maybe I will someday, but then? I only thought ‘Done’.

This is pretty, I get it. It made me sad.

Posted by Valentine Logar | May 24, 2014, 8:39 am
  5. Mannnny songs. That’s the upside of being a young female with friends who are willing to go dancing with me. I’ve danced in discos and cafes but also on stage.
    The one song that I will always remember because it’s a good song and because I heard it twice on two different nights with two different very good friends, is Gas Gas by Goran Bregovic. Instant groove! GAS GAS – GAS GAS GAS GAS!

Posted by No Blog Intended | May 24, 2014, 11:40 am
  6. It makes me sad that dudes don’t dance with dudes. I’m not talking slow dancing, just get up on your feet and jump -jump -jump around kind of dancing. It’s such fun, why deny yourself this simple pleasure in life?

Posted by Marie | May 24, 2014, 1:16 pm
  7. My best friend respects the fact that I don’t like to dance. She doesn’t really like to dance either, so no song.

Posted by 1jaded1 | May 24, 2014, 2:59 pm
  8. Pretty song and I’m sorry things went so wrong. I really am.

Posted by Sandy Ramsey | May 24, 2014, 4:25 pm
  9. Songs can be such triggers. I have a few songs that I can’t listen to anymore, and if I do it feels like some kind of cathartic journey through crazy town.

Posted by stephrogers | May 24, 2014, 7:22 pm
  10. Hahahha. This tab was still hangin’ out. I clicked on it and there was that word again. I can’t help but laugh at your delivery. Too funny. : )

Posted by Pocahontas | May 24, 2014, 7:49 pm
  11. As Texan, I have to shout out to this song and Clint Black.
    (Whatever happened to him? The construction worker from Houston)
    Great post.
    Sorry for bad things that happen to good marriages.
    (recently posted on this same subject)

Cheers,
    Lance

Liked by 1 person

Posted by LAMarcom | May 24, 2014, 7:53 pm
  12. Sigh. That song is so beautiful but I felt sadness for you! “…and I gently crooned it into her ears as we swayed back and forth across the dance floor.” That is one of the most romantic things I have heard! I am glad you have your beautiful child as a result. :)

Posted by brickhousechick | May 25, 2014, 3:32 pm
  13. You have a very soft, romantic place in your heart. Loved this post.

Posted by Jean | May 25, 2014, 11:58 pm
  14. I felt your feelings on this one and got a bit chocked up myself. I, sadly, relate…

Posted by hastywords | June 6, 2014, 11:35 am

1. Pingback: May Music, Day 25 – Slainte To The Music. | scottishmomus - May 25, 2014